Logbook vs Pen-drive

Rafael.pt

You really don't think I would put an unknown USB drive in my computer, do you? Besides I don't carry a computer when I cache.

Ding .. we have a winner.

Even if the original owner did not leave anything sinister, every person that plugs it into their computer might.

Edited by BlueRajah

I even have a template* for it!

A logbook needs to be signable by anyone without the need to use any electronic or special equipment. Please add a paper logbook or sheet that allows pen/pencil. Objects that utilize connectivity do not meet the guidelines as they represent a potential security risk.

*In almost 10 years of caching, I'd never found a flash-drive log and then I found two in one day!

You really don't think I would put an unknown USB drive in my computer, do you? Besides I don't carry a computer when I cache.

I carry many computers with me when I geocache. My GPS is a computer. My watch is a computer. My radio is a computer. My camera is a computer. My phone is a computer. Ohhh, wait you mean a laptop kind of computer. Yeah, me neither.

I'd be concerned about viruses. The CO or any finder could maliciously or accidentally infect my computer. I suppose I could use a Live CD or a virtual machine to reduce the chance of infection but I recently read something about a BIOS virus that isn't stopped by Live CDs or virtual machines.

We had such discussion about using USB flash disks or SD cards in containers recently. There were concerns about viruses and other things like when cache contents got wet the drive/card may suffer, etc. For instance, in many cases I can easily add a piece of paper if I see that the logbook is full, sign it and log the cache as found. What if my device just is not able to read the card/stick?

We've had some experience with this sort of media being left in geocaches, so I can give you an example. There was a very simple MMC/SD card in a container with a welcome message from the CO. Visitors should write their logs to this card. If they failed the CO allowed them to answer some question (virtual caches have never been banned at the Russian geocaching website). 6 of 17 visitors reported problems with the card or their devices. Others either answered the question (we don't know if they attempted with the card) or managed to write their data on the card. So, you may run into a bunch of problems with numerous distant technical complaints like "my device cannot see you media". On the other hand, you don't need to teach people how to use a pen and a paper logbook.

I've found a TB that was a flash drive. The goal was to gather photos of the locations it was visiting. It was in a nice baggie and protected. It was fairly new with limited photos on it.

And yes...I did plug it into my computer, scanned the drive for viruses,etc. Added my own photos. This was pretty neat for a TB......

Not a good idea for a cache as most folks have to carry the flash drive home.

Along the lines of being 'techy' - I've been to a cache that was a WIFI signal. You then visited a website while at GZ and signed the online log. That was neat.

Edited by Lieblweb

Along the lines of being 'techy' - I've been to a cache that was a WIFI signal. You then visited a website while at GZ and signed the online log. That was neat.

If the online log was an optional add-on besides the paper log in the cache container, that sounds fun. Likewise, there are many fun puzzle caches where the cache coordinates or other clues are discovered by connecting to a WiFi hotspot controlled by the cache owner.

But, if the "online log" and the WiFi signal was all there was to find, then this is not a geocache and the listing should be disabled until the owner fixes the design.

"I brought a friend along so he could see what geocaching was all about. He manage to spot it before I did; I think he's a natural. There was no log, so I left a weatherproof log sheet. My friend traded up for the USB thumb drive and then threw it in the trash back at the trailhead; he said he didn't want anyone spreading the viruses on it. I swapped a couple TBs and left my personal sig token; other than that, TNLN. TFTC!"

Can a Logbook be a pen-drive? No, per the listing guidelines, quote and URL of relevant section below:

The use of memory sticks and similar devices is not permitted.

http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx#thirdpartycontent

But, then there is this:

Geocache Contents

Geocache containers include a logsheet or logbook.

For all physical caches, there must be a logbook, scroll or other type of log for geocachers to record their visit.

That says that there must be a means to record their visit. Doesn't mean it has to be singable with a pen, pencil, etc.

If the 'special tool required' attribute is used and it is stated that a laptop is needed , then it should be publishable.

Unless I can sign my name on it with a pencil or pen, the answer is no.

I agree that memory sticks are not allowed according to the guidelines, but I cannot find anything about pen and pencil. Log sheets that are a piece of cloth or metal where not necessarily a pen or a pencil will work do not seem to be excluded.

I have encountered a cache where the log sheet was a giant flag, some caches where the log material was made out of stone or wood or other materials. There has been some debate in my area about a cache where the idea was to log with a UV-pen. I cannot find anything in the guidelines that forbid this.

Cezanne

Edited by cezanne

Can a Logbook be a pen-drive? No, per the listing guidelines, quote and URL of relevant section below:

The use of memory sticks and similar devices is not permitted.

http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx#thirdpartycontent

But, then there is this:

Geocache Contents

Geocache containers include a logsheet or logbook.

For all physical caches, there must be a logbook, scroll or other type of log for geocachers to record their visit.

That says that there must be a means to record their visit. Doesn't mean it has to be singable with a pen, pencil, etc.

If the 'special tool required' attribute is used and it is stated that a laptop is needed , then it should be publishable.

The idea of a flash drive in a cache is a bad one from the start. One word: water. 'Nuff said.

The idea of a flash drive in a cache is a bad one from the start. One word: water. 'Nuff said.

I'll throw out another word: Viruses. And/or Trojans. No way I would ever insert an unknown flash drive into any device I owned, even with the anti-malware software all my devices are running.

Besides, I've never taken any device that could read a flash drive with me when I've gone geocaching, and I don't intend to start now.

--Larry

According to its page the 'cache' on the space station (http://coord.info/GC1BE91) doesn't have a log book. So if a log book is a requirement it now breaks 2 rules/guidelines - it doesn't have a fixed gps location either.

First off, they are guideline not rules. That means that for unusual circumstances the guidelines may not apply. However, I think it is best practice to follow the guidelines whenever possible. Also, somewhere in the guidelines it essentially states that any cache that violates a guideline will not set a precedence for future guideline violations.

The cache should be listed as a multi or mystery depending on what is or isn't at the location listed. As long as Groundspeak insists to list this cache as traditional cache I think that they should give OHL Hockey Guy his find back and allow anyone else who goes to the listed coordinates to log it as found. My reviewer would never let me list a cache as a traditional cache if the container isn't at the location I gave... or will they? :ph34r:

I've never understood why there isn't a log book. If you can attach a travel bug to the locker then why can't a bison tube with a log sheet in it be placed at the same spot?

Make the cache a multi or mystery cache with log sheet in a bison tube on the space station and all the guideline "problems" with the cache will be solved.