New Category: Geocaching Event Sites (world-wide)

Hi everybody,

today, I was scrolling through the existing Waymarking categories and couldn't find a category for world-wide places (inside and outside) that are/were used for geocaching events! If such a category doesn't exist already (but couldn't be found by me), I would love to propose it as a new category!

The world-wide geocaching community is well known for being very creative and inspiring. Every day, there are geocaching events in countless countries. In most cases, event owner pick either a restaurant with a cozy atmosphere and reliable service or look for extraordinary spots in nature for outdoor events.

Waymarking these locations would not only show other geocachers quality tested places but would also function as a practical service to help future event owners to find appropriate locations for their own events.

What does the active Waymarking community think about all this, I wonder?

Regards, alsterdrache

Hi everybody,

today, I was scrolling through the existing Waymarking categories and couldn't find a category for world-wide places (inside and outside) that are/were used for geocaching events! If such a category doesn't exist already (but couldn't be found by me), I would love to propose it as a new category!

The world-wide geocaching community is well known for being very creative and inspiring. Every day, there are geocaching events in countless countries. In most cases, event owner pick either a restaurant with a cozy atmosphere and reliable service or look for extraordinary spots in nature for outdoor events.

Waymarking these locations would not only show other geocachers quality tested places but would also function as a practical service to help future event owners to find appropriate locations for their own events.

What does the active Waymarking community think about all this, I wonder?

Regards, alsterdrache

Hi there alsterdrache. Thank you for bringing the discussion to the forums, which is always helpful no matter what the responses.

Here's what comes to mind when I think of this category idea.

What interesting thing will I see when I visit this waymark?

Geocache locations or former locations even event geocache locations really are not to be listed on the Waymarking site. The Geocaching.com site lists those locations quite well. Most of the locations used for events can already be listed as Waymarks for what they actually are, restaurants, parks, etc. thus a category specifying them as former Geocaching event site just does not do much for me.

Edited by BruceS

Thanks for the replies so far. As I said, marking locations as former or current GC event locations could function as a directory for places that have already proven to work for events. So this could be a help for those who are looking for a place to stage a future event by looking at the map and finding spots with a waymark they might have not considered before to be suitable. Two more arguments: Some places like a shed on a clearing or so might not fit into other Waymarking categories but only in this one. Second, event locations are, of course, being listed on Geocaching.com but my point is that you can't do a reverse search since archived events are no longer shown on the map. That's why this counter argument doesn't work. ~ Any other statements?

Thanks for the replies so far. As I said, marking locations as former or current GC event locations could function as a directory for places that have already proven to work for events. So this could be a help for those who are looking for a place to stage a future event by looking at the map and finding spots with a waymark they might have not considered before to be suitable. Two more arguments: Some places like a shed on a clearing or so might not fit into other Waymarking categories but only in this one. Second, event locations are, of course, being listed on Geocaching.com but my point is that you can't do a reverse search since archived events are no longer shown on the map. That's why this counter argument doesn't work. ~ Any other statements?

I will repeat: "Geocache locations or former locations even event geocache locations really are not to be listed on the Waymarking site." I don't think the admins of this site will accept as a category archived cache locations including event caches. The fact that they can not be looked up on Geocaching.com is reason enough that the category does not go here, if they wanted them to be looked up they would expend the resources to do that but it was a conscience decision not to.

I had indicated that most locations could be listed in an existing category, this would probably include your shed example.

Edited by BruceS

So this could be a help for those who are looking for a place to stage a future event by looking at the map and finding spots with a waymark they might have not considered before to be suitable.

Hello, I might be wrong, but I would be very surprised, if this would be a way how people decide, where to organize an event. I hosted and co-hosted couple of them, but there are simplier and more practical ways how to find suitable place. Not even mentioning the fact that Event host often want to be original and bring something new to Community, including new place to show on the Event.

Anyhow, thank you for bringing this idea to forums, it is always good to figure out this way how is the idea perceived by others. Peer Review without prior discussion use to be cruel ...

Edited by Rikitan
I will repeat: "Geocache locations or former locations even event geocache locations really are not to be listed on the Waymarking site." I don't think the admins of this site will accept as a category archived cache locations including event caches. The fact that they can not be looked up on Geocaching.com is reason enough that the category does not go here, if they wanted them to be looked up they would expend the resources to do that but it was a conscience decision not to.

I have no strong feelings one way or the other as to the viability of "Geocaching Event Sites" as a Waymarking category. But I think it is fair to point out that the Geocaching.com site does, in fact, allow listings for archived events to be included in bookmark lists.

So I see no reason why a Waymarking category that included the same links allowed by the administrators of Geocaching.com in bookmark lists wouldn't be allowed on Waymarking.com.