North Kitsap Cache Machine

travisl

Note: circumstances may change after this initial posting. Look for my posts (with the icon13.gif icon) in this thread for all the important details and changes.

(Link to dinner event cache.)

We have cliffs and beaches, tree farms and mud, historic scenes and mystery machines. Welcome to the other side. Welcome to North Kitsap.

Fill up the tank, toss down some breakfast at way-too-early o'clock, and start on the route. Sunrise on Saturday, December 28, is at 7:30 a.m., and we're starting near the end: GC3RNMD, Rite Behind. From there, move at your own pace and get as many as you can.

Dinner's at 4:30 p.m. at Puerto Vallarta, 8208 NE State Hwy 104, Kingston, N 47° 48.650 W 122° 32.406. See its event page for details. A headcount ahead of time is always helpful; please log your "will attends" on the event page.

Note that several caches on the route map may be marked with a "do not enter" icon (icon_disabled.gif). Those cache owners have justifiably asked for their cache to not be on the route. The cache is, in the owner's opinion, in a sensitive area, whether it's environmentally sensitive, socially sensitive, or physically fragile. Just don't get it. It's not like there's a shortage of caches in the area.

Rules:

1) Follow all traffic laws, and drive safely. This is not a race; there are no winners. The only loser will be someone who gets hurt.

2) Respect private property, even if the cache owner didn't. Post your DNFs proudly.

3) One logbook entry for "NKCM" is fine for most small and micros. Don't go filling up the logbook just because you want to mark your territory. 100 people's names and dates will fill up most one-sheets. Be kind and bring extra paper to add to caches with full logbooks.

4) As with all cache machines, if you find the cache, you'll be the one who has to re-hide it. Hide it as well as you found it. Handing it off to someone else and pointing down saying "it goes there" isn't good enough. Don't be a jerk. The extra 45 seconds isn't going to ruin your day.

If you’ve already found a couple of these caches, that’s fine - give us a chance to find the cache, and then we may turn to you for a hint. Suggestions and ''Count me ins'' are welcome on the event page.

----

The North Kitsap Cache Machine FAQ:

When is it? When is the start time?

Saturday, December 28, 2013. Start time is 7:30 a.m. at GC3RNMD, Rite Behind.

Will it be one large group, will we be split into teams, or what?

We'll start as one large group, but after a dozen caches or so, the large groups will likely fragment, and on a long day like this, you'll probably be on your own by the time most people are waking up.

Is anything going on before, during, or after?

• Friday, December 27 at 6:30 p.m. will be a pre-event dinner. Location will be announced later in this thread, once I figure it out.
  • Saturday, December 28, at 7:30 p.m., dinner will be at Puerto Vallarta, 8208 NE State Hwy 104, Kingston, N 47° 48.650 W 122° 32.406. Please let me know how many of you are coming by logging a "will attend" on the event page.
  • Sunday, December 29, is up to you. There's a lot more caches in the area.

A cache on your map shows the wrong place to park.

Hey, that road doesn't exist!

What's with making us ford a river?

The tide's gonna be too high to get this cache!

Thanks for catching that! Let me know, and I'll fix the route. I've never been to this area, so I'm counting on advice like yours.

If dinner's at 4:30 p.m., why does the route run way past then? Is this a two-day event?

The extra time is a buffer, in case you're so good that you'd run out of caches before you run out of daylight. I don't expect anyone would be able to hit all of them between sunrise and sunset. Of course, if you wanted to hit them after dinner, or on Sunday, I'm sure you'll be able to find folks to join you.

It sounds fun, but I've already found some of them.

Then come laugh at us, or guess when we'll be at the caches you haven't hit yet.

You don't have X cache on the route. Why aren't we getting that one?

I try to avoid most multicaches, most puzzle caches, caches that appear to be overly time consuming, and caches that the owner has asked us to avoid. Also, with so many caches to find, I've passed some urban caches in order to get to cooler spots later in the route.

