Map is not working

puczmeloun

Strange, perhaps it depends on the time you use the map? At the evening, now, (German time) I have 0 Seattle problems. Saturday morning I had the problems 20 times consecutively. Same computer, Firefox. Or Raine fixed it already? Raine, what about integrating the Waymarks to the Geocaching map. :grin:

Strange, perhaps it depends on the time you use the map? At the evening, now, (German time) I have 0 Seattle problems. Saturday morning I had the problems 20 times consecutively. Same computer, Firefox. Or Raine fixed it already? Raine, what about integrating the Waymarks to the Geocaching map. :grin:

Don't worry :D That bug is still there... Last days during creation process is like 75% Seattle, now review and still no change...

I don't know whether this relates to the current Seatle discussion, but for sure I have a problem with the map. I was logging my caches yesterday and pressed the F5 button to refresh my map. I now have a blank screen with only the leftide search screen open. There is nothing more to get. Rest of the site is working fine. If I log out than I do get the map back again. It seems therefore that it is a combination between my login and the site settings.

Working on Google Chrome, but IE has similar behavior.

Any suggestions or solutions ?

I don't know whether this relates to the current Seatle discussion, but for sure I have a problem with the map. I was logging my caches yesterday and pressed the F5 button to refresh my map. I now have a blank screen with only the leftide search screen open. There is nothing more to get. Rest of the site is working fine. If I log out than I do get the map back again. It seems therefore that it is a combination between my login and the site settings.

Working on Google Chrome, but IE has similar behavior.

Any suggestions or solutions ?

Are you saying the map is all blank or the rest of page? I have noticed that I have had the map end up being so zoomed in that it looks like it is blank but if I zoom out it is correctly located.

A positive to this Seattle map thing is that I now know precisely where Seattle is & can recommend its website http://www.seattle.gov/visiting/

A negative is that the Seattle Map over-rides some searches eg. I searched Hastings, New Zealand, North Island, 100km & got no records. The Seattle map was there & above it was a little reddish flag with Hastings below it. It had searched for Hastings in or around Seattle. Another search for Hastings put it in the northern Pacific Ocean. There are waymarks in Hastings but to find them search for Napier. Oh well.

I just clicked on 'Show Map' so now don't have to put up with the Seattle map. I had been asked to update one of my waymarks to include the street name & fortunately could recall its name. If not I would have had to search separately the name of the town rather than just looking at the map.

When is this infernal map problem going to be fixed?!?!?!?

I use both Google Chrome and IE through version 11 and it shows Seattle 100% of the time. Any more I cannot even get it to work by reloading, even in Chrome. The map on the Waymarking page is absolutely worthless.

I tried Firefox one time and it seemed to show OK, so apparently the Groundspeak developers ONLY use Firefox. But it takes so long for Firefox to start up or do anything on this PC that I find myself using Google Earth with one of the faster browsers and pasting the coordinates into Google Earth.

I really doubt that I'll renew my premium membership at this rate. It's not worth it. Groundspeak isn't giving me enough for my hard-earned money.

Come on Groundspeak!!! This has been going on for months!!! Have they even acknowledged there is an issue or don't they read forums? It doesn't work in different ways on IE or FireFox. Fix it already!

Yes, they have acknowledged the problem. In this very thread, in fact:here

But no, it hasn't been fixed.

Come on Groundspeak!!! This has been going on for months!!! Have they even acknowledged there is an issue or don't they read forums? It doesn't work in different ways on IE or FireFox. Fix it already!

Yes, they have acknowledged the problem. In this very thread, in fact:here

But no, it hasn't been fixed.

Thanks, Team Sieni!! I actually met Raine at the 2013 LV geocoin show and he seems like a really smart guy. I enjoyed the talk and I have one of his Raine Joker Tags traveling around so I'll cut him some slack. :)

My degree is in computer programing but I have not spent a lot of time in doing this type of programming. I'll be happy to test things but I find it helpful to send print screens etc to an email address so having that would help.

I did some quick tests and here is how I can recreate it. Using IE 10.0.9200.16798

I usually try to find waymarks based on cache locations because the geocaching.com site has the larger map. I pick a geocache in the area I want to waymark. Example:

http://coord.info/GCX1DH

Then

FIND

...all nearby waymarks on Waymarking.com

takes me to:

http://www.Waymarking.com/wm/search.aspx?f=1&lat=33.480017&lon=-111.932967&t=6

which has the Seattle map and a title of:

"Search Criteria: All Waymarks Within 100 mile(s) of N 33° 28.801 W 111° 55.978"

if I click on the first entry 'Sphinx Ranch Gourmet Gift Market - Natural/Organic Food Stores' on Waymarking.com, the map is still of Seattle

if I click on the category: 'Natural/Organic Food Stores', the map is still Seattle.

