Deleted GPX files still in GPSr three or four weeks later...?

FiveEyes

A very strange thing happened. I wonder if there's anyone here who could explain it.

Before going on vacation, I connected my GPSr to my computer and, using "my computer", deleted all the pocket query GPX files I had loaded onto my Garmin GPSmap 62s. (I deleted them from both the "current" and "nav" files under GPX files, since when loading in files I put them in these two places). Then I loaded in two new pocket queries for the places I intended to go while on vacation. AFter doing this, I turned on the GPSr, and found that all the deleted files were still on the device. I went on vacation and when I returned 10 days later, since all the GPX files for local geocaches were still on the GPSr, I went geocaching using those previously loaded (and ostensibly deleted)files for another two weeks. Then one day I woke up and decided to go geocaching locally again, again using the GPX files that I had ostensibly deleted but which had remained in the device for three weeks after deleting them, only to find that all those files were now gone from the GPSr.

Who can explain this bizarre 3-4 week delay in the deletion of GPX files from the GPSr???!!?! THey were all deleted on October 8 2013, but they all remained on my GPSr device until about November 4 2013, at which point they suddenly disappeared. The deleted files were all usable during that time and I was going geocaching with them, reading clues, recording finds and so forth.

A very strange thing happened. I wonder if there's anyone here who could explain it.

Before going on vacation, I connected my GPSr to my computer and, using "my computer", deleted all the pocket query GPX files I had loaded onto my Garmin GPSmap 62s. (I deleted them from both the "current" and "nav" files under GPX files, since when loading in files I put them in these two places). Then I loaded in two new pocket queries for the places I intended to go while on vacation. AFter doing this, I turned on the GPSr, and found that all the deleted files were still on the device. I went on vacation and when I returned 10 days later, since all the GPX files for local geocaches were still on the GPSr, I went geocaching using those previously loaded (and ostensibly deleted)files for another two weeks. Then one day I woke up and decided to go geocaching locally again, again using the GPX files that I had ostensibly deleted but which had remained in the device for three weeks after deleting them, only to find that all those files were now gone from the GPSr.

Who can explain this bizarre 3-4 week delay in the deletion of GPX files from the GPSr???!!?! THey were all deleted on October 8 2013, but they all remained on my GPSr device until about November 4 2013, at which point they suddenly disappeared. The deleted files were all usable during that time and I was going geocaching with them, reading clues, recording finds and so forth.

try using GSAK, when loading files with GSAK there is an option to delete the GPX files that are in the gps (you can used GSAK for free but you will to put up with the nag screen)

When I connect my 62s to my PC, I open up the "Garmin" folder, then the "GPX" folder. In this folder are three other folders, "Archive", "Current" and "Nav". I ignore these folders and place the .GPX files from the unzipped Pocket Query directly into the GPX folder. I've never had the issue you have experienced. Strange!