Russian GPS Using U.S. Soil Stirs Spy Fears

user13371

Source/link:

www.nytimes.com/2013/11/17/world/europe/a-russian-gps-using-us-soil-stirs-spy-fears.html

... In recent months, the Central Intelligence Agency and the Pentagon have been quietly waging a campaign to stop the State Department from allowing Roscosmos, the Russian space agency, to build about half a dozen of these structures, known as monitor stations, on United States soil, several American officials said.

They fear that these structures could help Russia spy on the United States and improve the precision of Russian weaponry, the officials said. These monitor stations, the Russians contend, would significantly improve the accuracy and reliability of Moscow’s version of the Global Positioning System, the American satellite network that steers guided missiles to their targets, and gps users to the nearest geocache ...

... No, it doesn't really say that, not exactly. Go read the rest of the article...

Source/link:

www.nytimes.com/2013/11/17/world/europe/a-russian-gps-using-us-soil-stirs-spy-fears.html

... In recent months, the Central Intelligence Agency and the Pentagon have been quietly waging a campaign to stop the State Department from allowing Roscosmos, the Russian space agency, to build about half a dozen of these structures, known as monitor stations, on United States soil, several American officials said.

They fear that these structures could help Russia spy on the United States and improve the precision of Russian weaponry, the officials said. These monitor stations, the Russians contend, would significantly improve the accuracy and reliability of Moscow’s version of the Global Positioning System, the American satellite network that steers guided missiles to their targets, and gps users to the nearest geocache ...

... No, it doesn't really say that, not exactly. Go read the rest of the article...

Typical response of the US government. "It's ok if we spy on you, but it's not if you spy on us."

NYTimes.com is not exclusively a pay site, though they do limit the number of stories non-paying visitors can read in a given time frame. I don't subscribe and I didn't have to pay to read that article.

But if you can't get there, here's one of dozens of other links to the same story ... http://articles.economictimes.indiatimes.com/2013-11-17/news/44162122_1_obama-administration-moscow-russians

Edited by user13371

NYTimes.com is not exclusively a pay site, though they do limit the number of stories non-paying visitors can read in a given time frame. I don't subscribe and I didn't have to pay to read that article.

But if you can't get there, here's one of dozens of other links to the same story ... http://articles.econ...moscow-russians

First time I'd tried to read a NYT article online in ages, and it still bounced me, but many thanks for the alternate site.

And a follow up from 12/29/2013 NY Times:

New Law All but Bars Russian GPS Sites in U.S.

WASHINGTON — Tucked into the mammoth defense budget bill that President Obama signed into law on Thursday is a measure that virtually bars Russia from building about a half-dozen monitor stations on American soil that critics fear Moscow could use to spy on the United States or worse. ... Under the new law, unless the secretary of defense and the director of national intelligence certify to Congress that the monitor stations would not be used to spy on the United States or improve the effectiveness of Russian weaponry — or unless they waive that requirement altogether on national security grounds — the plan is dead. ...

Full article at www.nytimes.com/2013/12/29/world/europe/new-law-all-but-bars-russian-gps-sites-in-us.html