It seems like once this happens, the map of Seattle stays.

if I close all my instances of IE and paste in a URL such as: http://www.Waymarking.com/wm/search.aspx?f=1&lat=33.43267&lon=-111.50156&t=6,'>http://www.Waymarking.com/wm/search.aspx?f=1&lat=33.43267&lon=-111.50156&t=6, I have a 50/50 chance of getting a normal map.

I sort of think this issue might be happening only when I go to Waymarking.com from within geocaching.com. Here is what I tried:

Closed all IE windows, restarted IE and from IE (outside of geocaching.com), went to: http://www.Waymarking.com/wm/search.aspx?f=1&lat=33.43267&lon=-111.50156&t=6

and correct map showed up.

In same IE session, I opened a new geocaching.com tab and found a waymark as described above from a geocache page and the Seattle map showed up.

Hope this helps.

Edited by ILuvAZ

At this point I only get Seattle regardless of any of the three browsers that I use: IE, Chrome and Firefox. Firefox has it less often, but the browser keeps "blowing up" and trying to restart tabs every time you do just about anything. (No wonder I rarely use Firefox.)

I cannot believe that Groundspeak cannot reproduce this problem. It is 100% all the time. Just go to any waymark.

I've had to give up on the Waymarking map and use either Garmin's BaseCamp or Google Earth to do all of my map checking, whether for any new waymarks of mine or when reviewing others.

It just plain stinks. I still think that Groundspeak is deliberately trying to kill this hobby because we got to a half a million Waymarks. If I sound ticked, it's because I am. NO SUPPORT from Groundspeak. NO premium membership when it expires this year. They're attitude is to "screw 'em" waymarkers, so I say "screw 'em" Groundspeak. I don't see any change in their attitude toward us. It's been how many weeks now?!?!?

I cannot believe that Groundspeak cannot reproduce this problem. It is 100% all the time. Just go to any waymark.

Actually it is far from 100% of the time. I see the Seattle map occasionally but seldom do I see it when reviewing waymarks or entering waymarks. I see the Seattle flash up quickly replaced with the correct map. I often get a map that is zoomed in way too far so it looks like it is blank but is actually zoomed in such that no roads are visible.

OK, that is so on your system.

But the point is, even if it is "far from 100%" it is definitely even farther from 0% !!!!!

I'll play it conservative and say that it happens 51% of the time, even though it is 100% on the 2 systems I use (one XP and one Windows 7).

Why in blazes would someone say that they "cannot reproduce the problem" when it happens 51% of the time?!?

Or even 40%?!?

Let's not hide the fact that we're NOT getting support behind a couple of numbers.

We are not getting support.

Period.

I just reviewed 30+ waymarks this morning and Seattle came up 0%. I have entered 20 waymarks in last few days and again 0%. Not saying it does not exist and can not explain why I don't have the same problems. (I am using Win7 with Chrome). I do know that the problem has not been fixed or been really looked at in a few weeks.

I'm rarely seeing the Seattle problem anymore. I saw it once yesterday, but otherwise haven't seen it at all for a couple of weeks. Even before that, it was only the occasional occurrence. This problem seems to be very intermittent and dependent on some unknown software configuration (ie. browser + OS + ??), so I'm not surprised Groundspeak has had a hard time reproducing it.

FWIW, I'm running Firefox 27.0.1 on Vista.

Unscientific report: Of the last ... say ... 15 WMKs I've reviewed I've seen the Seattle map 100% of the time on first view, and the proper map has appeared when I click refresh 100% of the time. There may have been one or two where this didn't happen, but I don't remember it.

Harrumph.

My experience is opposite that of BruceS. IE9 on Win7. Have ONLY seen the Seattle map when creating, viewing, reviewing, searching, and checking waymarks. This reply is because I am now correcting some errors on my recently approved waymarks due to typos which would have been obvious with the correct map view. So neither I nor the reviewer must have the map working. Based on the latest posts, I've tried refreshing, coming in on previously used links, reviewer links from e-mails, my submissions.... nothing is working.

