Map is not working

puczmeloun

I don't know how for you, but that small map in the right corner of Waymarking website is not working for me in this moment (Firefox, IE) and there's just grey square. Cleaning of cookies+cache and restarting PC is not working.

+

"I normally use Firefox and Chrome on Windows, on both the new map works (it's redesigned). I checked IE and there it is indeed just gray. fi67"

So something is wrong...

I just checked with chrome, firefox and ie and it seems to be working on all three for me.

Moving to Waymarking Features and Functions.

It seems to be working at my browser too (Chrome) - I see it displayed properly.

However when I try to search from centre of the map (using button), I'll end up with 'famous' 500 - Server Error message.

This Error is showing up unpredictivelly time to time and I failed to detect when / where / why ...

However when I try to search from centre of the map (using button), I'll end up with 'famous' 500 - Server Error message.

This Error is showing up unpredictivelly time to time and I failed to detect when / where / why ...

I am getting same 500 Error. This seems to be a new issue as I know this was working earlier this week. I have sent this to Groundspeak and have referenced this thread.

I am getting same 500 Error. This seems to be a new issue as I know this was working earlier this week. I have sent this to Groundspeak and have referenced this thread.

IF I'm only typing in a location to search, the map comes up fine. I get a 500 Server Error if I try to pan around from there. It started doing that for me last night and still doing it this morning.

Thanks for the reports everyone. We're taking a look now.

Google has deprecated their V2 maps as of yesterday. We are still using V2 on the Waymarking site, and so this obviously is causing some issues for us. We were under the impression that V2 was still going to work when they made this switchover, because they supposedly were going to wrap the functionality up underneath the covers, but clearly this is not exactly the case. A few additional features on our website are now breaking as a result, because google no longer is supporting them. Anyway, to make a long story short, we are in the process of upgrading our maps to V3 and will hopefully have a fix in a day or two. Sorry for the inconvenience.

bootron

Looking forward for new GMaps :) Thanks for your reaction...

EDIT: Ha, sorry, it's fixed. Thank you so much :) And with street view, nice surprise...

Yeah, street view is cooool on this website :anibad:

But searching from the map center is still resulting in 500 Error :blink:

(cookies, cache cleared, Chrome/FF)

Looking forward for new GMaps :) Thanks for your reaction...

EDIT: Ha, sorry, it's fixed. Thank you so much :) And with street view, nice surprise...

Yeah, street view is cooool on this website :anibad:

But searching from the map center is still resulting in 500 Error :blink:

(cookies, cache cleared, Chrome/FF)

The map still comes up fine if you type in a location to search, but if you pan the map or zoom in and attempt a search from that location, you still get a 500 error. Makes it really difficult to search nearby waymarks.

I still get the 500 error both on Firefox and IE.

AND

on Firefox only, I don't get any photographs, neither the small ones at the main waymark page nor when looking at the gallery. A bit awkward when one is an officer and has to judge new waymark submissions. This does work on IE.

This has been the situation for a few weeks now.

I have cleaned the cache and restarted, reloaded, reinstalled all to no avail.

+ It happened today couple of times, that map showed me Seatle instead of cache location.

Glad I am not alone on this. I am in contact with developer on this issue. I have found if I do a refresh on page it does display correctly. However lists is as "All waymarks within miles of none" where it used to give latitude and longitude instead none.

Thanks Bruce. I figured this wasn't just me, and I figured it was 'cause they were playing with the map, no doubt to fix some of the other issues (and breaking it in the process).

I've been a software developer for 33 years and an architect for 21 of those years. Apparently they don't have a test site to try all of the machinations on, so they test in production. It saves in server costs, but causes frustration amoung the user community. My guess is that Groundspeak still thinks that Waymarking is done by so few of people that they don't need to bother with a test environment. <_<

Apparently they don't have a test site to try all of the machinations on, so they test in production. It saves in server costs, but causes frustration amoung the user community. My guess is that Groundspeak still thinks that Waymarking is done by so few of people that they don't need to bother with a test environment. <_<

They do have a staging environment which is used for testing. Either this problem was not noticed or did not happen for them there. I know initially they were having a difficulty reproducing the problem but I have chatted with developer and problem is understood.