You have X cache on the route, but it's disabled/archived/a two mile hike.

Let me know, and I'll remove it from the route (if archived) or will check with the owner (if disabled).

X cache is in an environmentally sensitive area.

By all means, let me know. I don't want to send 75 people there to stomp all over it.

I disagree with the whole idea of cache machines. I don't want you finding my cache.

Sorry to hear that. It's too bad you've got a neat place to show us that we won't be able to see. Let me know, and I'll remove it from the route and add it to the "do not hunt" list

What's this gonna cost me?

Nothing for the caching. Or, at least, nothing more than it would cost than if you did the trip solo (e.g., paying for your own gas, hotel, and dinner). I'm not collecting any money for this.

Lunch? Breaks? Bathrooms?

There's no breaks in cache machines! Just hold it. :-P Or find something on the way.

Rain? Snow? Landslides? Flooding?

Probably, yes. Do what you safely can, and skip ahead when reality or your capabilities don't match the plan. Be prepared and flexible.

What do the map symbols mean?

Turquoise lines show my suggested route, but if there's a brown trail or grey road that I've drawn in, ignore the turquoise. And there's these symbols:

ce16d180-40c2-423d-a3ab-b976b7b4a2b2.jpg

I've posted the first draft of the route, and would love any feedback you're willing to provide. Thanks already to JHolly for some pre-draft advice. My scrawled trails are based on the North Kitsap Trails Association map. I hear that the Northwest Trails maps have even more detail, but I don't have the hardware to utilize that.

The event page is in review live, too.

Edited by travisl

Travis... I will do my best to check on some of our caches, I had no idea so many would be on the route. I noticed some of our caches, are in areas that have overgrown and might be hard to access. You may need to take some of the caches off the route, unless people are willing to bring clippers or machetes. I hope to get up there before Thanksgiving to see how overgrown some of these areas are. Parking will be difficult for the caches along Hansville Road, there is usually only enough parking for 2-3 cars in some of those areas. I'm glad my neighbors in Hansville have no idea what our geocaching name is, they may not like Geocachers after this crazy raid on their town. ;-)

Travis... I will do my best to check on some of our caches, I had no idea so many would be on the route. I noticed some of our caches, are in areas that have overgrown and might be hard to access. You may need to take some of the caches off the route, unless people are willing to bring clippers or machetes. I hope to get up there before Thanksgiving to see how overgrown some of these areas are. Parking will be difficult for the caches along Hansville Road, there is usually only enough parking for 2-3 cars in some of those areas. I'm glad my neighbors in Hansville have no idea what our geocaching name is, they may not like Geocachers after this crazy raid on their town. ;-)

What do you mean you did think so many were on the route? I remember those days when the bombers with the SSV on the tail were flying low and dropping ammo cans all over the tree farms and parks. I got 137 so far and I'm still not done!. :) I've already made Travis aware of the tight parking up and around there. Actually most of the route has tight parking.

I've already made Travis aware of the tight parking up and around there. Actually most of the route has tight parking.

Yup, I'm aware that parking will be a challenge almost everywhere. Winter cache machines typically get lower attendance, and CMs closer to Seattle also get lower attendance, so that might help. If I skipped caches with tight parking, I think the entire route would be in Silverdale. :laughing:

I will do my best to check on some of our caches.... I noticed some of our caches, are in areas that have overgrown and might be hard to access. You may need to take some of the caches off the route, unless people are willing to bring clippers or machetes. I hope to get up there before Thanksgiving to see how overgrown some of these areas are.

I'm not interested in literally bushwhacking to caches; can you imagine the outcry we'll get when someone says that the mob of cachers brought a machete? That'll make the fern-trampling people look like angels. I also know that caches made inaccessible by blackberries in August are often open and exposed in December, so I appreciate you taking a look.

Draft 1 bookmark list is up.

#10-12 Read the sign on the gate - Don't block the gate. Parking will be tight.

