Most finds in a day by solo cacher?

geocat_

I was wondering who has accumulated the greatest number of finds in a day SOLO caching? No team finds, no leapfrogging, no throwing containers out the car window toward the side of the road....just one guy or girl out alone. Granted, it will probably still be on a power trail. I know I found 295 in about 11 hours one day. Was mostly a power trail but also included a few Virtuals and Earthcaches and 1 traditional ammo box in the woods to end my day and keep me from gouging my eyes out with another micro container!

How about 90+ on foot almost 13 miles n the desert. Now that is my idea of a power trail. Take lots of water.

Signal in the desert

Well apparently I still don't have he picture thing right. I made it public in a public folder fo anyone who had the url but I guess Google Drive doesn't work that wya. Anyway here is the map view of the area.

Signal the frog outside Ridgecrest.

Edited by Walts Hunting

When I was keeping track of numbers back in 2006-2007, I could usually find around 120 in a day in an area that had caches hidden and no power trails. It was a day trip for me: three hours there, three hours back. Now that power trails and caches that aren't actually hidden (caches on street signs aren't hidden) are in the mix, I can't say what my current personal solo best is. I don't do power caching in my home area because I don't want to cache it out and it's an inefficient use of my time. When I'm on trips that involve an airline, I am always with others. I established this personal rule because I learned from experience in late 2007 that geocaching will tire me out if all I'm doing for a week straight is finding caches alone with no one to talk to. It started out as fun, but it got boring after the third day. I remember being at a guard rail next to a bridge along a dark road in the country at around 11PM. I had no idea where I was going to stay the night, when I was going to stop, where I'd be the next day, and I was the farthest away I had ever been. I remember thinking I wasn't having fun anymore. But I kept on going because I didn't have anything else to do and I'd regret it later. So, now, I always have people with me.

Also before power trails, I found in the mid-160s by accident with someone. We came into a town after midnight, found about eight, slept for the night, got up whenever we wanted (late), and just kept finding caches. We didn't have a plan and weren't in a hurry. The route we followed was something I made ad-hoc as we were caching; I had a mental picture and would plan several caches ahead (which is what I still do to this day). By sunset, I saw we had found 100, which hadn't happened to me before the sun set. We decided to continue our leisurely caching until midnight just to see how many we would find. For the time, this was more than anyone in my home area could have even dreamed. I swore the guy I was with to secrecy about our achievement because there were some abusive cachers in my area (still are, and even moreso these days). However, he soon hid two caches with our achievement number in the title. Close to three months later, the guy in the abusive clique texted me: "167" was all it said. Apparently, he took three other guys to the same area, planned a route, and it still took them longer than it took me when I didn't have a plan and didn't intend to accomplish anything (in fact, we had just arrived in that area a day before an event, so were just wasting time by caching around). That's just one of the early examples of why I refuse to share my stats or celebrate my achievements.

But, anyway, I considered around 120 caches to be a good solo number in 2007.

638 in about 8-9 hours out on ET trail

That's probably the type of answer the OP was looking for. Does anyone want to beat that? Personally, I'd say about 22, while the wife and daughter were at a cheerleading competition 100 miles from home for about 7 hours. Dropped 'em off, and did some caching. :o And defintely pre-power trail, around 2007 or so. :)

Edited by Mr.Yuck

That's probably the type of answer the OP was looking for. Does anyone want to beat that?

Appreciate all the stories and info. Yeah, my original thought came while doing a power trail in norther Indiana. I haven't done many so it made me wonder about those crazy stories of cachers getting well over 1000 finds in a day, sometimes close to 2000. Mathematically we all know that would be impossible for an individual to do. Goofiness like leapfrogging and sharing finds among several vehicles allows this (but that's just my opinion about it being goofy).

That's probably the type of answer the OP was looking for. Does anyone want to beat that?

