GPS, GLONASS, Galileo, Compass

Beagle4Fun

Hi there,

I'm looking for a handheld that uses more than just GPS. So I found out that the new etrex series also uses the russian glonass system. I'd like to know if there are other handhelds that use other systems than GPS. Maybe all of them?

Thanks for your help.

Beagle4Fun

I am not sure what you are looking for. There are a number of units that use GLONASS to add more satellites to the unit's capability. The iphone 4s and above -- as well as many other smartphones -- the Garmin GLO, Oregon 600. and Monterra come to mind. There are probably other manufacturers as well. Magellan uses GLONASS with some of its high-end survey units, but I have not looked to see if it is implemented in handhelds for caching. Many other units will use WAAS (Wide Area Augmentation System) in addition to the standard GPS satellites. Galileo is currently being built, but I am sure that will be supported by various units as well.

Edited by geodarts

Hi there,

I'm looking for a handheld that uses more than just GPS. So I found out that the new etrex series also uses the russian glonass system. I'd like to know if there are other handhelds that use other systems than GPS. Maybe all of them?

Thanks for your help.

Beagle4Fun

I am not sure what you are looking for. There are a number of units that use GLONASS to add more satellites to the unit's capability. The iphone 4s and above -- as well as many other smartphones -- the Garmin GLO, Oregon 600. and Monterra come to mind. There are probably other manufacturers as well. Magellan uses GLONASS with some of its high-end survey units, but I have not looked to see if it is implemented in handhelds for caching. Many other units will use WAAS (Wide Area Augmentation System) in addition to the standard GPS satellites. Galileo is currently being built, but I am sure that will be supported by various units as well.

I'm looking for a real handheld, no phone. I'd like to use it for geocaching, hiking and survival tours.

Is anyone in the know what the military is using?

Edited by Beagle4Fun

More than likely, they are using something that most cannot afford... or even purchase.

For training at least, I have word they (U.S. forces) now have a LOT of Delorme units in stock. I do not know if they (those particular units themselves) can be purchased without a government purchase order.

Rumor was that Delorme stopped building the PN-60, but they haven't. They were working overtime to fill a contract and put the consumer-grade PN-60 on hold until that contract was filled.

I am not sure at all about available mapping outside of North America for the Delorme units.

With that said, I believe that you are over-thinking GPSr use. Absolute pin-point accuracy is unnecessary, especially within the realm of geocaching, hiking or survival.

Putting a cruise missile through a window from 400+ miles away needs that accuracy... hiking or the like doesn't.

No need to put a cruise missile through a window ... just close will do :laughing:

No other handhelds outthere using Glonass, Compas or Galileo?

Oregon 600/650 and the Monterra also support Glonass.

GLONASS support has only been available for a couple of years in the Garmin handhelds.

It appears the other consumer handheld manufacturers have not added it yet.

Galileo is still under construction so I doubt there will be support until enough birds are launched.

I would assume the same for Compass.

I'm looking for a real handheld, no phone. I'd like to use it for geocaching, hiking and survival tours.

The military uses the same hardware that is available to everyone commercially. Most upper end commercial models are as durable as a military GPSr and look much nicer. The thing that makes military GPSr more precise is an encrypted signal called the P(Y)-code which is also known as the Precision code. Even if you were to get your hands on a GPSr that was made for the military you'd need to have the current encryption key to benefit from the increased Precision from the P(Y)-code signal.

To the contrary, and especially for our purposes, PPS is not much more precise than what is currently available to civilian/commercial users. Assuming that they don't flip the S/A (Selective Availability) switch and render us all lost within 100meters !!! (which is the way it used to be, and why geocaching would have never made any sense prior to unleashing the accuracy to civilian use back in May 2000), the numbers follow these approximations pretty well -- though even civilian units can do better on a good day -- the point being to demonstrate the relative accuracy of the two systems:

• C/A-code receivers ~ 5 -10 m (civilian)

• P/Y-code receivers ~ 2 -9 m (military - requires the key you mentioned)

If you toss in differential (DGPS), you can improve on this a good bit, especially if you have lots of time to wait around averaging readings:

• C/A-code DGPS receivers ~ 0.7 -3.0 m (civilian)

• P/Y-code DGPS receivers ~ 0.5 -2.0 m (military)

Edited by ecanderson