Corrected coordinates

dw

I've never used corrected coordinates, I always used gsak to keep track of solved puzzles. But lately I'm mostly using my iphone to cache, so I tried using corrected coordinates today. The ideal thing would be to have the cache show up in the CORRECTED location on the map, both on my computer and on the iphone (and in a really ideal world, there would be some indication on the map that the coordinates had indeed been corrected - like a flag icon, so I could tell which ? caches were solved and which weren't - and the ability to FILTER those would be heaven!).

BUT the cache still shows up in its original uncorrected location! It looks like the only way to navigate to the corrected coordinates is to know which caches have been corrected, find that cache on your iphone (which can be difficult because even if you're at the cache, the uncorrected location may be some distance away - so it doesn't show up in a nearby search). Only when you have brought the cache page up on your iphone can you then navigate to the little yellow flag.

Is this functionality ever something that may happen? In searching the forums, I've noticed that many people would love to have it, but I haven't seen any discussion of corrected coordinates for many months. Am I using them correctly? Any hope of having the corrected coordinates show up on the search map?

Thanks! :)

I just checked and my corrected coordinate caches show up at the new location on the geocaching.com map and geosphere. It does not show correctly on the iPhone app initially but if you select navigate to and click the shortcut menu it shows as a waypoint.. If you have GSAK and a handheld gps you get all those features. Good discussion here http://gsak.net/board/index.php?act=ST&f=6&t=26074

If you are at home, and run a pocket query, any caches with corrected coordinates will show at the corrected location.

That is true but the problem is that there is no way to know they are corrected. You would have to carry a list of ones you have solved separately to confirm. The only way to have them marked in a special way is to use the API interface that some programs have access to and they can make changes to the output to your device (not iPhone) that show that it is corrected.

This whole thing is kind of new and extremely popular. I am sure the lackeys are working hard to fill it out.

Since several weeks there is a sporadic appearing feature, after adding corrected coordinates on the website listing of a cache, in the lower mapwindow:

solved-myst-coords.png

Or is it a feature of the installed Greasemonkey 'Geocaching Map enhancements' script?

Edited by Thoric67

If corrected coordinates could be displayed with a different icon (an exclamation mark instead of a question mark), that would be a good and simple to implement start.

Adding a pocket query filter of "Has Corrected Coordinates" would also help. Showing caches with corrected coordinates is one thing but is not that useful without being able it identified which caches have corrected coordinates.

Pardon my naivety, but is the "corrected coords option" just something available through aps and API partners (such as GSAK)? I use neither but think it would be great to use this option through the website, and since some of these forum topics are on the website category, I was thinking maybe I was missing out on this feature. However, despite reading various forums and trying different things on the website, I have not found any "corrected coords" option on the website. Sure I can post coordinates with a log, but for solved puzzles I obviously don't want to do that (they will be displayed on the log for others to see). And I can put the coordinates in the "Personal Cache Note", but that doesn't appear to be the same thing as what is being discussed here. Am I just missing something obvious, somewhere on the website where you can enter corrected coordinates for solved puzzles or is this only something for people with aps/API/GSAK interfaces?

Pardon my naivety, but is the "corrected coords option" just something available through aps and API partners (such as GSAK)? I use neither but think it would be great to use this option through the website, and since some of these forum topics are on the website category, I was thinking maybe I was missing out on this feature. However, despite reading various forums and trying different things on the website, I have not found any "corrected coords" option on the website. Sure I can post coordinates with a log, but for solved puzzles I obviously don't want to do that (they will be displayed on the log for others to see). And I can put the coordinates in the "Personal Cache Note", but that doesn't appear to be the same thing as what is being discussed here. Am I just missing something obvious, somewhere on the website where you can enter corrected coordinates for solved puzzles or is this only something for people with aps/API/GSAK interfaces?

For multi/mystery caches, you have a tiny pencil icon next to the original coordinates. Click it and you can enter your corrected coordinates. It will be reflected on the maps (but only on the cache page).

Edited by Mek7

For multi/mystery caches, you have a tiny pencil icon next to the original coordinates. Click it and you can enter your corrected coordinates. It will be reflected on the maps (but only on the cache page).

Thanks Mek7, I totally missed that and was apparently looking for "something else". I'll chalk it up as another "DNF"..another case of when having a preconceived notion of what you are looking for leads you astray. I hate when that happens.

I've used the corrected coordinates feature countless times for entering the final solutions to puzzle caches, but this morning it is missing.

I needed to enter the corrected coordinates for a cache for today's hike and was frustrated by it being AWOL. This was a monkey wrench for this morning's preparations.

When it was there, it was a pencil icon directly to the right of the coordinates.

I hope it makes a speedy recovery and returns.

So I had to go through the GSAK way and generate a new gpx file for today's hike to get ready for the puzzle. The hikers who have capable GPS's transmit the coordinates among ourselves wirelessly instead of manually entering the numbers. A really keen feature for getting everybody ready, especially if they missed a piece and didn't have it on file in the unit.

I've used the corrected coordinates feature countless times for entering the final solutions to puzzle caches, but this morning it is missing.

I needed to enter the corrected coordinates for a cache for today's hike and was frustrated by it being AWOL. This was a monkey wrench for this morning's preparations.

When it was there, it was a pencil icon directly to the right of the coordinates.

I hope it makes a speedy recovery and returns.

So I had to go through the GSAK way and generate a new gpx file for today's hike to get ready for the puzzle. The hikers who have capable GPS's transmit the coordinates among ourselves wirelessly instead of manually entering the numbers. A really keen feature for getting everybody ready, especially if they missed a piece and didn't have it on file in the unit.

I checked a couple of multicaches and Unknown caches, and the ability to edit the coordinates is there.

Perhaps posting the GC code for the cache you are discussing would help.

B.