#20 The given parking coordinates are really TIGHT. Basically the road ends at a gate and very little shoulder. The left side of the road past the gate is private property. An alternate entry for the trail is N47 53.665 W122 32.266 and park at N47 53.682 W122 32.263 and walk back to the trailhead. You can reach #22 from this trail, it is just a longer hike. Be careful Hanesville road is generally pretty busy. A plus to this parking spot is you don't have to move the car for #21, Orange. As always, don't block the orange gate.

#23 Your looking at 160-170 steps to reach the top of the bluff this way. An alternate parking spot is N47 54.246 W122 31.819. Follow the trail north, pretty flat and no steps. You can reach this by going east on NE Gust Halvor Rd and north on Thors road NE. Note that Hillview is posted private road no trespassing.

#26-30 From the parking lot the trail head is across the ball field to the south west.

#73-76 The parking is in a residential area and as I recall the roads don't have much of a shoulder. Parking will be tight. The trail head is by the water tanks, over the cement blocks and walk along the fence around the water tanks. The trail is in the back.

#79-81 Watch carefully for the parking, it is just an opening in the bushes, it is easy to drive right past it.

#95 If you can get to the posted parking you really don't need my help. I could never figure out how drive through the forest so I just parked at N47 50.203 W122 31.168. The parking is at the end of Parcells road. Travis's S&T has it right.

Edit: If you find an orange gate open never drive through. You may come back and find it locked.

Also cell phone reception, especially on the trails, can be pretty spotty on this route. If your depending on live cellphone data to find the caches you might be a bit disappointed. Load the PQ.

Edited by jholly

I'm going to ask that #95 be taken off the route... It is a very long hike and it will most likely be dark when people arrive at the parking, also the reception is terrible in that forest. #95 could take people 30-45 minutes to find. WE will be fixing a few of our caches, that are easy drive by caches, that could be added to the route. I would like to have the mystery cache taken off the route...

GC28JDB

"Where's Fred and Daphne?" I will send you a personal note Travis and Jholly to tell you why! ;-) I hope to get up to Hansville, the week after Thanksgiving to work on some of our caches.

Thanks,

Denise

Will there be cell phone coverage over the entire Cache Machine area?

Copy. Paste.

Also cell phone reception, especially on the trails, can be pretty spotty on this route. If your depending on live cellphone data to find the caches you might be a bit disappointed. Load the PQ.

Copy. Paste.

#38- #40 are suppose to be accessed from the Buck Lake Parking lot that is why they have a higher terrain rating. I will drive that part of the route, to see if you can access those caches through the neighborhood. I know the neighbors will not be happy if you cut through their yards to get to the caches, but maybe there is a trail there, I haven't noticed before. I hope to get up to Hansville later this week or next week to check on some of my caches and let you know about this part of the route.

Thanks Travis!

Copy. Paste.

#38- #40 are suppose to be accessed from the Buck Lake Parking lot that is why they have a higher terrain rating. I will drive that part of the route, to see if you can access those caches through the neighborhood. I know the neighbors will not be happy if you cut through their yards to get to the caches, but maybe there is a trail there, I haven't noticed before. I hope to get up to Hansville later this week or next week to check on some of my caches and let you know about this part of the route.

Thanks Travis!

All of the caches around Buck Lake can be accessed from both Ponderosa or Spruce or even the Sid Knutson trail head. There is a parking area by the trail entrance at the end of Ponderosa and a trail entrance by the curve in the road on Spruce. It is just a question of how much hiking you want to do. As I pointed out previously Ponderosa has parking for about three cars and Spruce has parking for about two. The Ponderosa parking is probably more problematic because your parking right in front of a house with the driveway access close to the parking.

Edited by jholly

#38- #40 are suppose to be accessed from the Buck Lake Parking lot that is why they have a higher terrain rating. I will drive that part of the route, to see if you can access those caches through the neighborhood. I know the neighbors will not be happy if you cut through their yards to get to the caches, but maybe there is a trail there, I haven't noticed before.

