Web site slow

Johnny Rango

Anyone besides me noticing the website is lagging? It's like pulling teeth for the last few days just to get pages to refresh.

No - nothing different. The problem must be with your provider or computer. Restarted it lately? Kids using all bandwidth? Etc.

Wow, so because you are not having problems, it MUST his problem?

FWIW, I have been having a sporadic problem with geocaching.com not responding for over a week. White page with "waiting for geocaching.com..." in the status bar. It never responds or refreshes, but if I open the link in a new tab, it comes right up. There have also been people complaining in our local FB group about the same problem. No other problems on the Internet, just GC.com

Edited by Don_J

FWIW, I have been having a sporadic problem with geocaching.com not responding for over a week. White page with "waiting for geocaching.com..." in the status bar. It never responds or refreshes, but if I open the link in a new tab, it comes right up. There have also been people complaining in our local FB group about the same problem. No other problems on the Internet, just GC.com

I've been seeing this sporadically for the past couple of weeks, maybe longer. In case it makes any difference, this is with Firefox 25.

I'll click on a link on the geocaching site to visit another page. After clicking the link, the title bar will say "Connecting...". Sometimes the window goes all white, sometimes nothing changes in the window (the old window stays displayed). When this happens (which is maybe one out of every five links I click on the site), I've waited as long as two or three minutes to see if the Web site responds, and it never does.

At that point, I have to click on the "X" button in the address bar to get control of the browser window back. If I then try again and click on the same link, it always works fine this time.

One interesting aspect to this is that I've never seen a "Timed out" response from the browser when this happens. It's as if the Web server acknowledges the request, but then hangs up and just sits there not responding. The only good news is that a retry (stopping the transaction and clicking the link again) always seems to get things moving again.

I get the gut feeling that one of the servers in the Groundspeak server farm is exhibiting some intermittent flakiness in responding to page requests, but I have no real evidence for that.

I also have no idea whether this is related to the OP's issue, but I thought I should add a data point.

--Larry

Same issue here. Started last week.

Some pages are loaded very quick, others do not.

To solve the issue i have to open a new IE session or close/open IE.

A few minutes ago i had the issue on Server: WEB20; Build: Web.HotFix_20131029.1

Edited by DanPan
Hopefully you will now see improvement in site performance.

FYI, one minute ago i tried to open a cachepage and it took +- 2 minutes to load.

<!-- Server: WEB15; Build: Web.HotFix_20131114.1 -->

I did a refresh (which was quick) and noticed that the IE session was redirected to <!-- Server: WEB05; Build: Web.HotFix_20131114.1 -->

Edited by DanPan
Hopefully you will now see improvement in site performance.

FYI, one minute ago i tried to open a cachepage and it took +- 2 minutes to load.

<!-- Server: WEB15; Build: Web.HotFix_20131114.1 -->

I did a refresh (which was quick) and noticed that the IE session was redirected to <!-- Server: WEB05; Build: Web.HotFix_20131114.1 -->

Yeah, I've seen the same issue with connecting to Web pages a couple of times last night and this morning. They seem to be happening less often, but they're still happening.

--Larry

I had an IE session open with a list of my owned cached (WEB09)

After clicking a link to one of my caches i had to cancel the session after +- 10 minutes (waiting for http://www.geocaching.com/...)

Did a http://www.geocaching.com/whoami/ -> I am: WEB18

Did a refresh of this session -> OK -> WEB15

Opened a new session to GC forum -> extreem slow -> had to cancel the session

Did a refresh -> OK -> WEB16

Did a second refresh -> OK -> WEB19

It seems that the sessions are hopping from one web server to another and are not "sticky" anymore.

Edited by DanPan

I've been seeing this sporadically for the past couple of weeks, maybe longer. In case it makes any difference, this is with Firefox 25.

I'll click on a link on the geocaching site to visit another page. After clicking the link, the title bar will say "Connecting...". Sometimes the window goes all white, sometimes nothing changes in the window (the old window stays displayed). When this happens (which is maybe one out of every five links I click on the site), I've waited as long as two or three minutes to see if the Web site responds, and it never does.

At that point, I have to click on the "X" button in the address bar to get control of the browser window back. If I then try again and click on the same link, it always works fine this time.