It seems to go beyond the fact that the map never shows correctly on some systems. I just got a decline for a Waymark because Waymarking.com did NOT tell me that a waymark for the same category was already submitted within, what is it?, .1 miles or 1/4 mile or something. My coordinates were within one thousands of a minute of both of the coordinates on the existing waymark.

Yes, I did not use the "Find all waymarks" feature first -- that would be extremely tedious if I had to do that every time I posted a waymark. I was relying on the fact that Waymarking.com has always let me know that my "new" posting was really a visit. But not any more.

The site just gets less and less useful day by day.

It seems to go beyond the fact that the map never shows correctly on some systems. I just got a decline for a Waymark because Waymarking.com did NOT tell me that a waymark for the same category was already submitted within, what is it?, .1 miles or 1/4 mile or something. My coordinates were within one thousands of a minute of both of the coordinates on the existing waymark.

Yes, I did not use the "Find all waymarks" feature first -- that would be extremely tedious if I had to do that every time I posted a waymark. I was relying on the fact that Waymarking.com has always let me know that my "new" posting was really a visit. But not any more.

The site just gets less and less useful day by day.

Were these coordinates you originally entered or did you change them after the initial save? The reason I ask is that the site only checks on the initial save and does not after a change, thus say you entered the waymark without entering coordinates (save with N0 0.000 W0 0.000) and then put in the correct coordinates the corrected coordinates are not checked.

Still the same: Always get the Seattle map first time. Always get the proper map on refresh. I'm convinced that it's not browser specific as I get it on my Android tablet, my little Win 8 netbook and my clunky old laptop. All exactly the same.

If GS can't reproduce it - and many of us can, very reliably, why not contact one of us as a guinea pig? Arrange a time, one of us will use a test GS server if that is possible and the developer can tweak the timing parameters, or try to do the map resizing in-line rather than spinning it off in another thread, or other tweaks.

By "tweak" I mean, for example, the map object is first created n the function initMap centred on Seattle, and then in the function mapItems it gets re-centred on the waymark location. Why not create it centred on the Waymark in the first place?

I've turned this glitch into a little game. I try to see how many times I can make the Seattle map show up while I: create waymarks, edit waymarks, click on My Unfinished waymarks, look at Newest waymarks, click on My waymarks, and any other time I'm on the site.

Every time it shows up, I yell "Ha! I did it!"

I've turned this glitch into a little game. I try to see how many times I can make the Seattle map show up while I: create waymarks, edit waymarks, click on My Unfinished waymarks, look at Newest waymarks, click on My waymarks, and any other time I'm on the site.

You'd be hoarse by now if you used either of the systems that I use. This is my personal PC with XP and it gives me Seattle 100% of the time in IE and Chrome. I think it actually gives me the correct map in Firefox, but FF keeps "bombing" and having to reload pages -- very unusable.

On my work PC, which is Windows 7, I get the Seattle map 100% of the time on both IE and Chrome. I haven't tried Firefox on that PC because I don't like its instability.

I have found that if I refresh the page perhaps 3 or 4 or 5 times I can get the correct map, but at a lousy zoom level.

Now, here's why I still say we are not getting support: Do you see this same problem on the Geocaching site? Where there are two maps on each geocache page? Of course you don't.

So cut the BS, Groundspeak, and make the maps work on Waymarking as they do on Geocaching. It's as simple as that. I have been a professional software developer for 34 years now, and yes it is as simple as that.

If they are blaming the problem on a Google Map API change, then why does geocaching work? It's all total vomit. They can keep the geocaching map working with no issue, but cannot make the waymark map work also? Give me a break!

You'd be hoarse by now if you used either of the systems that I use. This is my personal PC with XP and it gives me Seattle 100% of the time in IE and Chrome. I think it actually gives me the correct map in Firefox, but FF keeps "bombing" and having to reload pages -- very unusable.

On my work PC, which is Windows 7, I get the Seattle map 100% of the time on both IE and Chrome. I haven't tried Firefox on that PC because I don't like its instability.

I have found that if I refresh the page perhaps 3 or 4 or 5 times I can get the correct map, but at a lousy zoom level.

Now, here's why I still say we are not getting support: Do you see this same problem on the Geocaching site? Where there are two maps on each geocache page? Of course you don't.

So cut the BS, Groundspeak, and make the maps work on Waymarking as they do on Geocaching. It's as simple as that. I have been a professional software developer for 34 years now, and yes it is as simple as that.

If they are blaming the problem on a Google Map API change, then why does geocaching work? It's all total vomit. They can keep the geocaching map working with no issue, but cannot make the waymark map work also? Give me a break!

