download multiple caches to my GPS

Mike&Jan2013

Don't think so- dont see how it would be efficient in any way. Unless you want all the caches downloaded at once, you'd have to choose which caches, say by clicking the cache icon, and clicking a button to add to a list... As it is now you can click on a cache icon, and instead of opening the cache page, you can download the cache to your GPS. So the only difference is the when you actually start the download....

Or at least I'm sure you can download a cache from the map without opening the actual cache page. I know up can log them like that.

Yup- when you click the cache and the bubble pops up on the map, select "send to GPS"

So you're either downloading right away, or creating a list of caches to download at once- which can also be accomplished by a bookmark list, and a PQ.

So simple answer is yes, you can do it.

Though if you want to load all the caches at once, a PQ would work, and I think if you view as a list (not map) you can download everything on theist.

Edited by T.D.M.22

If you're downloading a bunch of caches all in the same area (e.g., some place you're planning on going caching later), then the easiest way to get them all at once is a Pocket Query. Just center the map on the area you're interested in, zoom in/out to get the radius of caches you're looking for, and then click "Save As Pocket Query" in the left sidebar menu. You may end up with some caches a bit beyond where you're planning on going to, but the time it saves it totally worth it, especially if you want to download a good number of caches!

If you want to only download select caches off a map that aren't all in a certain radius, first create a bookmark list. Then, when you click on the cache icon on the map and the info box pops up, you can click "Bookmark It" and save it to that bookmark list you just created. Add all the caches you're interested to that list, then download the entire list as a Pocket Query (the option is at the bottom of the list). This would seem to be the easiest way to get a bunch of disparate caches on the map "cached" to then download all together later.

If you're downloading a bunch of caches all in the same area (e.g., some place you're planning on going caching later), then the easiest way to get them all at once is a Pocket Query. Just center the map on the area you're interested in, zoom in/out to get the radius of caches you're looking for, and then click "Save As Pocket Query" in the left sidebar menu. You may end up with some caches a bit beyond where you're planning on going to, but the time it saves it totally worth it, especially if you want to download a good number of caches!

If you want to only download select caches off a map that aren't all in a certain radius, first create a bookmark list. Then, when you click on the cache icon on the map and the info box pops up, you can click "Bookmark It" and save it to that bookmark list you just created. Add all the caches you're interested to that list, then download the entire list as a Pocket Query (the option is at the bottom of the list). This would seem to be the easiest way to get a bunch of disparate caches on the map "cached" to then download all together later.

This^

When they added the PQ from map view, it was an amazing little update. The only thing is, be sure that you understand how to use pocket queries.

If you let us know your GPS model, and what type of computer you are using, we can start there. :smile:

Hi,

is it possible to select multiple geocaches from the map screen to a GPS in one batch?

Any help would be appreciated.

Best regards,

Mike

If the GC website can't do it you can probably do it in GSAK.

As other have pointed out, the easiest solution is to create a bookmark list and then click on the caches on the map that you are interested in. Once you have all the caches you are interested in, you can convert that to a PQ and then load the PQ into you GPS.

But that can be a bit tedious. A more sophisticated technique is to load the general area into a GSAK database and run the Google_Maps macro. This will show all the caches in the database in Google maps.

You can then draw a polygon around all the caches you are interested in and then send all those caches to a Filter query in GSAK. GSAK can then upload to your GPS

3f7ce329b2dbf053372b2ddfddd80dc1.png

Hi datalore,

Unfortunately, without being a premium member, there's no real easy way to download a lot of caches all at once. It's one of the huge (the biggest, in my opinion) benefits of premium membership - the ability to run pocket queries, which allows for downloading up to 1000 caches at once. Right along with that is the ability to make bookmark lists - another way to aggregate caches you're interested in and then download them all at once.

To get all the caches in a certain region, a pocket query is probably what you're looking for.

Hi datalore,

Unfortunately, without being a premium member, there's no real easy way to download a lot of caches all at once. It's one of the huge (the biggest, in my opinion) benefits of premium membership - the ability to run pocket queries, which allows for downloading up to 1000 caches at once. Right along with that is the ability to make bookmark lists - another way to aggregate caches you're interested in and then download them all at once.

To get all the caches in a certain region, a pocket query is probably what you're looking for.

And, without a pocket query, you would have to download each cache you would like to load individually from the cache page.

Hi I signed up as a premium member and downloaded a pocket querie to my email. I followed the step by step instructions to get that far. I am not sure how to now transfer that information to my gps unit. I have a explore 710 with a a lot of pre loaded caches all over the usa aready on the unit. Can you please assist me in transfering the pocket queries info to my unit. Any help would be appreciated. ciao datalore

Hi I signed up as a premium member and downloaded a pocket querie to my email. I followed the step by step instructions to get that far. I am not sure how to now transfer that information to my gps unit. I have a explore 710 with a a lot of pre loaded caches all over the usa aready on the unit. Can you please assist me in transfering the pocket queries info to my unit. Any help would be appreciated. ciao datalore

In my opinion, the easiest thing to do is to connect your GPS unit to your computer, and then open it up, much like you would a usb drive. Once open, you'll see that there is a "Geocaches" folder. The first thing you'll want to do is delete all the files out of that folder - if you retain any geocache files from when you were a non-premium member, any new files you load won't show the additional information you get with the premium member/GPX download.

Once all the files are deleted out of that folder, you can then add your pocket query. Make sure your pocket query is unzipped. Once unzipped, you should have two GPX files - one of the geocaches, and one of the waypoints (which will have "wpts" in the file name). Drag the geocaches file into the "Geocaches" folder. Drag the waypoints file into the "Waypoints" folder.

And that should be it! Your eXplorist 710 can hold multiple pocket queries, so you can have thousands of geocaches stored on your GPS unit. Enjoy! :)

You have to hook up the GPS to your computer/laptop via USB cable.

Here's a link on how to do it on the Megellan

http://support.magellangps.com/support/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=814

Hi Lieblweb and redwoodkestrel

I want to thank you for your help. I was able to do the download and was able to save the info on the unit thanks to your assistance. Now I need to go outside and find some of the caches. Happy hunting to you all and I look forward to remaining in contact on the site.

Ciao for now