One interesting aspect to this is that I've never seen a "Timed out" response from the browser when this happens. It's as if the Web server acknowledges the request, but then hangs up and just sits there not responding. The only good news is that a retry (stopping the transaction and clicking the link again) always seems to get things moving again.

I get the gut feeling that one of the servers in the Groundspeak server farm is exhibiting some intermittent flakiness in responding to page requests, but I have no real evidence for that.

I also have no idea whether this is related to the OP's issue, but I thought I should add a data point.

--Larry

I'm in Oz and have experienced the same and have used the same process to get the browser back and then clicking the link again, mostly with a result and sometimes not.

So, I am experiancing these lags, too.

I tried it aon various systems (IE9, Android 2.2, Android 4 with Google Browser or FF).

The web site seems to be very slow in transmitting data.

On Windows/IE the fellin gis that site buildup is slow.

On Android, the page is loading about 75% to 80% than pauses for about one minute before completing the download.

I can recognize that the is web traffic via WLAN during the pausing.

These things occur since the beginning of November 2013. Before November, the performance on Tablet and Smartphone was very good.

So, I tested my Internet Connection, video Streaming and loading other sites is fine and very quick.

Strange things happen...

I opened a new IE session to www.geocaching.com (WEB04) -> the page hangs after loading 60% of progress.

I opened a new session in the same IE windows to www.geocaching.com (WEB04) -> loading page was OK.

At the same time the first session resumes and loaded the remaining 40% very quick.

Session changed from WEB04 -> WEB01

Did a refresh of one of the sessions, session changed from WEB01 -> WEB12

I hope this info is helpful to troubleshoot and solve the issue.

Edited by DanPan

Today, tried to open the forum with the link on the geocaching.com homepage.

Loading started but hanged after a few sec of loading. (Whoami: WEB13)

I needed to close this session and tried again in a new IE session, this time the loading was successful. (Whoami: WEB13)

I'm still the only one who has a "loading" problem?

Edited by DanPan

Nobody else has "loading" problems?

Once in a while -- maybe twice last week -- I have to call for a page reload before I get it. I always thought it was restricted to loading actual cache descriptions, but once last week it happened when I was loading the map.

I go way back in the Internet game, so while I assume this is a modern problem, I can't help but notice that this looks exactly like what we'd see in the old days when some half-baked TCP implementations couldn't figure out how to recover from a lost packet.

I waited to see what might happen but this is what is still happening for me.

OS - Vista 64 Bit

Browser - Chrome 31.0.1650.57 m

Duplicateble - Yes

This also happens on a friends PC using the same browser. It does not happen with Firefox. Have not tried it with IE.

Issue:

From the quick view page the browser hangs. Will eventually load after several minutes (five plus) Everything loads but the following.

"Hello XXX"

"Stats Bar"

"Favorites"

"Premium Features"

"Account Options"

"Your GPS"

"User Routes"

"Field Notes"

"Geocache Google Earth Viewer"

"Your Inventory"

Side Bars Ads also do not load.

The "Quick View" shows a single list of everything you've logged in the past 30 days. In the past 30 days, you have logged over 3,000 caches and over 10,000 trackables. This is the cause of the slowdown you are seeing - such a long list is effectively bringing your browser to its knees.

Thanks, is there any way to limit the search to say the past 5 days or something more manageable?

The "Quick View" shows a single list of everything you've logged in the past 30 days. In the past 30 days, you have logged over 3,000 caches and over 10,000 trackables. This is the cause of the slowdown you are seeing - such a long list is effectively bringing your browser to its knees.

Thanks, is there any way to limit the search to say the past 5 days or something more manageable?

Unfortunately, no. The page is currently hard-coded to show the last 30 days. That may have to change to a paging system or something else if power trails continue to proliferate. :D

Unfortunately, no. The page is currently hard-coded to show the last 30 days. That may have to change to a paging system or something else if power trails continue to proliferate. :D

If you want to do something about power trails, instead of making the recent cache list less useful in case someone's done a power trail, I'd rather you invent a way to encapsulate a power trail so that it shows up as a single entry. It would seem very useful to have a power trail focus cache that shows up in lists and attracts the non-trivial logs while the lesser members of the trail are normally suppressed in lists unless someone's looking for them.