All of the caches around Buck Lake can be accessed from both Ponderosa or Spruce or even the Sid Knutson trail head. There is a parking area by the trail entrance at the end of Ponderosa and a trail entrance by the curve in the road on Spruce.

SS&V, I appreciate your offer to go check it out, and if you do, I'd love to hear your feedback. I'm not sure it's necessary, though. The geocaching/Google map of the area shows these trailheads, including Ponderosa, and the property lines shown also are indicative of a trailhead.

This is further confirmed by the North Kitsap Trails Association's land trail map, which I found very useful in planning this CM route -- I don't have the hardware to run Moun10bike's NW Trails, which I've heard is even better in this area.

Plus, JHolly knows the area pretty well, and if he says there's a trailhead, I've got no reason to doubt it.

Ponderosa has parking for about three cars and Spruce has parking for about two. The Ponderosa parking is probably more problematic because your parking right in front of a house with the driveway access close to the parking.

Parking is going to be tight all through the route. Fortunately, it looks like the "will attend" numbers are fairly low, compared to other CMs. We'll manage. Some of us will just have to walk further than others.

I don't have the hardware to run Moun10bike's NW Trails, which I've heard is even better in this area.

Not sure what you mean by this. Basecamp runs on both windows and Mac, the NW trail maps are available for both Windows and Mac. Since you run S&T I would assume you have the hardware. You don't need a Garmin GPS to run NW Trails on your computer.

You don't need a Garmin GPS to run NW Trails on your computer.

Really?

/me checks it, finds it, installs it, runs it

I learned something new today. I call this weekend a success.

Good. I might suggest NW Topo. It's a bit bigger, but gives you streets in addition to the trails. The trails are the same. NM Trails works well with the Garmin street or topo maps since it is a transparent map. The NM Trails have very minimal street info.

You don't need a Garmin GPS to run NW Trails on your computer.

Really?

/me checks it, finds it, installs it, runs it

I learned something new today. I call this weekend a success.

Good. I might suggest NW Topo. It's a bit bigger, but gives you streets in addition to the trails. The trails are the same. NM Trails works well with the Garmin street or topo maps since it is a transparent map. The NM Trails have very minimal street info.

I spent the day fixing caches in Hansville. I decided to archive a few caches, but only one is on the route. GC1N8MF Tree House Cache is now archived. There was a homeless camp nearby, so it was time to shut that one down. I fixed one you may want to add to the route.... GC2MRT2 Beautiful Waterfront Park, this cache is right along your route. The caches are all ready now. Have fun! We might be at our beach house during the cache run and stop in to say hi, but since we've done 98% of these caches, I think we'll pass on the run. ;-)

Do you anticipate any more changes, Travis, or am I ok to do all the GSAK wizardry to load it into my numerous devices?

Generally, he releases the final draft the Monday before the CM, so you might want to wait a couple of days for that.

And the bookmark for the final should be available by Monday evening or Tuesday morning depending. My son an his family are visiting so I don't have the freedom I normally have.

Yup -- y'all have figured out my pattern. Here's the final route.

The pre-event dinner will be at 6:30 PM on Friday, December 27, at Taprock Grill, 760 NE Liberty Rd, Poulsbo, N 47° 44.524', W 122° 38.362'. It’s not an official event cache, they don’t know we’re coming, and seating may be tight, but there’s other options nearby if it’s too crowded for you.

GC1N8MF Tree House Cache is now archived. ... I fixed one you may want to add to the route.... GC2MRT2 Beautiful Waterfront Park, this cache is right along your route. The caches are all ready now. Have fun!

I've incorporated these changes. Thanks for your work in getting them all ready for us!

Really hating to sound like a noob here, but I've never been able to figure out how to order my pocket queries/bookmarks and the GSAK export so that they are in the same order as the route, short of renaming them numerically. Suggestions from any GSAK or bookmark guru's?

