Does This Count as a Find? (or joint find)

TeamWeis

I presume not but I figured I would ask anyway.

I started a friend off into geocaching recently. They are mobile phone users so no gps. They are on vacation in the grand caymans right now (and I am in the usa) and their phone does not wok outside the resort. In the event their is a geocache nearby I would guide them in by translating the map, cache details,clue, etc,. (If you are asking, why they do not do it..is because internet is spotty where they are and I would text them the info previous to their journey. Plus they are newbies.

In the event they find it does it become a WE found it...and they can sign my name?

If not how is it different than the following.

I been to a geo cache event and the cache is 60 feet up a tree climb. A few cachers came to the scene before my climb. (so other than showing up they did not know it was going to be a climbing cache) Before my ascend they said they were not going to do it (based on age, physical ability or what have you)..I did they climb. I signed their name. I did it in exchange that if I fell they were there to call 911. They did even less to make the find then the above scenario..they came to the scene and I shared it was a tree climb cache.

Just curious.

((Just to add some more thought...our friends would have never found the geocache without me..first reminding them to make a find, they are literally newbies with less than 10 finds, so even with the website they would not know how to make the find without their phone, and I provided all the communications, insight, etc.

I think it is an interesting question. Whether or not it counts for me I am not so concerned..i want them to find it first and foremost. (but since I am involved I thought what the heck..why not have them sign my name too)

TEAMWEIS

The Geocaching Police are not going to come and take you away if they sign your name, and you log it as a find, but I think you're going to get pretty much universal "that's cheesy" responses here. :) By the way, there are no Geocaching Police.

Many would even say the tree climbing scenario is "cheesy", although much more commonplace.

If you were to log the Grand Caymun's cache, I wouldn't describe how you're claiming the find as the remote guide in your find log.

To He Hate Me...common sense told me the same thing. I never posted before in the forums and thought it would be interesting discussion.

Now here is my dilemma...the cache has never been found (so a FTF for them)...it is a 3.5 difficulty hide in a small wooden area in a small park and it is a small cache (1 sized)...and my friends have less than a handful of finds. I would love for them to get it but they do not have the experience on where to look or my feeling they would feel to awkward scouring a larger area.

They are there for another day or two...

I am excited for them..I contacted the CO..no one has found it since posted (over 40 days)..I wonder if he would meet them to help some newbies. The hide is just off the beach near their hotel.

To He Hate Me...common sense told me the same thing. I never posted before in the forums and thought it would be interesting discussion.

Now here is my dilemma...the cache has never been found (so a FTF for them)...it is a 3.5 difficulty hide in a small wooden area in a small park and it is a small cache (1 sized)...and my friends have less than a handful of finds. I would love for them to get it but they do not have the experience on where to look or my feeling they would feel to awkward scouring a larger area.

I am excited for them..I contacted the CO..no one has found it since posted (over 40 days)..I wonder if he would meet them to help some newbies. The hide is just off the beach near their hotel.

Since in this case you're action of logging or not logging a find doesn't affect anyone else, you just have to do what feels right to you.

This is kinda, sorta, well, somewhat similar to those claiming a find on a "sister" cache in another state or country. Seems silly to me but seems to be a nifty idea with many out there. Again, cachers doing this aren't causing any problems, they just need to decide for themself whether they want to claim find or not. In either case, i need to be physically at ground zero before i claim a find.

Yes, it would be really cool, at least to me, if the CO could be contacted and made arrangements to meet your friends. It's always nice meeting cachers i haven't met before.

I would not have claimed a find in either the circumstances you describe in the OP, but I'm not the cache police and I don't care either way if other people do that unless they do it on one of my caches, in which case I might decide to delete the finds, but I suspect the overwhelming response here will be that it's cheesy.

It sounds to me as if you don't really feel it would be right to log, and perhaps you're hoping for someone to say it's OK so you can then feel good about it - in my view it's you're opinion that counts, not everyone elses, so do what feels right to you.

