Is this acceptable?

Guest scooterj

Guest scooterj

ng regularly for years and it's so nice to now have an entirely new reason to head out to them.

I'm also making preparations for hiding my first cache. I have found what I think is a really clever and unique place that a lot of people would enjoy, and after approaching the landowners about it I was excited at how well the idea was received and I have secured permission to hide my cache on this land.

However, there is a catch. This particular place is in a private garden that has an admission fee. It's not a very steep fee, but it's a fee nonetheless. Since I have seen no other caches in a place like this, I want to ask all of you... Does it violate the spirit of the game to hide a cache in a private garden that has an access fee? Or is this acceptable so long as I make that fact clear up front in my description of the cache and state exactly what the fees are so that no one is caught unprepared?

I really do think the place that I found is a really cool and fun place to hide a cache, but I would never dream of asking the landowners, who have already done more than I expected by granting permission, to give preperential treatment by waiving their fee to geocachers.

So, what do all of you think?

[This message has been edited by scooterj (edited 05 August 2001).]

I (okay WE) have been reading posts for different users that are cache hunting and end up in a state park (Western states) and have to pay $5 to hunt for the cache. They've stated that it would have been better if they'd have known about the entrance fee, but most were happy to pay to use the park. As long as its stated that an entrance fee is required and how much, I (WE) don't think it would be a problem.

Just to make sure people visit your cache may I suggest that you stock it full of $50 bills, that way we wuoldn't mind spending a few bucks to find it. icon_wink.gif You could also place admission tickets in other caches with the coordinates to your cache on it.

I (okay WE) have been reading posts for different users that are cache hunting and end up in a state park (Western states) and have to pay $5 to hunt for the cache. They've stated that it would have been better if they'd have known about the entrance fee, but most were happy to pay to use the park. As long as its stated that an entrance fee is required and how much, I (WE) don't think it would be a problem.

Just to make sure people visit your cache may I suggest that you stock it full of $50 bills, that way we wuoldn't mind spending a few bucks to find it. icon_wink.gif You could also place admission tickets in other caches with the coordinates to your cache on it.

Guest Paul Lamble

I think it is fine to hide your cache in a private garden that has an admission fee. (I think I'm a member of that garden anyway.)

But you should not merely mention the fee. You should tell the reader ALL that they will get for the fee along with the chance to find a cache. What is the garden like? How much time could one devote to a visit there regardless of the cache? Is there a restaurant or gift shop included? A gardening library?

Imagine if I have 5 caches I want to find and this is one of them. I'm willing to pay the fee, but then I get to this garden and see I want to stay for a few hours afterall. I may have to give up some of those 5 after being pleasantly surprised by the garden. That's great, but it would be even better if I knew that in advance probably.

Also, since I must pay the fee, maybe you ought to force me to visit more of the garden to somehow accumulate the REAL coordinates of the cache.

Just an idea.

PL

Guest scooterj

Nope, it's not THAT garden, but I am pretty sure I know the one you mean. I thought about that place too and had geocaching been around 6 years ago it might have been a possible place for me to hide one or more because one of the owners was a friend of my boss at that time. I wonder if I still have his contact info? icon_smile.gif

You two have given me some ideas as to how to handle this, so I think I can make it work well and be fun. It'll be a few more days before I place the cache though so I'll keep checking to see if anyone else posts their suggestions here right up to the day I plant the cache. Thanks!

Guest scooterj

Nope, it's not THAT garden, but I am pretty sure I know the one you mean. I thought about that place too and had geocaching been around 6 years ago it might have been a possible place for me to hide one or more because one of the owners was a friend of my boss at that time. I wonder if I still have his contact info? icon_smile.gif

You two have given me some ideas as to how to handle this, so I think I can make it work well and be fun. It'll be a few more days before I place the cache though so I'll keep checking to see if anyone else posts their suggestions here right up to the day I plant the cache. Thanks!

Guest Paul Lamble

Always happy to learn of new gardens in the KC are to visit.

Another fine place for geocaching, I imagine, would be Smithville Lake. You have to pay a fee there, but once you do, you have access to the entire park, and the place is big enuf that there could be a half dozen or more caches stashed around there. Some enterprising geocacher in the Northland could make a big hit, assuming the Man allows the hiding of the stashes.

Paul Lamble

Guest scooterj

It's not exactly the type of garden that I know you are thinking it is, but I don't want to spoil the surprise. icon_smile.gif

Monkey Mountain was the very first place to pop into my head when I heard about geocaching, but someone else has already planted there. I love that park. The huge open field at the summit is a great place for flying kites.

Guest scooterj

It's not exactly the type of garden that I know you are thinking it is, but I don't want to spoil the surprise. icon_smile.gif

Monkey Mountain was the very first place to pop into my head when I heard about geocaching, but someone else has already planted there. I love that park. The huge open field at the summit is a great place for flying kites.

Guest rynokc

If someone is interested in Caching at Smithville Lake, I have a contact there. We are the dive team for Clay CO. Parks and they run the lake. I would be happy to talk to the Director about just telling the gate people that they are caching. Let me know. I will check it out. Ryan

Guest Steve McGinnis

One of the the ones I had the most fun with, was GCDC3, you might check out the way they did that one, and get some ideas of how to force people to walk through the garden to collect the information required to obtain the final co-ordinates.

------------------

smcginnis@terraworld.net

home 20:

N 37 50.532

W094 42.371

Guest trilobites

I placed a cache in a private park near St. James Missouri last spring. The park is more than worth the $3 fee per car to get in and nobody seems to mind the fee. Go for it! In fact, its likely that the cache will survive to a grand old age since the fee tend to keep out the cowboys!