ISS geocache spam

Intrepid Dyad

Well may I be the first to use this forum to congratulate AstroRM on being the first to log a find on this very special cache, and for taking a TB into space.

Good luck with your floating friendship for the next six months and thanks for giving us something to smile about.

Happy caching!

:)

He's going to keep the TB for six months???

It seems that when the International Space Station cache page was unlocked in order for the astronaut, Rick Mastracchio, to log a find on it, the cache page very quickly became a "forum" due to multiple logs from cachers around the world.

This thread is an attempt for discussion to take place off of the cache page. Since this is a geocaching related discussion, I'm moving this thread to Geocaching Topics.

I find it interesting that the log by OHL Hockey Guy was edited in early October, 2013. Because I'll tell you what, it was a find log from the day it was posted, until the day it was edited. :ph34r:

EDIT: Oops, I didn't even notice it was edited by a Lackey, and not him. Well, case closed on that one. :lol:

Edited by Mr.Yuck

So I was in a mtg at work and my phone went haywire. over 40 notifications for the ISS Geocache!! I feel sorry for those who want it to be archived.. did we not just have an event for this?? I understand that most people will never be able to physically log this find, but I have the ISS on my watch because I enjoy reading the logs of those lucky enough to do so! Those complaining about it need to wipe up their baby spit, accept that the ISS GC is there to stay, and go find a cache on Earth!! there are millions.. :anitongue::D:laughing:

~~Trail.Blazer79, Birdsboro, PA. US.

I find it interesting that the log by OHL Hockey Guy was edited in early October, 2013. Because I'll tell you what, it was a find log from the day it was posted, until the day it was edited. :ph34r:

EDIT: Oops, I didn't even notice it was edited by a Lackey, and not him. Well, case closed on that one. :lol:

I noticed that as well...

But it doesnt add up with this.

:ph34r:

So I was in a mtg at work and my phone went haywire. over 40 notifications for the ISS Geocache!! I feel sorry for those who want it to be archived.. did we not just have an event for this?? I understand that most people will never be able to physically log this find, but I have the ISS on my watch because I enjoy reading the logs of those lucky enough to do so! Those complaining about it need to wipe up their baby spit, accept that the ISS GC is there to stay, and go find a cache on Earth!! there are millions.. :anitongue::D:laughing:

~~Trail.Blazer79, Birdsboro, PA. US.

The way I see it, the ISS cache is nothing more than a novelty. Although there are some exceptions such as caches located on military bases that are only accessible to those in the military, for the most part a geocache can be found by anyone with a GPS enabled device. Yes, there are some that require special equipment but nothing compared to being a trained astronaut and being selected to ride on a rocket into space in order to log a legitimate find.

I don't see the recent geocaching in space event making the ISS cache any less of a novelty. I'm not calling for it's archival, but I'm not going to take it seriously either.

A place for those to argue about the ISS geocache and not spam everyone

And at 11:42 Intrepid Dyad wrote on the ISS cache page:

"Stop spamming everyone who is watching this cache now. You have a new place to do so. I'm deleting the thread in 12 hours from now. So save anything you wish to keep before then people post in the thread. Also I ask a reviewer to delete all logs posted today on this cache. They are all just spam".

So there's about half an hour to go then this whole thread will be history... You've been warned!

It seems that when the International Space Station cache page was unlocked in order for the astronaut, Rick Mastracchio, to log a find on it, the cache page very quickly became a "forum" due to multiple logs from cachers around the world.

This thread is an attempt for discussion to take place off of the cache page. Since this is a geocaching related discussion, I'm moving this thread to Geocaching Topics.

Maybe it has something to do with the fact that this is nothing more than another self aggrandizing stunt. The idea of a geocache in space is about as idiotic as the blog that highlights geocaches that violate geocaching guidelines. Perhaps some day Groundspeak will practice what they preach.

Maybe it has something to do with the fact that this is nothing more than another self aggrandizing stunt. The idea of a geocache in space is about as idiotic as the blog that highlights geocaches that violate geocaching guidelines. Perhaps some day Groundspeak will practice what they preach.

I've never understood how the guidelines can allow a geocache in space when the same guidelines require GPS use to be an integral part of finding a cache. GPS does not exist on other planets, so accurate coordinates can't be obtained with a GPS device. And although GPS will work within low earth orbit, any cache hidden there would be, well, orbiting, making it impossible to use a GPS device to guide you to the cache the way you would on Earth.

Finally, the ISS cache doesn't even have a logbook in it "out of respect for the Russian segment of the ISS" and since it would be a fire hazard. So what makes this locker a geocache instead of any other locker full of stuff?

Doesn't anybody get that this was allowed in the spirit of fun? So many people actually were so worked up about it that caches in space had to be added to the guidelines. It's amazing to me that there is a segment of people who are so angry about this. I simply don't understand how this affects anyone's enjoyment of the game.

Edited by briansnat

There is a specific listing guideline covering geocaches in space. A specific guideline controls over a general guideline, as a matter of construction. Fortunately "space" is not part of my review territory, so I only need to concentrate on consistent application of the listing guidelines applicable to caches that are not in space.

I've never understood how the guidelines can allow a geocache in space when the same guidelines require GPS use to be an integral part of finding a cache. GPS does not exist on other planets, so accurate coordinates can't be obtained with a GPS device. And although GPS will work within low earth orbit, any cache hidden there would be, well, orbiting, making it impossible to use a GPS device to guide you to the cache the way you would on Earth.