For GSAK:

1. Use the User Data field to number them 01-88. (You could use User Sort, which is a numerical field, but it dumps the leading 0's; User Data will keep the 0's so the caches remain in route order.)

2. When you export to your GPSr or GPX file, use this for the waypoint name: %user%smart. This will create cache names in numerical order, beginning with the number and then the smart name (shortened cache name, not the GC#). Example: 01RiteBehind.

Hope that helps.

Really hating to sound like a noob here, but I've never been able to figure out how to order my pocket queries/bookmarks and the GSAK export so that they are in the same order as the route, short of renaming them numerically. Suggestions from any GSAK or bookmark guru's?

For GSAK:

1. Use the User Data field to number them 01-88. (You could use User Sort, which is a numerical field, but it dumps the leading 0's; User Data will keep the 0's so the caches remain in route order.)

2. When you export to your GPSr or GPX file, use this for the waypoint name: %user%smart. This will create cache names in numerical order, beginning with the number and then the smart name (shortened cache name, not the GC#). Example: 01RiteBehind.

Hope that helps.

Aaaaand, there ya go! I knew someone smart had figured it out. Thanks.

For GSAK:

Hope that helps.

However the Garmin, and probably others, will still show them listed in order of nearest. So the list will probably be out of order. But at least you have the number to guide you.

For GSAK:

Hope that helps.

However the Garmin, and probably others, will still show them listed in order of nearest. So the list will probably be out of order. But at least you have the number to guide you.

Yes, right-o. But with the numbers at the start of the name, it's easy to pick out the next one on the route, even if you have to scroll.

For GSAK:

Hope that helps.

There are some advantages to using User Sort - one, if you double click in the column it will auto fill with the next number (Tools=>Options will allow you to set the starting and increment numbers - start with zero and increment with 1). If you use a short macro you can have the number sent to the GPSr in front of the name:

%macro="Alpha User Sort.gsk" %Name (or %Smart as you wish).

The macro is

IF $d_UserSort>0

$AUS=Right("000"+NumToStr($d_UserSort),3)

ELSE

$AUS=""

ENDIF

$_Special=$AUS

This will handle up to 999 caches (numbered from 001 to 999). If you increment with 10 you'd get 010 to 990 (and any added between).

I tried changing the "name" on the Send to GPS dialog for my Garmin Etrex 30 to %user%smart but my GPSr didn't recognize my geocache waypoints as geocaches.

I'm assuming you have the Etrex 30 selected in 'GPSr Setup'. Make sure you have 'geocache' selected under 'Waypoint Type'. Also, you can't change the Code (the GCxxxxx number) where %smart is generally used (it get confusing as GC.com, Garmin, and GSAK all use different labels for the same item - at different times!). But you can try "%user %name" (without the quotes) in the 'Name' box. Depending on how your GPSr sorts you might be able to see the number there.

Just to double check: you were able to see the waypoints on the GPSr, just not as Geocaches? Depending on how far away you are from the caches, the closest list may not show them. There is a distance limit built in. A name/spell search should show them.

I tried changing the "name" on the Send to GPS dialog for my Garmin Etrex 30 to %user%smart but my GPSr didn't recognize my geocache waypoints as geocaches.

I'm assuming you have the Etrex 30 selected in 'GPSr Setup'. Make sure you have 'geocache' selected under 'Waypoint Type'. Also, you can't change the Code (the GCxxxxx number) where %smart is generally used (it get confusing as GC.com, Garmin, and GSAK all use different labels for the same item - at different times!). But you can try "%user %name" (without the quotes) in the 'Name' box. Depending on how your GPSr sorts you might be able to see the number there.

Just to double check: you were able to see the waypoints on the GPSr, just not as Geocaches? Depending on how far away you are from the caches, the closest list may not show them. There is a distance limit built in. A name/spell search should show them.

