How Do I Make a Cache?

crispytoast9

Ever since I have started geocaching (last week) I have envisioned many caches. The only problem is, I want a large cache in a micro cache world. Are there any limits on how I large can make a cache and are there any suggestions on what it should look like, be made out of, etc. Also if you have ideas for other caches to make and how to make one that could help. Thanks for the feedback! :D

Ever since I have started geocaching (last week) I have envisioned many caches. The only problem is, I want a large cache in a micro cache world. Are there any limits on how I large can make a cache and are there any suggestions on what it should look like, be made out of, etc. Also if you have ideas for other caches to make and how to make one that could help. Thanks for the feedback! :D

Look at what you have found. You'll see what makes a good cache and what doesn't. If you haven't found enough to be able to tell, then find some more. The best way to tell is by looking at the other caches.

It's hard to say what will and won't work-a cache in my area has to be able to survive from -40 to +40, or for the Americans -40 to 104. Hot and dry, to lots of rain, to 5 feet of snow, all within a month. Bison tubes, ammo cans and LnL's all hold up to that. Almost anything else with metal will rust, and with plastic will crack, unless it is well sheltered. Where you are might be very dry, and warm so you could get away with more types of containers.

Ammo cans, Bison Tube, and LnL's tend to be good all around containers, but if you have something else that will work, or something you want to try go ahead and use it, just expect to replace any unique container in case it doesn't make a good cache. There is no limit to how small, how well camo'd, how much it stands out, or how big a cache can be...

Edited by T.D.M.22

Look at what you have found. You'll see what makes a good cache and what doesn't. If you haven't found enough to be able to tell, then find some more. The best way to tell is by looking at the other caches.

It's hard to say what will and won't work-a cache in my area has to be able to survive from -40 to +40, or for the Americans -40 to 104. Hot and dry, to lots of rain, to 5 feet of snow, all within a month. Bison tubes, ammo cans and LnL's all hold up to that. Almost anything else with metal will rust, and with plastic will crack, unless it is well sheltered. Where you are might be very dry, and warm so you could get away with more types of containers.

Ammo cans, Bison Tube, and LnL's tend to be good all around containers, but if you have something else that will work, or something you want to try go ahead and use it, just expect to replace any unique container in case it doesn't make a good cache. There is no limit to how small, how well camo'd, how much it stands out, or how big a cache can be...

Thanks I was considering making it out of a 5 gallon bucket. Any ideas on what I could do with that? (And I live in Northeast Ohio so one day it could be 100F and the next -40F)

Just so you are aware, those 5-gallon PVC buckets do not last very long. They become brittle standing outside (UV rays) -- even more-so in bitter cold conditions. Also, if you are using the standard snap-lock lid, be aware that many finders may not be capable of opening (or closing properly) that lid.

You can make the bucket less susceptible to UV rays, but the lid opening and removal is a problem for many.

Personally, I wouldn't use one.

Thanks I was considering making it out of a 5 gallon bucket. Any ideas on what I could do with that? (And I live in Northeast Ohio so one day it could be 100F and the next -40F)

I have used them, and I'd say not to. First off, it's guaranteed someone won't close it properly. That means two things-1) you'd need the logbook in a separate container, perhaps a small LnL.

2) My buckets that start out with no swag all had some in them when I checked-and since they don't get closed properly, the swag turns to a big mess.

And look at the part I have bolded. I'm telling you to find more caches, and I've told you why. And there's a reason lots of people will say to get a good amount of finds before you place. 10? 50? 100? I can't say, but the more finds you have, the more you learn what's good, and what's bad...It's better than taking my advice, as I'm probably a couple thousand miles away from you...

Edited by T.D.M.22

I was considering making it out of a 5 gallon bucket. Any ideas on what I could do with that? (And I live in Northeast Ohio so one day it could be 100F and the next -40F)

Check out "Gamma Seal" lids for buckets. I've only seen one cache that used it (not including my two bucket cache containers I've never placed). That container usually has way more water in it than I'd have thought was possible. And it used to have the typical, horrible press-on lid that came with the original bucket with lots of water inside. But now with the new lid, at least it's easy to open (and would be simple to close if people would put a little thought into closing it properly).

http://www.bayteccontainers.com/gamma-seal-lids.html

If you are creative (I'm not) you could do many things with a bucket but one thing you CANNOT do is to bury it, either fully or partially.

Two or more posts said look at what you've found. That doesn't help much since you've only got 1 find. Either keep strategizing while finding more caches, or study cache pictures on the Net.

Find more. Find lots more. You'll get a much better idea about how to place a cache that lasts.

The more you cache, the more you'll find containers that work or don't work, logsheets that stay dry or turn to slop, ziplock bags that work or fall apart, camouflage patterns that are effective, etc.

In addition, if you're really antsy to place a cache ASAP, follow the leads the others have posted so far. There are threads and web searches that can help you out.

Pick a cache location that is 1) worth a visit from others, 2) a safe spot not likely to be found unintentionally (muggled), and 3) you can get to within a reasonable amount of time for your required maintenance visits.

Pick a cache container that 1) is very water resistant (ammo cans, lock-n-locks, waterproof match containers), 2) will blend in where you have decided to hide the cache (ammo can in the woods, micro cache not in the woods...),3) will stand up against the weather abuse for your area (plastics that don't fare so well in cold climates, etc)

Get very good coordinates. Use the "Average" function on your GPS unit. Hunt your cache with the coordinates you obtain by walking 300-500 feet away and "hunting" it yourself. Don't publish bad coordinates!

Good luck!

Check out the cool cache container link provided, it will give you some good ideas. Also, I agree with the find more caches, learn what you like and dont like, then place caches to be found like the ones you enjoyed finding the most.

Like you I had wanted to hide caches and thought of a couple different ones to do from the day I started. About 100 finds or so later, I finally placed my first one, and am working on 2 more containers to hid as soon as I finish making them.

Also, to get an idea of what doesn't work, check out http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=244760

Guys, thanks for all the advice. Any ideas for another large cache? I could use some help.

Well, don't put a 5-gallon bucket in the ground up to its lid--buried caches are not allowed according to the guidelines.

However, I've seen them used in some fun ways. One was on a pulley into a tree, and the rope was camoflaged with the bark. That made for a fun search until the lightbulb moment.

But, just know that those bucket lids are hard to get off, and they might break in cold weather.

I love the 55 gallon drum idea, but I can't find any good lids. Could you send me a link if you find one?

There really aren't lids for a 55 gallon drum. I made this for a fellow cacher. It has screw om caps. He ran a aircraft cable through a cap and attached it to a bison tube. We then filled it with over 220 pounds of sand(my special painted caches tend to go missing) and called it the city's largest micro.

Be creative. Put hinges on it and lay it on its side, and paint it like a treasure chest or something...

But the thing is you only have one find. You already got a premium membership, and have been encouraged multiple times to go find more caches. Why don't you do that? Owning a cache, you have to be responsible-it does affect others. You have to keep up on maintenance. If you you don't like geocaching-and you can't say you do, because by your log, you've only spent a half hour-and you will give up on it, then don't put out a cache. Go find more caches-there's lots(probably more than a thousand, and I didn't zoom out very far) around where you found that one.

3549ee6c-3bc0-421e-9ba7-473e80f0bf08.jpg?rnd=0.635793

there is one in my area which is a small plastic garbage can with the metal fasteners to keep it closed. The log book is in another piece of tupperware inside of it. It is hidden in a forest are just off a common trail disguised by paint,a group of trees and a few extra branches.

Now go look for more in your area to see what others are doing and what is and is not working around you