First cache

bigredmed

I am contemplating placing my first Geocache. I was thinking of trying to find a nice spot at the Elkhorn Landing. I am considering this for several reasons, 1. It is close to the historic fording area of the Mormon and Oregon Trails over the Elkhorn river, 2. It is a park that doesn't already have one, and 3. So far, the park doesn't seem too crowded with other things.

Considering this, I was thinking about making this a history/aquatic/outdoor themed cache and I was also thinking about making it a bug hotel.

Do you think that this location is a good one for a cache?

Any advice for the first timer?

Do you think Omaha is ready for a bug hotel?

Any new types of caches in the area would be good. I don't really know of the area that you are talking about but I would want to go and find it and see what you liked about this area. That is what this game is all about, isn't it?

As far as advice for placing your first cache, use a good container so you limit the amount of maintanance that needs to be done, and make sure the coordinates work and are accurate. Make the hint helpful when you are at the coords. No one likes a no find. icon_wink.gif

Last but not least HAVE FUN WITH THE GAME!!

Justin

Any new types of caches in the area would be good. I don't really know of the area that you are talking about but I would want to go and find it and see what you liked about this area. That is what this game is all about, isn't it?

As far as advice for placing your first cache, use a good container so you limit the amount of maintanance that needs to be done, and make sure the coordinates work and are accurate. Make the hint helpful when you are at the coords. No one likes a no find. icon_wink.gif

Last but not least HAVE FUN WITH THE GAME!!

Justin

Series 1 experiments with the Elkhorn Crossing site are completed. Sadly with a mixed bag of results.

1. The park has many potential cache stash sites. icon_smile.gif

2. Ammo cans float. icon_confused.gif

3. The watertight seal really is watertight icon_wink.gif

4. Despite the failure of my ammo can to sink into the river as desired, the potential for a cache in this locale is high given the places to hide it and the historic significance of the site.

icon_biggrin.gif

On to series 2 experiments. Then hopefully a good first start at a cache.

Series 1 experiments with the Elkhorn Crossing site are completed. Sadly with a mixed bag of results.

1. The park has many potential cache stash sites. icon_smile.gif

2. Ammo cans float. icon_confused.gif

3. The watertight seal really is watertight icon_wink.gif

4. Despite the failure of my ammo can to sink into the river as desired, the potential for a cache in this locale is high given the places to hide it and the historic significance of the site.

icon_biggrin.gif

On to series 2 experiments. Then hopefully a good first start at a cache.