which is the real "11-12-13"?

VgoSprocket

So which is the real "11-12-13"? If you go by the American way of writing the date, today is "11-12-13", but if you go by canada or most of the rest of the world, December 11, 2013 would be the "11-12-13". Wondering which one to try and get. I might try to get both to be safe, and I know that there won't be a souvenir either way, just curious for curiousity's sake.

Anyone know if someone is making up a coin to celebrate "11-12-13"? I'd love to add a new coin to my collection.

Cheers!

So which is the real "11-12-13"? If you go by the American way of writing the date, today is "11-12-13", but if you go by canada or most of the rest of the world, December 11, 2013 would be the "11-12-13". Wondering which one to try and get. I might try to get both to be safe, and I know that there won't be a souvenir either way, just curious for curiousity's sake.

Anyone know if someone is making up a coin to celebrate "11-12-13"? I'd love to add a new coin to my collection.

Cheers!

I think you've pretty much settled it in your post.

Celebrate whichever you use. I stick with 'Merica, because that's where I live.

As for a coin, I'd check in the Geocoin forum by conducting a search.

Edited by NeverSummer

It's one of those little annoyances for people outside the USA. When you see "11-12-13", you're never sure, because there's a lot of spillover from the US to other countries.

So you need to look at other dates from the same source (if there are any) to figure out the format. And occasionally you discover (eg in my photo viewer), there's even a third interpretation, Y-M-D. A royal mess. Can we all start using dates like "11 Dec 2013"?

We have computing power in abundance now, so I think "easier sorting" can stop being an issue. Besides, trying to force through a new format with the year at the front, with most everybody currently wired to look for the date at the end, isn't likely to fly.

Speaking of flying, ah, I see an airline email confirming my upcoming flight says "03DEC13". This from a US-based airline, it works. Bet they got tired years ago of people showing up on the wrong dates.

Since we are all headed for a military run world anyway, I vote for 2013-12-11 (11Dec13) myself. Since I spent 6 years time in service and that is how I saw the date written all the time, it's what we should use. Your overlords will demand it anyway, start now and make the transition easier.

If you want annoying, you should work where I do.

I've seen both formats (MM/DD/YYYY and DD/MM/YYYY) under the spaces we need to fill in, in different places on the same form! I usually go with DD/MM/YYYY.

And even worse, we'll get remands from the courts where different Judges fill a person's date of birth out each way! Sometimes it's easy to figure out if the numbers are high enough (there are only 12 months so a DOB of 23/11/xxxx is obvious, but one with 05/10/xxxx ... well, Ive learned to ask the person what their DOB is so I get it right for intake! :o

It's the Ontario Government .. what do you expect! :lol:

Edited by BC & MsKitty

When I fill out forms for domestic and foreign hands, I always write out the month, so people will know which format I'm using.

November 12, 2013. Happy Dolphinday!

I frequently correspond with people domestically and internationally (pretty much on a daily basis), often at the same time. Given that there may be some confusion from those abroad which date format I'm using, I always write out the month (or use the three character abbreviation) and write the day first (i.e 4 November, 2013). This morning I was in a bank signing a bunch of loan papers and wrote 11/12/13. Since it was a local bank there was no confusion that it might be DD/MM rather than MM/DD.

However, when using dates in the digital world, one can't just use 11/12/13 and assume that the system on the other end know that the first two digit represent the day or the month. That's why there's ISO 8601, an international standard for the representation of dates and times. The standard for representing a day of the month and a year is YYYY-MM-DD. In practice, if you get a date in ISO 8601 format, most programming languages support standard date formatting strings, which allow a date/time to be displayed or printed in a variety of formats (i.e December 03, 2014).

If you want annoying, you should work where I do.

I've seen both formats (MM/DD/YYYY and DD/MM/YYYY) under the spaces we need to fill in, in different places on the same form! I usually go with DD/MM/YYYY.

And even worse, we'll get remands from the courts where different Judges fill a person's date of birth out each way! Sometimes it's easy to figure out if the numbers are high enough (there are only 12 months so a DOB of 23/11/xxxx is obvious, but one with 05/10/xxxx ... well, Ive learned to ask the person what their DOB is so I get it right for intake! :o

It's the Ontario Government .. what do you expect! :lol:

The second I read the first two sentences, I KNEW you were a government employee! :lol:

I didn't pay any attention to the dates of all the 11-12-13 events in Ontario, until now. Some took place today, and some will take place in December.

