Hoard of trackables returned to Groundspeak HQ

Ma & Pa

I saw this log on a TB that had previously disappeared. Does anyone have the story behind this?

Found this at Geocaching Headquarters! A geocacher from the Seattle area held onto this for a long time. He has been returning his hoard of trackables (in the thousands) to Groundspeak by the box-loads of late. I am helping out a little by recording the reemergence of these, and either leaving them at HQ for other visitors to move, or distributing them in caches in our region, or to other geocachers, so they can travel as they were meant to.

I saw this log on a TB that had previously disappeared. Does anyone have the story behind this?

Found this at Geocaching Headquarters! A geocacher from the Seattle area held onto this for a long time. He has been returning his hoard of trackables (in the thousands) to Groundspeak by the box-loads of late. I am helping out a little by recording the reemergence of these, and either leaving them at HQ for other visitors to move, or distributing them in caches in our region, or to other geocachers, so they can travel as they were meant to.

Yes, mine was one of them. It has been well known for several years that a particular cacher was hoarding travel bugs. The story I heard was that the cacher might have some OCD traits and couldn't part with a bug without taking the "perfect photo". Other cachers from the area and folks from Groundspeak have been working for several years to get the hoarded bugs back in to circulation. Looks like there has been a breakthrough. Yeah! Thanks to all who have played a part in getting these bugs back out there.

Yes, mine was one of them. It has been well known for several years that a particular cacher was hoarding travel bugs. The story I heard was that the cacher might have some OCD traits and couldn't part with a bug without taking the "perfect photo". Other cachers from the area and folks from Groundspeak have been working for several years to get the hoarded bugs back in to circulation. Looks like there has been a breakthrough. Yeah! Thanks to all who have played a part in getting these bugs back out there.

Thanks for information. I checked the other thread about this and it lead me to the name of the cacher involved and it turns out he has found and/or discovered over 19000. I have no idea how many he was hoarding.

who know how many more are out there like this once cacher... maybe one day all TBs will be back in circulation

A few I'd bet, but probably no where on that scale.

Years ago near me an acquaintance (also a cacher) had to go to one of his homes (as landlord) as part of a moving out inspection.

Turned out that the cache creep swiping caches and trackables in our area was one of his tenants, still living with Mommy.

- In the basement were shelves lined with caches and trackables, like it was some kinda trophy room.

Interestingly, while the original log for mine read as above, it has been edited to the more politically correct version below:

Found this at Geocaching Headquarters! Here in Seattle, in addition to having HQ, we have some remarkably prolific folks when it comes to discovering and moving trackables. Looks like this one was picked up awhile ago in that hunt, but not logged right away, so I'm glad to see it resurfaced! Kudos to the gentleman who finally returned it to HQ. I'm trying to help out a little by recording the reemergence of this one and others like it, by leaving it at HQ for other visitors to move, dropping it in a cache, or handing it off to another geocacher. Let's see where it ends up next!

Hey, if that keeps the feelings from getting hurt and the bugs coming back, more power to those involved :anicute: