Buddy Holly

Slytherin

I believe he and the Bopper went down near the Madison or lake Geneva area (or maybe that was Otis Redding. "Wisconsin: The Bermuda Triangle of great music!"). If this is the case, you would basically be devoting an entire day to the pilgrimage. You'd really have to be a Crickets fan in order to justify that.°

boo2.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by Kimrobin:

Does anyone know the co-ordinates for the site of the Buddy Holly Memorial at the crash site?

I'm hoping to go down there when we are visiting Minnesota in the summer, but can't find exactly where it is.

Thanks, Alex.

His plane crashed near Clear Lake, Iowa, which is not far from the Minnesota border. I don't have the exact coordinates, but locals there may be able to tell you. If you click here you can see photos people have taken of a small memorial near the spot in the field where he died.

[This message was edited by Ken & Robin on March 20, 2002 at 02:38 PM.]

Check with the Clear Lake Chamber of Commerce, too. Go see the Surf Ballroom, site of a big Buddy Holly celebration each February:

http://www.surfballroom.com/

And check the Clear Lake site.

Also, do an internet search for something like: Buddy Holly memorial. The one at the Surf is not it. I think I've seen it listed (if not indeed pictured) on a website somewhere.

Good luck!

I'm driving to what I think is the crash site late Saturday afternoon. I got the driving instructions from the Clear Lake Chamber web site and correlated those with the Topozone.com mapping site. I'll post the actual coordinates afterword, but here are my prelims in case someone else wants to risk it:

Lat 43.2195 N | Lon -93.3742999 W

Danny Bishop

Danny Bishop

Des Moines, Iowa

I've posted the crash site coordinates on the RadioWiseGuys.com web site, at the trail head coordinates at the road where you begin your half mile walk to the shrine and a couple pictures.

Trail Head:

43.2203232 North Latitude

93.3744163 West Longitude

Crash site and shrine:

43.2203726 North Latitude

93.3814222 North Longitude

Danny Bishop

Des Moines, Iowa

I hope this doesn't offend anyone, but this thread reminds me of a TV show I once watched. Can't remember the name of the show, but it starred Dabney Coleman (sp?) as a teacher (I think).

His daughter wanted to be in a rock'n'roll band which he would allow only if he managed the band.

"But, Dad, what do you know about rock'n'roll?"

"What do I know about rock'n'roll?! Why I was there when Buddy Holly was discovered!"

"In that little honky-tonk in Texas?"

"No, in that big field in Iowa."

Must be my warped sense of humour, but that gave me a chuckle geospotter.

Does anyone think that this would be an inappropriate place to hide a cache?

I'm not sure whether to do a traditional cache or a virtual. As I'm located about 3500 miles away, perhaps a virtual would be best.

Any thoughts?

i think you should do a poll somewhere to see what a number of ppl think.

being inappropriate (to may thinking) would depend the point(theme) of the cache, would it be "heres a crash site", "people died here", or "last memories of a music legend", or something other elase.

quote:
Originally posted by Slytherin formerly known as kimRobin:

Must be my warped Does anyone think that this would be an inappropriate place to hide a cache?

Any thoughts?

whack.gif

Just as most people are over the shock of the Lincoln assasination, most would not be offended by a virtual cache at the Buddy Holly crash site. I say "most" knowing that some people go out of their way to take offense at the most unusual things. Anyway, I think it would be a great place for a virtual cache. Now that the coordinates are listed, I want to go there.

quote:
Originally posted by Ken & Robin:

(snip) I say "most" knowing that some people go out of their way to take offense at the most unusual things. (snip)

Hey, I resemble that remark, and, I take OFFENSE to it! icon_biggrin.gif (Sorry, Couldn't resist!)

--majicman

(Always trade UP in both quantity and quality and Geocaches will be both self-sustaining and self-improving!)

quote:
Originally posted by Ken & Robin:

(snip) I say "most" knowing that some people go out of their way to take offense at the most unusual things. (snip)

Hey, I resemble that remark, and, I take OFFENSE to it! icon_biggrin.gif (Sorry, Couldn't resist!)

--majicman

(Always trade UP in both quantity and quality and Geocaches will be both self-sustaining and self-improving!)