I see the GarminExport supports the Etrex 10, 20, & 30. You might take a look at using that, and insert the %user%smart in the 'Use Custom Cache Name' box. It worked (either hydnsek's or my version) on my 62s.

Thanks to everyone who participated. I'll archive the event next weekend.

Just an FYI, in case any of you were counting me on not changing anything in my 7-year schedule of upcoming cache machines: silly you.

Changes:

• Vancouver BC III will be moved south a few miles, to Delta or Surrey or Richmond. The date remains the same: September 27, 2014. I plan to include Point Roberts on the route, so get your passports or enhanced ID if you don't have them yet.
  • I've replaced Walla Walla II with Kelowna in September 2017.
  • Walla Walla II is now March 2019, replacing Coeur d'Alene II.
  • Coeur d'Alene II is now September 2020, replacing Methow II.
  • I've added Bend II (March 2021) and Monroe/Snohomish (June 2021) to the list.
  • Methow II is now September 2021.

As noted on the list, all dates are tentative until the event actually gets its own event cache page.

Also, someone who's name has escaped my brain was asking me about doing cache machines near his new home in Denver. I'd mentioned to him that I'd heard of cache machine events in Dallas, but I thought Colorado was virgin territory.

I'm so wrong -- by bizzare coincidence, it was Denver I was thinking of, mixing up my "D" towns. I know nothing about what went on at these events in 2009-2012, and had nothing to do with them, but for what it's worth, here they are:

Just an FYI, in case any of you were counting me on not changing anything in my 7-year schedule of upcoming cache machines: silly you.

Changes:

• Vancouver BC III will be moved south a few miles, to Delta or Surrey or Richmond. The date remains the same: September 27, 2014. I plan to include Point Roberts on the route, so get your passports or enhanced ID if you don't have them yet.

As noted on the list, all dates are tentative until the event actually gets its own event cache page.

Oh man, I had the baby sitter lined up an all, now I have to change those plans, drat.

I assume Kelowna is BC, not WA?

Kelowna, BC would be neat, hoping September is not too late to go up Highway 5 (the Coquihalla). It looks like it would be a pretty drive if the pavement is dry and the sun is shinning. Could I see your September and raise you a June? Bremerton would work fine in September.

Edited by jholly

Changes:

Oh man, I had the baby sitter lined up an all, now I have to change those plans, drat.

I assume Kelowna is BC, not WA?

Kelowna, BC would be neat, hoping September is not too late to go up Highway 5 (the Coquihalla). It looks like it would be a pretty drive if the pavement is dry and the sun is shinning. Could I see your September and raise you a June? Bremerton would work fine in September.

What Jim said.

And wow, those Denver folks sure don't appreciate a good cache machine. 10 attendees? And 21 was their high. Clearly, they don't have the Travis touch. :lol:

Vancouver BC III will be moved south a few miles, to Delta or Surrey or Richmond. The date remains the same: September 27, 2014. I plan to include Point Roberts on the route, so get your passports or enhanced ID if you don't have them yet.

Probably should also mention that if you had a DUI in the past and unless you have filed the proper paperwork or get a temporary resident permit ($200 I think) you can and probably will be denied entry to Canada. Reckless driving and a few other offenses can also deny admission. Google is your friend.

I checked the weather history for September in Kelowna, and it looks like the average high temperatures around that time are still in the mid to upper 60s. The leaves should be starting to turn.

Bremerton has so many caches; it's best left for a summer event.

And regarding Delta/Surrey/Richmond, I'm looking forward to writing an e-mail to both customs agencies telling them about the mass of people they can expect at Point Roberts. I so want to get a lineup of cachers stuck at the border crossing, and to be able to have a conversation with someone on the other side of the curb at Monument Park. Seriously, this street view of the US/Canada border boggles my mind.

I checked the weather history for September in Kelowna, and it looks like the average high temperatures around that time are still in the mid to upper 60s. The leaves should be starting to turn.

It was not so much about Kelowna, but the Coquihalla summit on highway 5. I'll do a little weather research.