Appreciate all the stories and info. Yeah, my original thought came while doing a power trail in norther Indiana. I haven't done many so it made me wonder about those crazy stories of cachers getting well over 1000 finds in a day, sometimes close to 2000. Mathematically we all know that would be impossible for an individual to do. Goofiness like leapfrogging and sharing finds among several vehicles allows this (but that's just my opinion about it being goofy).

People have achieved some incredible numbers without doing things like leapfrogging and sharing finds among vehicles. All you need is a driver and one or two people to jump out and nab the cache (and the ability to endure incredible monotony) and you can rack up 4 digit counts.

Of course if you are by yourself and doing all the driving it could slow things down some, but I can see a solo cacher breaking 1,000

I just found 39 all by bicycle, which was a personal best for me. Calculating how many I could do on a bike in 24 hours... 1/10th of a mile apart would take about 30 seconds travel by bike, 30 seconds to find, log, replace. So I figure 60 would be the absolute most I could do in an hour not including food and water on a power trail. Could I do it for 24 hours? No way. But I do think 500 in 24 hours is possible for me if I could keep mental focus and energy. I doubt if I ever will get out to try it, but I can see why some people would find it fun.

I found 100 in one day on an Ohio Rails to Trails last January when the temperatures got into the 60's one Saturday. I road my bicycle over 30 miles that day. When I got back to my car, I literally thought I was going to die... ;) Glad to say that I did it, but I will probably NEVER do that again....maybe..... :ph34r:

I found 100 in one day on an Ohio Rails to Trails last January when the temperatures got into the 60's one Saturday. I road my bicycle over 30 miles that day. When I got back to my car, I literally thought I was going to die... ;) Glad to say that I did it, but I will probably NEVER do that again....maybe..... :ph34r:

Ashtabula, perhaps? I was just there in late August solo on a bike. But I threw in the towel after about 15, because I was there early morning, and totally unprepared for the amount of mosquitos that I encountered. In other words, I was in shorts, and brought no bug spray. :lol:

Are we talking the same trail? And did you stop at exactly 100, or was that a ballpark figure?

Ashtabula, perhaps? I was just there in late August solo on a bike. But I threw in the towel after about 15, because I was there early morning, and totally unprepared for the amount of mosquitos that I encountered. In other words, I was in shorts, and brought no bug spray. :lol:

Are we talking the same trail? And did you stop at exactly 100, or was that a ballpark figure?

It was the Richland County B&O Bike Trail GC3N61Q - a beautiful trail. It was exactly 100, but I didn't plan it that way. Because I was alone on bicycle, I went as far as I could until I couldn't see anymore. When I finally stopped, it was about 5:45 PM or so, getting dark, out of food, getting cold, plus I had to ride my bike all the way back to my car. :o After I getting home late that night is when I discovered that I found 100 that day. I was literally logging the finds on my iPhone while riding my bike to the next cache. Almost every cache was a small bison tube hanging from a tree. :( I'm proud to say that I opened and signed each and every log (that wasn't totally soaked from the January snow).

It was the Richland County B&O Bike Trail GC3N61Q - a beautiful trail. It was exactly 100, but I didn't plan it that way. Because I was alone on bicycle, I went as far as I could until I couldn't see anymore. When I finally stopped, it was about 5:45 PM or so, getting dark, out of food, getting cold, plus I had to ride my bike all the way back to my car. :o After I getting home late that night is when I discovered that I found 100 that day. I was literally logging the finds on my iPhone while riding my bike to the next cache. Almost every cache was a small bison tube hanging from a tree. :( I'm proud to say that I opened and signed each and every log (that wasn't totally soaked from the January snow).

Oh, I've seen that on the maps. Sounds like a nice trail, and through one of the hilliest sections of Ohio. I don't think I'd do it though, I don't like to run up my micro numbers like that. I don't see the need for a 100% mirco rural rails to trails power trail. Bisons vs. Pill bottles or film canisters is impressive though. :P

I stayed overnight in Mansfield in 2009, I believe, when the race track was still open. There were very few caches there back then though. I see the map has grown quite a bit.