Board Game Cache Series

ScoutDadNC

There's a NO CLUE series down in the Antelope Valley area of California. Someone did a Monopoly Series in Arizona, which seems to be going away slowly. Also a Copyrighted Board Game Series in Marin County (Here's a hint, it has Boardwalk and Park Place) along some back roads.

The NO CLUE series started off as the CLUE series. Someone decided it would be funny to add the NO part. :laughing:

There's a NO CLUE series down in the Antelope Valley area of California. Someone did a Monopoly Series in Arizona, which seems to be going away slowly. Also a Copyrighted Board Game Series in Marin County (Here's a hint, it has Boardwalk and Park Place) along some back roads.

Some of the series of caches that I have seen are nothing more than a bunch of caches that use a common theme for the cache name. A series of caches based on Monopoly which just uses the names on the playing cards really isn't about the game of Monopoly. It's more of just a way to give 40 caches distinct names.

Some of the series of caches that I have seen are nothing more than a bunch of caches that use a common theme for the cache name. A series of caches based on Monopoly which just uses the names on the playing cards really isn't about the game of Monopoly. It's more of just a way to give 40 caches distinct names.

The one in Marin County had clues in each cache, used to find unknowns. So there was a tiny bit more to it than just cards.

I own a geocache that is a chess puzzle. Has been published at the national website for years. No one (as far as I remember) completed it in one day. Not published at geocaching.com yet. (Need to go there and check all stages, it's not easy because of the terrain).

The name on those caches started off as Monopoly and was changed to Copyrighted Board Game. I never asked why but I assume that somebody raised an issue.

I believe Hasbro tend to get involved protecting their copyright quite aggressively - there was a series in London placed, I believe, at the actual sites (quite how they managed Vine Street I don't know) which had to be not named after the Game Which Shall Not Be Named.

There are a few here based on different board games - one on Totopoly certainly (a horse racing game, it probably has a different name in the States) and I think Carcassone etc...

My Who Dunnit Series is set up like this. You have to go out and find five traditional Who Dunnit Caches. They are all at least small caches if not regulars. When you get to the cache, you open the log book, and there is a Suspect, Weapon, and Room. You record these, because these are now eliminated.

Then after you have all 5 traditionals, you have eliminated all but one suspect, weapon and room. Then you go to the puzzle cache page, and look at the options, eliminate the cleared suspects, and it will give you the coordinated for the final, which is an Ammo Can. It has 20 finds, and 8 Favorite points. 44% according to GC.com.

I have gotten a lot of positive feed back, and it seems like everyone enjoys the series.

I have also seen several of the "Battleship Series" I contacted the CO of the one in Virginia, he told me about the time and dedication to that series. Not ready for that yet. It has 100 traditional Micro's that you can log and even record a hit or miss. Each one also includes a location on the game board. Then once you sink all of the ships, you have the coords for a puzzle, which each is named after one of the ships. When you go to those, each one gives you parts of coordinates for the final FLEET COMMAND.

So that is 100 traditionals, and 6 puzzles.

My thoughts for my next game are going to be like this.

Monopoly: The board has 4 sides

Each property will have a traditional. IN that traditional, (most likely a micro film can or something) there will be a partial to the coords for the Railroad on that side of the board. Each RR is a puzzle.

Find all 4 Railroads, that will give you the coords to the utilities. Find the utilities and it will give you the coords to the final. Considering calling it "Free Parking" This will be at least a Ammo can, but most likely a 5 gallon bucket.

Oh, and as a bonus, I am planning on launching 4 tracker-bugs. 2 Chance and 2 Community Chest. There will be a request that they stay in NC, preferably east of I-95. Each TB will give the holder the coords to one of the RR. making things easier.

Does anyone have any information on these: Go, Scrabble, Cribbage, Bridge, Poker, and Petals Around the Roses.

Any other games that you think would be good to do.