Finally, the ISS cache doesn't even have a logbook in it "out of respect for the Russian segment of the ISS" and since it would be a fire hazard. So what makes this locker a geocache instead of any other locker full of stuff?

OK-as for the logbook-well tons of caches have crappy, wet, full, and torn logbooks. At least with this cache you know to bring a replacement. And there is something in the locker, and I'm sure you can write on it. Show me the rule that a logbook has to be paper. What makes it a cache, as opposed to a locker? Same thing that makes my sandwich container, ammo can, or anything a cache.

GPS can exist on other planets, but doesn't yet. It wouldn't be hard-we've sent the rover to mars. Just expensive. It is possible to figure out the GPS co-ords of the ISS-for our purposes we would use the closest point on Earth. That is when the ISS is directly above you. But it would require tracking, and a changing set of co-ords. For one, of the 2million+caches it is not an efficient use of resources. Now if there happens to be an increase of similar caches, then it could be implemented.

As for the GPS being integral. Well have you ever found a night cache? You go to the co-ords, and use a flashlight to follow reflectors. Or in this case you go to the co-ords and take a spacecraft to GZ. Now considering the difficulty, this deserves to be a cache much more than a simple follow the reflectors.

Plus it's all in good spirit. If you don't get it, I think you should change your name to Mr Grinch.

e838b6e6c338063fb84e121cb453015dd3d8b5749efd82491bf7487c7c1a21d1.jpg

Doesn't anybody get that this was allowed in the spirit of fun? So many people actually were so worked up about it that caches in space had to be added to the guidelines. It's amazing to me that there is a segment of people who are so angry about this. I simply don't understand how this affects anyone's enjoyment of the game.

Didn't you know? Geocaching=SERIOUS BUSINESS. It's time you got with the program, fella and stop with all this "spirit of fun" malarky. :unsure:

I have no problem with the ISS cache either.

Thinking about why some do, I come up with a few ideas:

(1) This cache is inaccessible to 99.99999% of cachers. Unfair/sham/etc.

(2) The average Joe & Jane Cacher have to follow the rules. If we don't, consequences follow (archiving of caches that took many hours of work, get banned from the forum, etc.). When the Bigwigs find a rule getting in the way of a plan, there is an exception made.

Doesn't anybody get that this was allowed in the spirit of fun?

It does lead me to some head scratching... :unsure:

Personally, I think it's kinda kewl. Sort of like the one way deep in the ocean. Will I ever get to log a find on them? Probably not. But, in my opinion, the fact that they exist makes this hobby just a wee bit kewler. How anyone could get even marginally upset over it, much less outraged, boggles my poor gray matter.

Personally, I think it's kinda kewl. Sort of like the one way deep in the ocean. Will I ever get to log a find on them? Probably not. But, in my opinion, the fact that they exist makes this hobby just a wee bit kewler. How anyone could get even marginally upset over it, much less outraged, boggles my poor gray matter.

Lets see what we have here.

• No logbook to sign
  • No GPS usage
  • No actual container
  • Moving cache
  • Guidelines created just for this one
  • Does not accept logs from extraterrestrials unless they have earth based internet access
  • Raging hordes of angry zombies on earth wishing to have it archived

Yes this cache has it all. AND it is at risk of getting muggled by disgruntled Andromedans, Greys, Hairy Dwarfs, Little Green Men, Nordic Aliens, Reptilians, and Sirians, although the Vulcans will probably leave it alone.

Lets see what we have here.

• No logbook to sign
  • No GPS usage
  • No actual container
  • Moving cache
  • Guidelines created just for this one
  • Does not accept logs from extraterrestrials unless they have earth based internet access
  • Raging hordes of angry zombies on earth wishing to have it archived

Yes this cache has it all. AND it is at risk of getting muggled by disgruntled Andromedans, Greys, Hairy Dwarfs, Little Green Men, Nordic Aliens, Reptilians, and Sirians, although the Vulcans will probably leave it alone.

Don't forget reavers.

Don't forget reavers.
I ain't goin' anywhere near reaver territory. Them people ain't human.

I also forgot the Tall Whites. According to leaked documents from Edward Snowden, Iran is under the impression that the USA is under control of space aliens which look very much human, and are tall, white. Forbes link. Undoubtedly they must also believe that the USS was created by this class of beings which Richard Garriot may be part of. :D:ph34r: :ph34r:

Here is a picture of one known "Tall White" alien at a geocache 6d0910aa-51ef-49c7-81c5-7ed6883f2175.jpg Notice the dopey, confused gaze and unusual posture as he sucks energy from the nearby benchmark. Obviously he is not accustomed to this planet. :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

Edited by 4wheelin_fool
Don't forget reavers.
I ain't goin' anywhere near reaver territory. Them people ain't human.

I also forgot the Tall Whites. According to leaked documents from Edward Snowden, Iran is under the impression that the USA is under control of space aliens which look very much human, and are tall, white. Forbes link. Undoubtedly they must also believe that the USS was created by this class of beings which Richard Garriot may be part of. :D:ph34r: :ph34r:

Here is a picture of one known "Tall White" alien at a geocache 6d0910aa-51ef-49c7-81c5-7ed6883f2175.jpg Notice the dopey, confused gaze and unusual posture as he sucks energy from the nearby benchmark. Obviously he is not accustomed to this planet. :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

Yes. Very suspicious. Thanks for the expose'.