One account, two computers, different local caches

Trekkin' and birdin'

We've had an odd situation that's no big deal, but I wonder if anyone else has this kind of thing happening. We have one geocaching account. The home coordinates would therefore be the same, whether I'm looking on my computer or my husband looks on his. Yet, our "outer limits" vary between each other. He has four at the fringes that don't show on mine, and I have two that won't show on his. Besides a "disturbance in the force," what could explain this?

We've had an odd situation that's no big deal, but I wonder if anyone else has this kind of thing happening. We have one geocaching account. The home coordinates would therefore be the same, whether I'm looking on my computer or my husband looks on his. Yet, our "outer limits" vary between each other. He has four at the fringes that don't show on mine, and I have two that won't show on his. Besides a "disturbance in the force," what could explain this?

Yes, the home co-ordinates would be the same. Only, I suspect, you have not set home co-ordinates manually. Had you done an address, or actual co-ordinates, it would be the same. I'll say you haven't done it manually though-I think you had chosen to do it based on your computer location. On the geocaching.com homepage you can search based off address, or co-ords, or underneath that box the link "Find My Location" This is what I bet you chose(Except you where setting home, not looking for a cache)

That is what allows you to Google pizza, and it will come up with a list of pizza places based on where you are. Go to a different city with the same PC, and you'll get different results. Or the stupid pop-up you get that say something like "Meet sexy singles in *wherever you happen to be*"

How this has to do with geocaching? Well if you use two different computers, you could get two different locations. Maybe each computer was using a different IP location when they where set up, or who knows. My home shows a city 45 minutes away, as opposed to the town I'm in, or the city literally 2 minutes away.

The fix? Use an address, or since you are geocachers, and likely have a GPS, use your actual home co-ords.

Edited by T.D.M.22

Thanks, it just gets curiouser and curiouser. I was pretty sure the coordinates had been hand entered when we signed up, but I took a look and maybe I used a zip code or something. So I hand entered our home coordinates. My husband and I show the same coordinates on both computers, obviously, but.....he has the exact same caches in his "nearest." I now have 12 more! Go figure. Like I said, no big deal because we don't get fussed about that, but it just seems odd and I wondered if we're the only account in the geocaching world that has this issue.