Edited by ScoutDadNC

I have a Games People Play series with 5 traditionals set up around dice, dominoes, cards, Scrabble, and Bingo. Each cache has the playing pieces for each "game" and in each cache, the seekers need to find two numbers to help get to the final, an unknown and #6 in the series. The hardest part of the series (and it's not overly difficult) is finding the two numbers in each set of game pieces. Bingo is the most fun as I colored two of the Bingo balls a different color, placed ALL the balls into a drinking container with a snap top lid and then taped the whole thing shut, leaving only the opening as the exit so that the balls can only come out one at a time.

It's not really board games, but those that take the time to actually do all of them, instead of just logging the caches, really enjoy the series. Only 12 have done the "work" and claimed the final (which has its own "game" as well).

I made a cache using Scrabble. The puzzle was fun, and the final location was worth a visit. I just wish that I still owned it...but the adopting owner has taken good care of it.

I know that puzzle caches based on Sudoku are overdone but there is/was a really interesting one in Barcelona. It was based on the city street grid. First you had to solve a sodoku puzzle. Then you were give a list of building names. You had to match up the building names to the numbers from sudoku puzzle results to derive a set of coordinates. It worked because that part of the city generally had 3 buildings on each block, forming a 3x3 grid of buildings. Most of the buildings are historical or in some way significant (it included Sagrada Familia).

Once again, only my opinion, but hey, the OP asked for opinions!

I find series caches where you have to find a bunch of other caches each with a piece of the coords for a final to often be tedious and boring. It's a transparent way for COs to try to increase traffic to their caches. It's gotten to the point where I usually just add those finals to my ignore list.

But then, I am definitely a puzzle cacher, so it may be that others like that sort of thing.

I made a cache using Scrabble. The puzzle was fun, and the final location was worth a visit. I just wish that I still owned it...but the adopting owner has taken good care of it.

At last! A puzzle a Scrabble Fiend can solve!!! =)

:grin:

Well, see if you can find the cheat "my other half" used in the game.

When I realized it, I was both shocked and overjoyed that someone called it to my attention! :laughing:

Someone had a chess based series. In our city we have the worlds largest chess set (It's listed on Guinness World Records) and we had an event at the location...So one cache created a series, with each cache named after a chess piece; King, Pawn, Rook, etc. A couple of the caches had co-ords in them to the final called checkmate. Not exactly like playing chess, but it was fun...

My Who Dunnit Series is set up like this. You have to go out and find five traditional Who Dunnit Caches. They are all at least small caches if not regulars. When you get to the cache, you open the log book, and there is a Suspect, Weapon, and Room. You record these, because these are now eliminated.

Then after you have all 5 traditionals, you have eliminated all but one suspect, weapon and room. Then you go to the puzzle cache page, and look at the options, eliminate the cleared suspects, and it will give you the coordinated for the final, which is an Ammo Can. It has 20 finds, and 8 Favorite points. 44% according to GC.com.

I have gotten a lot of positive feed back, and it seems like everyone enjoys the series.

That sounds like a lot of fun!

We set out a Battleship series in southern MN, near Hayfield. It's a 7X7 grid and a final GC4AJFT. Each cache is 1 mile away from the last, so the entire grid covers 36 square miles in the middle of farm territory. It's been very well received. We've had a number of people come considering it a power trail, because you can get 50 caches in just a few hours. In the six months or so it's been live, we've had more than 50 favorite points on the final (which requires up to 49 finds before you can find the final). People love a unique concept that's executed and still provides some fun. We're currently working on upgrading the series to include qr codes for the hit/ miss clues.

We set out a Battleship series in southern MN, near Hayfield. It's a 7X7 grid and a final GC4AJFT. Each cache is 1 mile away from the last, so the entire grid covers 36 square miles in the middle of farm territory. It's been very well received. We've had a number of people come considering it a power trail, because you can get 50 caches in just a few hours. In the six months or so it's been live, we've had more than 50 favorite points on the final (which requires up to 49 finds before you can find the final). People love a unique concept that's executed and still provides some fun. We're currently working on upgrading the series to include qr codes for the hit/ miss clues.