The problem with the GPS Map 60 CSx

Igor & Mira

Dear,Appreciating your experiences, I am addressing you for help.

Allows the user to Garmin GPS Map 60 CSx unit. On Saturday via web update I put chipset region. After that, I was verydisappointed. The accuracy of the unit is drastically changed, especially whenmoving.

Earlier at a good time outdoors precision was 2-3m.(EGNOS) Now the8-12 m.

I'm sure it was after this update. I would ask for help and advice, so that the machine returns to its previous state. Will chipset region to be deleted after a Master Reset?

Currently on the unit Software Version 4.0 and GPS SW 2.60 m<br style="orphans: 2; widows: 2; color: rgb(34, 34, 34); font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 13px;"><br style="orphans: 2; widows: 2; color: rgb(34, 34, 34); font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 13px;">Greetings to all

<br style="color: rgb(34, 34, 34); font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 13px;">

Edited by Igor & Mira

>> Will chipset region to be deleted after a Master Reset?<<

I don't understand the question, however you can use a Gps all over the world, even after a master reset.

You might lose trip info like waypoints, tracks and other user data.

After a master reset you need to take the unit outside to get a satellite lock, this can take > 15 minutes sometimes. The gps needs a clear view to the sky as widr as possible, without anything between the sats and the unit.

If your unit doesn't work well after a master reset, you can use a previous firmware version.

But normally master reset does the trick.

Edited by splashy

Thank you for the appearance.

When running the WebUpdater it shows and additional

update named GPS Chipset (Region file). I update it on my unit.

This update is done problem. How to go back and delete. Does Master reset or reinstal software? What is better?

Edited by Igor & Mira

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=239765

See # 8, as I was forgotten and others told me you seem to have the newer model with a newer chipset.

But still, there is no reason why the Gps should be less accurate.

You could try to redownload the Firmware and install it once again.

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=1245

Instruction on the same page.

You still should master reset the unit and then bring the gps in the open air for about 15 minutes or so having a broad OPEN view to the sky.

Did you master reset the Gps, because I have the slight suspicion there is nothing wrong with your gps after a master reset.

If there was something wrong with the software we would have known.

I know you have 2 software files and the region file should NOT be responsible for a bad gps location indication, only for a faster sat. fix.

I have not done master reset.

Outside is a very bad weather.

Why location accuracy is not (+-2 m) even after EGNOS corrections.Now the precision of (+-3m) when the unit in place. When moving accuracy is reduced to 8-12 m.Of course this data is when the sky is clear.Earlier, the accuracy of the movement was (+-3-4 m). It's a big difference!

It can also be that Garmin has actually changed the calculations of estimated position error, to better represent reality (i.e. previously, it might have shown a way too good number). 8-12m position error is much more realistic in most receiver situations than 2-3m even with an unobstructed view of the sky.

Edited by tr_s

Yes, see my posting #10

"as I was forgotten and others told me you seem to have the newer model with a newer chipset."

But you can keep looking and searching, as long as you don't try the suggestions nothing will change.

Once again, there is probably nothing wrong with your gps and should anything be wrong with the software we would have known, the simple fact nobody is responding means nobody has or knows about this problem and therefore nobody knows another answer then MASTER RESET.

You don't seem to read my Emails.

We KNOW what your problems ARE, also what you downloaded. And 3-4 meters is normal behaviour in some places.

In the first line of your first Email you wrote; "via web update I put chipset regio"

This file is for THE HOTFIX, meaning it has your local data and knows where the satellites are, therefore it might start much faster then before.

Also you downloaded firmware.

You did a Master reset, so now leave the gps outside on an open space for about 15 minutes to let it lock.

If the gps is still inaccurate, try downgrading the firmware you were happy with and let it lock again.

Tonight I repeated the Master Reset. I set the unit in place for 1 hour. After half an hour, the unit had a full signal to the brim with 12 satellites as they can register. Then I enabled EGNOS and waited another half hour. Accuracy with EGNOS was (+-2m). When I started moving accuracy was (3-5m).

Finally, now everything is fine !

My mistake was that I did not wait at the site after a master reset the device, at least as much as is written in the instructions at the link above.

I thank you all for your hard work and great support.

Greetings to all and Happy cachig!

Igor & Mira

On my devices says: Software Version 4.0 but the GPS chipset SW 2.60m. I would GPS SW 3.0s. For SiRF Star chipset uses the GPS SW 3.0s. Mediatek uses GPS SW 2.60 m. I think it's on my unit a false SW. Therefore, it is now much slower.

Unfortunately, I do not remember which version it was before.

Is it possible using webupdater load the wrong chipset softvare?

Edited by Igor & Mira

The fact that your Gps loaded the "chipset region" file automaticly from Garmin should mean you have the Mediatek chip NOT the Sirf.

Once again the 'chipset region" should not be responsable for slower Gps response, only for a faster startup.

Be sure nothing is working in the background, maybe a forgotten route or similar is slowing the gps down.

Edited by splashy

Earlier, when I was in the woods or out of it was a small difference. Also in the apartment, the closed space, pointing to the accuracy of 16-20 meters.

Perhaps it was unrealistic, because I thought it was about another chipset.

I would ask if anyone knows. When the general published SW 2.60m? Year, month?

Edited by Igor & Mira

This is the answer to my question from one expert for GPS devices:

"The problem you have is related to when you tried to update the system software, your Garmin had an already failed component that didn't hold the software correctly, a bad memory location on an IC.

Garmin needs to fix that for you".

Edited by Igor & Mira

Maybe they have an answer??

http://www.gps-forum.ru/cgi-bin/forum/showpost.pl?Board=gpsgeneral&Number=123681&page=0&view=collapsed&mode=flat&sb=5

http://www.justanswer.com/gps/841jz-dear-i-problem-precision-gpsmap-60csx.html

I've seen that answer, but if you had a fallen bit, the gps probably wouldn't work, if a component isn't working now why would it work before the update.

You could contact Garmin and they will swap the gps for about $130 a refurbished unit, question is do you want that, anew Oregon 450 will cost about the same @ gpscity.

Edited by splashy