Garmin Monterra Custom Waypoint Symbols Not Working

SandCreek

I just received a Garmin Monterra 650. It has the latest firmware and software. I copied my 6 custom.bmp symbols from my Montana to the Garmin\CustomSymbols folder but they will not display on the Monterra. One oddity is that I get a warning about "Your device may not be able to play or view this file" from Windows 8.1 when I try to copy. However when I click Yes-Proceed it does copy. If I copy it back from the Monterra to a folder on the computer the file will open and shows the custom symbol in an image editor... I was told months ago by Garmin that the Monterra would support custom waypoint symbols. A call to Garmin Tech Support only resulted in them saying it should work and they will get back to me after a higher level tech looks into the issue.

Anyone have any idea what the problem is? or has anyone got custom waypoint symbols to work on the Monterra.

I just received a Garmin Monterra 650. It has the latest firmware and software. I copied my 6 custom.bmp symbols from my Montana to the Garmin\CustomSymbols folder but they will not display on the Monterra. One oddity is that I get a warning about "Your device may not be able to play or view this file" from Windows 8.1 when I try to copy. However when I click Yes-Proceed it does copy. If I copy it back from the Monterra to a folder on the computer the file will open and shows the custom symbol in an image editor... I was told months ago by Garmin that the Monterra would support custom waypoint symbols. A call to Garmin Tech Support only resulted in them saying it should work and they will get back to me after a higher level tech looks into the issue.

Anyone have any idea what the problem is? or has anyone got custom waypoint symbols to work on the Monterra.

Don't believe the Monterra has a numerical model number. Probably habit form your Montana. :)

Follow up.

(1) Yes there is no model number for Monterra - I was confused and 650 was for the Montana.

(2) Two big issues: There are No labels for waypoints on the map. As far as I am concerned this is like having a map with a symbol for a town but no name. Can't live with that. In addition being able to create and use custom waypoint symbols is essential in my use of the GPS.

(3) Spoke to Garmin tech support and they confirmed both these issues. They created a case and if I don't here back in a few weeks that they are going to resolve these issues I am returning the Monterra. As it stands right now it is only useful as a paperweight. On the positive side I like a lot of the new features, but unless the above issues are corrected, the Monterra will not work for me.

(4) When I hear back from them I'll post the response here...

Edited by SandCreek

Assuming the flag for the waypoint is all there is on the map? Strange that they should forget that as EVERY Garmin unit I've had shows the labels (I just use the default #s).

The Waypoint Label issue was reported to Dev some time ago but there hasn't been an update for almost a month. I would expect an update shortly given Garmin's history of Release and then Update.

I tried to load poifiles with poiloader togheter with my own symbol for each type of poi but Monterra doesn't support it.

Garmin told me to use their new program Base Camp instead of Poiloader.

in Base Camp you can have different types of Icons for each type of poi.

but there is a problem....and a big one!

Garmin can't garantee that you can load more than 4000 pois with base camp. ( i can load 18000 Before it crashes)

The amount of data that 4000 pois is and the fact that it is the official maximum makes think back when i grew up and every kid had an commodore 64..........i belive that Garmin develope their program in a 25 year old computer... It really sucks!!!