Here are a few examples from yesterdays outing with a team of others which I think illustrates where I draw the line, these were all micros so rather than signing 7 names we decided to use a team name:

1 easy cache which I retrieved, someone else wrote the team name on it and I replaced it - clearly a find for me.

1 cache hidden on a fence post, each of us searched a different post, one other found it on the post next to mine, I watched him sign it and replace it. I never touched, but could have easily, but it's a find for me.

1 cache on an island in a pond, I had the kayak and 2 of us went onto the island to search, eventually I ferried everyone else onto the island to continue the search while I paddled round searching the waters edge. Eventually another cacher found it & signed it, it was passed to me (still in the kayak) to see what I'd been searching for. I wasn't actually on the island at the time of the find, but was only 15 feet away, but I'd been there a few minutes earlier participating in the search so it's another find for me.

1 cache high up a tree, as soon as we figured out where it was I knew I wasn't going to make it up there. One of our crew used ropes to get well up the tree but didn't make it all the way, however even if he had made it I wouldn't have claimed the find as there was no way I could have done it myself, but if others on my team chose to claim a find when they never left the ground it wouldn't bother me.

St Matthew,

((I am not going to log it but posted this to stretch your thinking))

In modern day combat now our generals are thousands of miles away from the battlefield but get credit/blame for the victory or defeat. Without my navigation, sending them map, the description/hints, hand holding, coaching and encouragement..they do not make the find. No different then a general orchestrating his army.

Do not get me wrong..I too feel if I logged it, it would be a tad of a misreprentation but if geocaching is a team sport it is an interesting question to ask.

The whole situation seems very odd to me. Are they calling you and asking where these geocaches are? Or are you finding caches and calling them on their vacation?

Edited by giddeanx

They skyped me..they thought there phone would work...they are newbies without a gps. (they didn't go on vacation to geocache)..and now well...I am living vicariously through them.

Frankly 50% of the stuff posted on these forums are odd..isn't my question the purpose of the forum?

Frankly 50% of the stuff posted on these forums are odd..isn't my question the purpose of the forum?

We use million dollar satellites to hunt tupperware and light pole caches out in the wild. I would say that this is just one indication that we're an odd bunch. The odd stuff posted is normal but to be honest, i think your 50% guesstimate is a tad bit low... :P:blink:

They skyped me..they thought there phone would work...they are newbies without a gps. (they didn't go on vacation to geocache)..and now well...I am living vicariously through them.

I was just imagining someone calling me on my vacation. My response would most likely be "Who died? Oh, nobody? Well we'll see you in a week." But since your friend started the exchange I don't feel as bad. Maybe next time though you can lend them a loaded gps and they can find the tropical caches at their leisure.

We use million dollar satellites to hunt tupperware and light pole caches out in the wild. I would say that this is just one indication that we're an odd bunch. The odd stuff posted is normal but to be honest, i think your 50% guesstimate is a tad bit low... :P:blink:

LOL..good point.

Hey thanks all..My neighbor is hunting for it now. The airplane mode worked.

Here's what one Groundspeak lackey had to say in a different thread on the subject of remote finds:

Common misconceptions about couch potato logs

"There's no requirement visiting the location in the cache listing".

Stating that you must visit the location is not necessary as this is an implicit requirement,

Ok..I am not debating this for me to justify signing a log. To be honest I am not sure why I am continuing to respond to the thread other than to see how far people's slippery slope is on signing a log.

In the thread you shared..these are people signing a virtual cache on a cache they got the answers on the internet. They never been here. Now you can say nor was I but I was involved in a team find. (research, clues, contacting CO, sending maps, coaching, etc)I did have part of a team find who was physically there. I guess no different than a husband and wife combo who share a handle and the wife travels by herself for work and logs a find. Can the hubby claim he has xx finds...when some of the out of state finds where done by his wife. (in my case with my neighbor I done more work than the hubby did on the wife only find.)

I get it that there are some base guidelines, the community is self policed and end of the day it is your conscious you have to live with.

I think I could self justify signing the log..as self justifying anything is a perfected art form by every human being...at the end of the day...I am adding a NOTE to the cache log if they find it or DNF it. I feel part of the hunt...just not there for the kill.

My guess is I will strike a nerve with the wifey/hubby combo (or family team..such as mine)...or the guy who sat in the boat as their friend did a scuba dive cache...hey he atleast got to ground zero. :)

To go back to the original question, I personally don't think it would be cheesy at all for you to claim the find if you were remote but critically involved in finding the cache. In fact, I think it would be kinda cool, although I don't think you should make a habit of it. I can't really say whether I'd claim it or not. I think it would come down to how interesting I thought my find log would be.

It sounds like in the end you didn't actually help with the hunt as much as you expected, so it makes sense that you aren't going to log it now.

By the way, the only real answer is that it's up to you whether you log it, and up to the CO whether he accepts it. So if you ever do such a thing, be honest about where you were and what your role was so the CO can make his decision based on the facts.

Maybe if they find it, you can write a note on the page detailing your part? It does seem pretty cool and exciting to help, but logging the find does not seem like the best way (which I know you have already decided). But writing a note might be a nice way for you to participate.

I started a friend off into geocaching recently. They are mobile phone users so no gps. They are on vacation in the grand caymans right now (and I am in the usa) and their phone does not wok outside the resort. In the event their is a geocache nearby I would guide them in by translating the map, cache details,clue, etc,. (If you are asking, why they do not do it..is because internet is spotty where they are and I would text them the info previous to their journey. Plus they are newbies.

In the event they find it does it become a WE found it...and they can sign my name?

I been to a geo cache event and the cache is 60 feet up a tree climb. A few cachers came to the scene before my climb. (so other than showing up they did not know it was going to be a climbing cache) Before my ascend they said they were not going to do it (based on age, physical ability or what have you)..I did they climb. I signed their name. I did it in exchange that if I fell they were there to call 911. They did even less to make the find then the above scenario..they came to the scene and I shared it was a tree climb cache.

Just curious.

((Just to add some more thought...our friends would have never found the geocache without me..first reminding them to make a find, they are literally newbies with less than 10 finds, so even with the website they would not know how to make the find without their phone, and I provided all the communications, insight, etc.

I think it is an interesting question. Whether or not it counts for me I am not so concerned..i want them to find it first and foremost. (but since I am involved I thought what the heck..why not have them sign my name too)

TEAMWEIS

From your location you cannot even see the cache let alone sign the log, so I would say it is not a find for you.

Just curious.

TEAMWEIS

From your location you cannot even see the cache let alone sign the log, so I would say it is not a find for you.

I am not signing it..as I will add a note after their find or dnf. I feel part of the hunt just not the kill. But with your logic I ask you this...how can a hubby/wifey combo claim a find if they both are not there? (in their case it is a team sport..right. How is this different?)

I am not asking my question to support my justification of signing because I am not..I just want to see your justification for not. Both are team finds..mine is a team find in helping the blind lead the blind. I am active in the hunt. (a newbie contacted me to help find a cache..i found where they were, where the nearest chase is to them, sent a map, they have no gps...I find out here I can put their phone in airplane mode to get them to the coords. Contact the CO for a hint, etc) In the hubby/wife combo there are many cases where one party/spouse is active in the find and the other never saw it or there for the signing.

They are different but similar. (I am not being combative by any stretch like many can be in forums. It is just an interesting question with logic turned on logic. Many have JUSTIFIED in their head why they can sign a log when they didn't climb the tree but got to ground zero. In this case, I am the reason my neighbor got to ground zero.)

Interesting question, huh?

((Even if GS officially ruled it counts as a find..I would be hesitant to log. At this point..this thread is an interesting petri dish on logic and justifications.)

IMO if you're not physically at GZ then you shouldn't get the Find. I understand the comparison to tree climbing caches, but those folks are physically at the location even if they don't make the climb.