So I noticed another problem

1) No streetview

2) Seattle (sometimes even refreshing of page doesn't work)

+

3) Icons of waymarks are not "clickable" in new map...

Please, if GS doesn't want to bring us back virtuals and webcams and it is pointing to the Waymarking website, so why they don't work on that :(

Unfortunately, if it ain't soggy paper in a tupperware container, it ain't worthy of spending any time on. I guess. We're the mutants that want something different from folks who don't really want to provide it, and seem to wish they'd never have started this thing. So we muddle on with lots of things broken.

Last night I just finished getting my last waymark put in and their image server stopped entirely. Every image in Waymarking (maybe even in geocaching, but I didn't check it) was just the little red x. Tried several browsers. Cleared caches. You name it. Everything else was fine. Just no images. I just hoped and prayed they'd be back today.

[i just noticed too that the map is not working, it is set on Seattle area, using IE, tried it on several computers

quote name=puczmeloun' timestamp='1384937130' post='5322659]

I don't know how for you, but that small map in the right corner of Waymarking website is not working for me in this moment (Firefox, IE) and there's just grey square. Cleaning of cookies+cache and restarting PC is not working.

+

"I normally use Firefox and Chrome on Windows, on both the new map works (it's redesigned). I checked IE and there it is indeed just gray. fi67"

So something is wrong...

When I submitted several waymarks yesterday, I could NOT get the map to show correctly after multiple refreshes, until after I had submitted the waymark. Regardless of which "tab" I was on during the editing process, doing a refresh did nothing but show the Seattle map. To make sure I had typed in coordinates correctly, I copied them (from the Preview and Submit tab) and pasted them into Google Earth.

Perhaps Groundspeak only wants us to submit Waymarks for Seattle.... :shocked:

I find that I typically get Seattle, but if I hit refresh, I get the map. (IE11 on W8)

Here's something else odd. If I zoom out, the little marker gets further and further East of the actual location. Take a random WM (one that you know). Zoom out, then zoom out some more. The little marker corresponds to locations on the map further and further East. Eventually it will indicate another state, or another country, or it will be in the sea. Has it always been like this?

Here's something else odd. If I zoom out, the little marker gets further and further East of the actual location. Take a random WM (one that you know). Zoom out, then zoom out some more. The little marker corresponds to locations on the map further and further East. Eventually it will indicate another state, or another country, or it will be in the sea. Has it always been like this?

No I don't think it was before the Google map change. I think the invisible middle bottom of the icon is actually at the coordinates rather than the right bottom visible pointer of the icon. When you zoom out the pointer moves east but the middle of the icon appears to be directly north of location. The distance north appears to be about the distance of the little pointer shows on map.

No I don't think it was before the Google map change. I think the invisible middle bottom of the icon is actually at the coordinates rather than the right bottom visible pointer of the icon. When you zoom out the pointer moves east but the middle of the icon appears to be directly north of location. The distance north appears to be about the distance of the little pointer shows on map.

You're quite right Bruce. I knew there was a sane explanation there. So all that needs doing is either placing the icon a few pixels to the left, or using a different icon that has the pointer in the middle, not on the right hand side.

It happened exactly at time you corrected "searching from centre" bug. But at same time not just "Seattle issue" appeared, but street view disappeared and icons in that map are no more clickable. So it looks as something bigger...

And when is Seattle showing and when normal map? I have no idea, but when Seattle appears, I have to go to map, move with it little bit (inside map window) and refresh whole page. If I just refresh, Seattle is still there...

When does it happen? All I have to do is bring up ANY waymark and the map shows it in Seattle. I'm using Internet Explorer 8 on Windows XP. I just tried it on Firefox by copying/pasting the URL and it displayed the correct map. But I prefer to use IE as my default browser because it comes up so much faster.