"Not to sound like a BROKEN RECORD"... I sent a message to Groundspeak asking why the player to player messaging on Geocaching was SO MUCH BETTER than that we have here on Waymarking... Wanna see the response I got?

Thank you for contacting us and for your interest in Waymarking. In order to support the rapid community growth of Geocaching.com in the past couple of years, it has been necessary to shift previously dedicated resources from Waymarking to Geocaching. Unfortunately, at this time we are only able to provide limited technical support. Please try posting your question in the Waymarking forums. These forums are monitored and can usually provide you with the best support.

Sorry that we can't be of more help at this time.

So, you don't like seeing Seattle? I'm getting to love the city. I'm thinking about moving there just so I will have an accurate map.

Seriously folks. Unless EVERY one refuses to renew our memberships, I don't think Groundspeak is going to listen. AND EVEN THEN, I DOUBT THAT THEY WOULD CARE.

Geocaching is a "cash cow" - compare the number of Geocaches to Waymarks. (NUMBER NOT QUALITY)

2,344,169 Geocaches

538,036 Waymarks.

Where do YOU think they going to spend their money?

Did I use the "beating a dead horse" expression in this message, yet?

There is a phrase that all the locals use around here - IT IS WHAT IT IS.

On a similar note, I did reject a waymark recently because of the Seattle Issue. There were two exact same markers on opposite ends of the street. Since I didn't pay attention to the EXACT coordinates, I took it as a duplicate. Egg On My Face.

Yep, it is working.

Sorry my posts got so bitter. But when I pay for a premium membership and have an issue like this for over 4 months, I am bound to complain.

jhouni, you cannot guarantee by this that the squeeky wheel always gets the grease; but it did this time. Only took 1/3rd of a year, too!

Thanks Groundspeak. :smile:

Edited by MountainWoods

This was a very difficult bug to find. :) Only after connecting to a computer on the other side of the world with slow internet was I able to reproduce the issue every single time.

Most pages load a Javascript file from Google for initializing the map in the top right. This script contains a reference to a separate function on the page that is used to center the map on the waymark's location. Under certain conditions, the Google script was executing far too fast and trying to call the centering-function before it could be created by the page. Before the fix the map would simply stay centered on Seattle. Now, if the function returns too fast and the function doesn't exist it waits a few hundred milliseconds before trying again.

Edited by Radnor

Yep, it is working.

Sorry my posts got so bitter. But when I pay for a premium membership and have an issue like this for over 4 months, I am bound to complain.

jhouni, you cannot guarantee by this that the squeeky wheel always gets the grease; but it did this time. Only took 1/3rd of a year, too!

Thanks Groundspeak. :smile:

Things don't always happen as they appear there are often things working behind the scenes that get things fixed.

This was a very difficult bug to find. :) Only after connecting to a computer on the other side of the world with slow internet was I able to reproduce the issue every single time.

Most pages load a Javascript file from Google for initializing the map in the top right. This script contains a reference to a separate function on the page that is used to center the map on the waymark's location. Under certain conditions, the Google script was executing far too fast and trying to call the centering-function before it could be created by the page. Before the fix the map would simply stay centered on Seattle. Now, if the function returns too fast and the function doesn't exist it waits a few hundred milliseconds before trying again.

Thanks Radnor for your help!

Thanks for the explanation!

So the problem would have been dependent on the speed of each member's computer and internet connection? No wonder it was so hard to identify! Good job on figuring it out!

I understand. Completely different development organizations. Been there, done that.

BTW, I just tried it. The first time I went to the Preview mode on a waymark that I'm entering, the map was centered at N00.0000, W00.0000. I had to do a refresh to get it centered where the waymark is.

You probably need to wait more milliseconds to get this to work consistently.

I am on a 1.5 Mbps DSL line running Windows XP. I am currently using IE when I saw the 0,0 centered map.

Well, now it is centering in the middle of the ocean at 0°,0° instead of Seattle. Guess it needs more of a pause.

WaymarkingMap.jpg

Well, now it is centering in the middle of the ocean at 0°,0° instead of Seattle. Guess it needs more of a pause.

WaymarkingMap.jpg

I wanted to post here same info. Now no more Seattle but middle of Pacific near Howland and Baker island... :(

1) sometimes (1:20-30), i still see above mentioned islands, but it's much better than with Seattle bug

2) GSW is back - thanks :)

3) Icons still not click-able

Groundspeak is aware that the icons are still not clickable. It was not included in the recent fix. It is on their list,