I would argue that there is no difference, morally, betwixt logging a find on a climbing cache whilst never leaving the ground, and logging a find on a cache in Utah whilst you are in Montana. With a tree climbing cache, part of the equation would be elevation. If not, then I could claim finds on the ET Trail, since I flew over it. That's not to say I think either is a sin. But, in my opinion, both are pretty cheesy.

The point of geocaching used to be go somewhere and hunt for something. Without that element I can't see the justification for logging a find if you weren't even there.

In the second example, at least the people went there and hunted for something. I personally wouldn't log that as a find unless I either made the climb or climbed up to replace the cache. I think most cachers would disagree and log that.

In the second example, at least the people went there and hunted for something. I personally wouldn't log that as a find unless I either made the climb or climbed up to replace the cache. I think most cachers would disagree and log that.

Agreed.

Now that CJ's no longer afraid of heights, one of us grabs it and the other puts it back.

She does see a lot of cheerleading squad logs accompanying climbers on her "5" hide, but many act as a team (with someone taking pics, organizing gear, etc.) while one or two climb.

I might surprise some the geocaching puritans by saying that I agree the OP should not log the cache.

But mainly this is because the OP already had a gut feeling about what they believed was the right action. Generally when people post in the forum to ask if you can log a find in some special circumstances, they already have a gut feeling about what they think it right, and no matter what is said, they will end up going with their gut.

Remember that Geocaching is fun game. While you can't stop people from looking at and comparing find counts it's important to remember what a wise man once said

Bickering over the rules of a cache "find" was never the intent of Geocaching.com. There's no prize, no leaderboard, and no trophy, so there's no reason to get your knickers in a twist about anyone else's definition of a find.

There are in fact few rules about when you can or cannot post an online find. In fact the main rule is that cache owners are responsible for the quality control of all posts to the cache listing. and are requested to delete any logs that appear to be bogus, counterfeit, off-topic or otherwise inappropriate. There is some guidance given to cache owners to rely on the signature in the log is determining whether an online find log should be deleted. And Groundspeak often follows their own guidance when the have to settled disputes and reinstate deleted logs.

Those who would have us blindly follow this guidance and associated the online find with the signature in the log, are the ones who have created the dilemma for the OP. The OP asks if their neighbor were to write their names in the log, could they then log the find online. How is this different than a group of cachers finding a cache and one person signing for the rest of the group?

Just because your name is in the log does automatically make the online log not bogus, just as the lack of your name does automatically mean the online log is bogus. The act of signing the log when you find the cache provides some evidence, but it is only part of the evidence that a cache owner should use to determine if a find is bogus.

Since it is up to the cache owner to delete the bogus logs, there are no doubt many online lines where someone didn't find the cache. They many have have participated in the hunt in some manner - whether directly at the cache site or remotely, they may simply be someone who accidentally posted on a different cache than the one they found, or they may even be someone who is simply posting find logs in the mistaken impression that they are increasing their score. Clearly, each person must decide for themselves when it is OK to log a find, just as each cache owner decides what logs are bogus.

Here's what one Groundspeak lackey had to say in a different thread on the subject of remote finds:

Common misconceptions about couch potato logs

"There's no requirement visiting the location in the cache listing".

Stating that you must visit the location is not necessary as this is an implicit requirement,

In the thread you shared..these are people signing a virtual cache on a cache they got the answers on the internet. They never been here. Now you can say nor was I but I was involved in a team find. (research, clues, contacting CO, sending maps, coaching, etc)I did have part of a team find who was physically there.

In the thread I shared, the specific issue MissJenn addressed was the armchair logging of virtual caches, but her general point was that geocaching inherently involves going to the cache's location.

I guess no different than a husband and wife combo who share a handle and the wife travels by herself for work and logs a find. Can the hubby claim he has xx finds...when some of the out of state finds where done by his wife. (in my case with my neighbor I done more work than the hubby did on the wife only find.)

There's a huge difference between a husband/wife account claiming a find for a cache that at least one of them visited and found and your account claiming a find for a cache that nobody associated with your account visited. Specifically, one member of the husband/wife team actually visited the location and found the cache.