What combination of OS and browser do the Groundspeak developers use? This is such a universal issue that I'm surprised that it wouldn't be glaring at yuns when you go to any waymark, test or otherwise.

Hi Raine,

I have no problem. The map is working fine for me. I'm using firefox and Windows 7. At the moment I'm just reviewing Waymarks so I don't know if it would be happening through the creation process of a new Waymark.

Cheers,

-lumbricus

Creation is the only activity where I have never experienced the Seattle bug yet. Everywhere else, on any browser, but this might be coincidence.

It happened exactly at time you corrected "searching from centre" bug. But at same time not just "Seattle issue" appeared, but street view disappeared and icons in that map are no more clickable. So it looks as something bigger...

And when is Seattle showing and when normal map? I have no idea, but when Seattle appears, I have to go to map, move with it little bit (inside map window) and refresh whole page. If I just refresh, Seattle is still there...

Non-clickable icons are driving me crazy!

Hey Groundspeak.

I'm so sorry, but this starting to be really crazy. I seriously don't understand, why you using your IT "powers" for making I "love" Geocaching thing for who nobody called and at website of officially declared successor of virtual caches* nobody can do anything with map, which is seriously one of the most important things for coordinate based game. I don't even speak about classical W-E problem (couple of years?) any many more mentioned bugs in other topics. I were really happy when you changed the map to the new version, where was possible to use street-view, really usefull for review process. But something happened and now street-view is gone, icons are not clickable and map is in Seattle? I don't know and I don't understand such policy...

And you are so surprised, that there's not so much waymarkers as geocachers? Oh wait...

This really is not so sustainable status...

Thanks,

puczmeloun

*If you'll look, it is used and repeared in every topic calling for return of virtual and webcam caches as official argument.

I've updated the map to correctly place the map icon.

I'm having difficulty reproducing the "Seattle" issue though.

Can someone tell me reproducible steps?

-Raine

For me here are the steps:

Go to www.Waymarking.com Click a waymark, any waymark, from the most recent list.

The map is of Seattle.

Click refresh. The map shows the WM location.

I just tried and it always happens with IE 11.0.9600.16476 but does not with Chrome 32.0.1700.102 I'm running Win 8.1 pro.

On my Android 4.4.2 tablet using Chrome 32.0.1700.99 It happened the first time I tried, but not subsequently.

Make of that what you will.

If you can't reproduce it, maybe it's because of your location - are you perhaps inside the Groundspeak firewall or something like that? (I know nothing about networking, so please don't pick me up on wrong terminology :anibad: )

Maybe clear all cached stuff from your browser then pop outside to a coffee shop (I believe you have a few in Seattle) and connect via wifi there, and see what happens then. If you can't make it happen, go up to some random person drinking coffee and browsing the web and shout HEY, LOOK OVER THERE! then grab their tablet/laptop and try it on there.

My guess is that it's something to do with timing. Which is why it can be so unpredictable.

A refresh on a newly loaded page pretty much always works. A refresh on a page that has been loaded but not used for a while doesn't -0 and can revert the map from a good one back to seattle

Do you have any delays in there - that wait for the api to load or something. If so, try increasing them.

Excuse my rambling. Feel free to ignoire me

Edited by Team Sieni

IE9 - Have not had the correct map yet. Viewed several waymarks - created two. Flag has the correct location for the coordinates, but the map is for Seattle (which I'll not see until December). Have restarted computer with same results. Checked the forums to find this thread, so adding my observations.

Please fix the maps. At least acknowledge that you realize they are broke.

Raine, the Groundspeak developer who works on maps, has acknowledged there is a problem in this thread, he is having a problem reproducing the problem. If he can't reproduce the problem then it makes it very difficult to fix the problem. When I was working with him, I could not reproduce the problem either, the maps worked every time. Since then I have had issues with them but appear to be random as I can not define reproducible steps that will replicate the problem. (except for non-clickable icons)