:rolleyes:

B.

My understanding for Canada, is that the goverment switched officially to Y M D (S.I.) which is the ISO standard when they made the metric system official. It was publicized and has the norm since in my mind. Besides it's fun to cram it down peoples throats... er. forget that... use it to be different.

After several years of this, I notice more and more people are switching over. United Statesians might someday accept metric system even though they voted it in over 100 years ago!(1866) Just slow on the uptake. Each to their own, in good fun!

Doug 7rxc

Edited by 7rxc

I know that most of the world uses the metric system, and as far as I know, metric systems logs dates as day-month-year, going from smallest to biggest as it does with everything. Think mm, cm, m, km etc. So I think I'll stick with that.

Thanks for all the responses everyone!

A metric calendar. That's a novel idea. Would that mean that a week is 10 days long?

Cheers!

I think you've pretty much settled it in your post.

Celebrate whichever you use. I stick with 'Merica, because that's where I live.

As for a coin, I'd check in the Geocoin forum by conducting a search.

I think 12-13-14 (in this format) would be better cause it's the last time you can do it. No unless they add a 13th month.

added change

Edited by jellis

The real 11-12-13 has already passed on the thirteenth of December 2011!

Much like the intutive hours:minutes:seconds, degrees/minutes/seconds, even dollars.cents (Order Largest to smallest) the International (and/or metric) date is standardised this way:

International Standard ISO 8601 specifies numeric representations of date and time. This standard notation helps to avoid confusion in international communication caused by the many different national notations and increases the portability of computer user interfaces.

The international standard date notation is

YYYY-MM-DD

where YYYY is the year in the usual Gregorian calendar, MM is the month of the year between 01 (January) and 12 (December), and DD is the day of the month between 01 and 31.

•easily comparable and sortable with a trivial string comparison

•language independent

•can not be confused with other popular date notations

•consistency with the common 24h time notation system, where the larger units (hours) are also written in front of the smaller ones (minutes and seconds)

•strings containing a date followed by a time are also easily comparable and sortable (e.g. write “1995-02-04 22:45:00”)

•the notation is short and has constant length, which makes both keyboard data entry and table layout easier

The date notation 2/4/5 has at least six reasonable interpretations (assuming that only the twentieth and twenty-first century are reasonable candidates in our life time).

Much like the intutive hours:minutes:seconds, degrees/minutes/seconds, even dollars.cents (Order Largest to smallest) the International (and/or metric) date is standardised this way:

International Standard ISO 8601 specifies numeric representations of date and time. This standard notation helps to avoid confusion in international communication caused by the many different national notations and increases the portability of computer user interfaces.

YYYY-MM-DD

where YYYY is the year in the usual Gregorian calendar, MM is the month of the year between 01 (January) and 12 (December), and DD is the day of the month between 01 and 31.

•language independent

•consistency with the common 24h time notation system, where the larger units (hours) are also written in front of the smaller ones (minutes and seconds)

•strings containing a date followed by a time are also easily comparable and sortable (e.g. write “1995-02-04 22:45:00”)

•the notation is short and has constant length, which makes both keyboard data entry and table layout easier

The date notation 2/4/5 has at least six reasonable interpretations (assuming that only the twentieth and twenty-first century are reasonable candidates in our life time).

By your quoted definition, you meant to say it had already come and gone on the thirteenth of December, 11. As in 11AD. :ph34r:

YYYY-MM-DD

•language independent

By your quoted definition, you meant to say it had already come and gone on the thirteenth of December, 11. As in 11AD. :ph34r:

You beat me to it

I live in a town near the Canadian border and know full well that this day/month or month/day confusion is a common problem among date writers and date readers.

If you adopt the military format you would write 11DEC13 instead of 11/12/13.

This format avoids the day/month confusion and allows the reader the benefit of not having to stop and answer the "Is it day/month or month/day question.

Additionally, the reader does not have to do the number to month conversion.

It is clear and concise with no doubts or questions and usually takes no more characters or key strokes as the other formats.