The team account's finds represent caches that at least one of them has found. The finds don't represent the finds of either the husband or wife but rather of the team. If a husband claimed he had found Cache X (which only his wife had found), then he'd be wrong. But if that husband claimed his team found Cache X, then he'd be correct. If my team scores a touchdown while I sat on the bench, then I can claim my team scored. If I claimed I had scored that touchdown, however, then I'd be wrong.

I am adding a NOTE to the cache log if they find it or DNF it. I feel part of the hunt...just not there for the kill.

That's what I might do, too. I've helped a far away friend solve a puzzle cache that was local to her. But when she went and found the cache container, I didn't claim a smiley for that cache. Instead, I logged an online note explaining how much I enjoyed helping solve the puzzle.

As MissJenn noted later in that previous thread:

I remain surprised at how complicated some people think this issue is. It's not complicated.

1. Coordinates are posted.
  2. You go here.

Ok..lets put this thread to bed.

As I said...my gut says I wasn't going to log but thought it was an interesting question. I am logging as a note since it was fun to co-pilot newbies. Thanks for teaching me to put my phone in airplane mode...I learned something cool today.

Thanks for the Sat morning banter.

As I said...my gut says I wasn't going to log but thought it was an interesting question. I am logging as a note since it was fun to co-pilot newbies. Thanks for teaching me to put my phone in airplane mode...I learned something cool today.

Wait, DID THEY FIND THE CACHE? That's what I've been waiting for. Did I miss that somewhere?

In my opinion If you don't have the cache in hand you can't log it as a find.

What was the difficulty and Terran rating on the tree cache? If you didn't actually climb the tree and retrieve the cache you really didn't earn whatever the cache rating was. To some people this would mean very little and for most it would mean even less. The beauty of this game is you can play it any way you want to. For me it's all about retrieving the cache and signing the log.

Really? I've logged finds on a number of caches that I never actually touched. Sometimes, I was even the first person to spot the cache. Often, the last person spot the cache retrieves it, passes the log around (or signs everyone's names for them, or signs an informal team name on everyone's behalf), and then replaces the cache. In most cases, I think it's important for the person who retrieved the cache to be the person to replace it, just to minimize cache migration. But I don't see the point of having everyone in the group touch the cache.

What was the difficulty and Terran rating on the tree cache? If you didn't actually climb the tree and retrieve the cache you really didn't earn whatever the cache rating was.
That may be the difference. I don't consider the cache ratings (difficulty, terrain, size, attributes, whatever) to be something that the finder "earns". These ratings are just a way for the CO to communicate the general nature of the cache experience to potential seekers. That way, others can seek caches that they're more likely to enjoy.
Really? I've logged finds on a number of caches that I never actually touched. Sometimes, I was even the first person to spot the cache. Often, the last person spot the cache retrieves it, passes the log around (or signs everyone's names for them, or signs an informal team name on everyone's behalf), and then replaces the cache. In most cases, I think it's important for the person who retrieved the cache to be the person to replace it, just to minimize cache migration. But I don't see the point of having everyone in the group touch the cache.

I've done the same and seen lots of others do it. I just can't see a cache owner deleting a log when more than one cacher searched for the cache and one of them signed the log for everyone in most cases. However, when a cache owner hides a cache high up in a tree, it should be pretty obvious that the intent of the cache owner is to create a cache that requires climbing the tree.

Then after you tell the forum that, you go and log it as found anyway, and like you found it yourself? :rolleyes:

I'm certain you could also borrow a friends car with a handicapped plate and go park in any handicapped parking area you wanted to. If it was a special event where finding a spot was impossible, it would be very convieient. No parking attendant or police officer would give you a ticket, even if you got out and jogged around the block several times. That still doesn't mean that you should do it, even if you have your friend on the phone guiding you to a spot. Just because you can get away with something doesn't mean that you should. The new cachers just learned to do something that most would consider cheesy.

There is a huge difference between being at GZ and having someone else grab a cache, and being on the phone with someone in another country while they find it.

Edited by 4wheelin_fool

Then after you tell the forum that, you go and log it as found anyway, and like you found it yourself? :rolleyes:

Really, you logged a find on this?

Wicked, wicked lame.gif!

I'm certain you could also borrow a friends car with a handicapped plate and go park in any handicapped parking area you wanted to. If it was a special event where finding a spot was impossible, it would be very convieient. No parking attendant or police officer would give you a ticket, even if you got out and jogged around the block several times. That still doesn't mean that you should do it, even if you have your friend on the phone guiding you to a spot. Just because you can get away with something doesn't mean that you should. The new cachers just learned to do something that most would consider cheesy.

There is a huge difference between being at GZ and having someone else grab a cache, and being on the phone with someone in another country while they find it.

I don't think he's coming back anyways. But perhaps, their whole time here in the thread, they neglected to mention they are a team, and the "friend" doesn't have an account? In other words, a member of the team?

:DFound It!

Found it along with a chicken and a rooster and iguanas! No log was in the cache or it was overlooked. Photos were sent to cache owner and it was verified.

Great hide!!!

We know you didn't 'find' it since you weren't there. So, how did you pass those pictures off to the CO as being yours?

Do you have some kind of drone or something? Maybe your 'rooster' has a webcam strapped to it?

BTW, how much do you cheat at golf?

golf-cheater-smiley-emoticon.gif

Thanks for discussion...yeah I am not going to sign (that is what my gut was feeling before I even posted it)...

- snip -

Even though I am not loging..it is still a rush for me.

I am not signing it..as I will add a note after their find or dnf.

As I said...my gut says I wasn't going to log but thought it was an interesting question. I am logging as a note since it was fun to co-pilot newbies.

- Fine, but if you ever want to be taken seriously in the future...

Thanks for discussion...yeah I am not going to sign (that is what my gut was feeling before I even posted it)...

- snip -

Even though I am not loging..it is still a rush for me.

I am not signing it..as I will add a note after their find or dnf.

As I said...my gut says I wasn't going to log but thought it was an interesting question. I am logging as a note since it was fun to co-pilot newbies.

- Fine, but if you ever want to be taken seriously in the future...

Maybe they just pushed the wrong option by accident? :unsure:

Found it along with a chicken and a rooster and iguanas! No log was in the cache or it was overlooked. Photos were sent to cache owner and it was verified.

Great hide!!!

We know you didn't 'find' it since you weren't there. So, how did you pass those pictures off to the CO as being yours?

Do you have some kind of drone or something? Maybe your 'rooster' has a webcam strapped to it?

It can probably be counted as a "joint find", as after smoking a marijuana cigarette there probably are plenty of those who would think that logging a find in a country that they never visited would be acceptable. :P

Edited by 4wheelin_fool

Great hide!!!

TeamWeis was FTF on that cayman cache 9 Nov, then on 10 Nov......

2.png Found it 11/10/2013 FTF 5:40.

Thanks for all the hides in the area!!!

For extra credit, I am thankful for my church. Beyond the friendships, the great messages and the youth programs it has filled the spiritual void, built stronger relationships at home and put me on a path of salvation.

No mention of the 'trip' to the islands.

Is that Limburger, or good old Wisconsin Cheddar?

Oh. You thought we would all go to sleep and not check. Everyone here pretty much told you it would be a bad idea to log that cache as found.

...it was fun to co-pilot newbies.

Team accounts are where folks, typically a family or significant other unit, log cache finds under one account. The account find total represents the team effort - they do not log team finds on individual accounts. These teams typically do not enlist one-off efforts where a temporary member actually finds the cache.

Just looked at his find log which he's made to read like he found the cache himself. Maybe he did decide to make a quick jaunt over there this weekend and find the cache. If not, then i would like to take this time to nominate this for the LGAY (Lamest Geocaching Action of the Year) award. :rolleyes: