Streaks starting August 1st are now at 100 days!

Groundspeak's "31 Days of Geocaching" challenge jumpstarted my interest to get out and about in my local area. I started finding a cache every day, beginning August 1st. November 8th marks day 100 for anyone who started their streak on the same day. Congrats to you all!

I had never done a streak before. I thought it would become a chore, and I said I'd stop when it wasn't fun anymore. It's still fun.

I had quite an adventure at today's cache, as recounted in my log. I've never lost my GPS and driven away before, so today was a day of firsts for that reason, too!

Any other stories from 100 day streakers?

Groundspeak's "31 Days of Geocaching" challenge jumpstarted my interest to get out and about in my local area. I started finding a cache every day, beginning August 1st. November 8th marks day 100 for anyone who started their streak on the same day.

I do not have a story to contribute. I neither have an interest into streaking nor do I have have the required stamina and time for it.

I have however two questions for you and other 100 or more day streakers.

Do you have an estimate on the number of overall addititional miles you had to invest in order to be able to find a cache each day in comparison to visiting the same caches over time (e.g. pick up all 5 unfound ones which are close to each other within the same day)? I'm just curious.

Did you never had the situation that you would have preferred not to have to for a cache that particular day? I go caching to be physically more active. When it is raining cats and dogs and is foggy like today I would not want to go for a bicycle trip and drive ins done by car are not attractive to me and I would not find the motivation to get into my car and drive at least 20 miles (and 20 miles back) to an unfound cache just for the sake of finding a cache each its day and without being able to profit from the visit to that area in other ways.

I know that quite a number of cachers in my country that have a longer streak are cheating from time to time, but I assume that you do are honest with the logging dates. So that's why I ask these questions to you. I hope you do not regard them as off-topic. They fit to the headline in any case.

Cezanne

Do you have an estimate on the number of overall addititional miles you had to invest in order to be able to find a cache each day in comparison to visiting the same caches over time (e.g. pick up all 5 unfound ones which are close to each other within the same day)? I'm just curious.

If you are "lucky" enough to be near a long geotrail that's on your way to work, then you could pick one off each day and not have many additional miles added. The long time cachers that I know of locally that have continued streaking (the kind with clothes on) end up driving an extra 10 miles or more to find a cache. The newer cachers don't have nearly the same sort of trouble keeping a streak up.

I have seen a few cachers who will go find a dozen caches on a trail on the same day, and then log them serially over 12 days. We laugh about them on facebook, so I don't know who they think they are fooling.

It was fairly easy for me to find caches on my way home from work (three major commuter routes take me through different commercial districts on the way home) or on my way to or from my church (I go there 2 or 3 days each week). I hadn't been actively geocaching locally for a long time, so there were many caches to find. If I was in a hurry, I would choose one that was near a grocery store, a gas station or other store that I needed to visit anyways. If I had time, I would find a cache in a park on the way home or within walking distance of my office. Even after streaking for 100 days, I still have more than 100 unfound caches within five miles of my home coordinates.

Did you never had the situation that you would have preferred not to have to for a cache that particular day? I go caching to be physically more active. When it is raining cats and dogs and is foggy like today I would not want to go for a bicycle trip and drive ins done by car are not attractive to me and I would not find the motivation to get into my car and drive at least 20 miles (and 20 miles back) to an unfound cache just for the sake of finding a cache each its day and without being able to profit from the visit to that area in other ways.

Every cache can be a good cache if you choose to make it so. On a busy day, or if it was dark, I'd have more fun finding one of the lamp post caches or guardrail caches that I'd been driving past for years. If it was a nice day I would go to a park. If it was a weekend or vacation day I would find whatever caches I felt like finding. If it was raining hard, I would wait until later in the day. I think there were only three days out of 100 when I found a cache while it was raining.

I know that quite a number of cachers in my country that have a longer streak are cheating from time to time, but I assume that you do are honest with the logging dates.

You're right, every cache was logged online for the same date when I signed the logbook. The closest I came to breaking my streak was when I found a cache 40 minutes before midnight. I intentionally avoided areas that had "power trails." I think the biggest string of caches was six that were hidden along a back road near my house. I visited eight different times to clear them out (one took me three tries).

Any other stories from 100 day streakers?
I started my current streak on August 1 too. My goal was to reach at least 100 days, which is the length of my longest slump. There have been a few late-night finds, and it has been harder to find my daily cache before sunset since DST ended. But I've been able to continue my streak without logging bogus dates or anything like that. (What would be the point of lying to myself like that?)

Generally, I've been making a point to find a nearby cache whenever I'm away from home, saving caches near home for days when I'm not traveling much. And there's one very near home that I've been saving (and am still saving) for a "rainy day" when I need a really quick find to continue the streak.

Do you have an estimate on the number of overall addititional miles you had to invest in order to be able to find a cache each day in comparison to visiting the same caches over time (e.g. pick up all 5 unfound ones which are close to each other within the same day)?
Most of my geocaching is opportunistic: I tend to find caches near places where I'm planning to go anyway. This streak hasn't changed that. There have been some days where I've driven a couple miles out of my way because that's what it took to get out of one of my "blast zones", but on the whole, my geocaching-specific driving is still a small part of my total mileage.

But saving caches for future trips to a location isn't a new thing for me. When I first started, I tended to find all the caches in an area that I had time for. But that tends to clean out an area pretty quickly, and then you have to wait for new caches to be listed before you can go geocaching in that area again. So now I usually find only one or two caches at a time, leaving the rest for later. This streak hasn't changed that either.

I completed my 100+ day streak a few years back but didn't see any date restrictions in the OP so I thought I'd chime in too. I didn't think my caching style nor working hours would allow me to ever cache 100 days in a row, but one Saturday in August 2010 I was on a caching run with three others who had already qualified for the challenge. So when we got to that cache I signed the log and posted a note to the page.

A few months later I decided that maybe I should go for this one since I was enjoying qualifying for other challenges. I wanted Day 100 to be meaningful so I decided to count backwards from Geowoodstock 9 which would be in Erie PA. I even had a special piece of swag I had collected months earlier that I wanted to give to the OP and knew he would be there. The holiday season is my busiest at work, so I decided to ignore most of the new published caches close to home and let the low hanging fruit pile up to make my streak a bit easier to accomplish. Little did I know in November how much I would need those caches come March-July.

During my 100 days I cached through two root canals, a minor surgical procedure (needed a ride to a cache after dinner), several 15 hour work days, and last but certainly not least the passing and funeral of my father in law. On some of the more difficult days I found a cache on the way to work in case I didn't get out before midnight. The funeral was out of town, so I was able to stop and find a roadside cache between the airport and my wife's hometown on my travel days without causing any issues. And on the actual day of the funeral I volunteered to go to the store to get some beverages and snacks for people who might drop by the house. Fortunately there was an LPC in the parking lot of the nearest grocery store.

I deliberately cached in different directions early on in the streak rather than clearing out any one side of town to keep my options varied. Since we were on the road for 2 more days after GW9 I went past day 100, and even found one more on Tuesday after our return pushing the counter to 103. Overall it was fun to have the goal to work towards and qualify for another challenge. But there were days when I didn't really feel like finding a cache, and I didn't want to have more of those days in the future so I broke the streak at 103. Day 100 was the best of them all when I got to hand off the "Beware of Attack Hamsters" sign to Lep. B)

If it was raining hard, I would wait until later in the day. I think there were only three days out of 100 when I found a cache while it was raining.

Thanks for your reply. I guess you have better weather [;]]. I did not streak, but I found caches on more than three days when it was raining during the last 100 days and today it was raining really hard the whole day (and still is raining at 11pm).

Actually, I also have quite a number of unfound caches in my 10 mile radius, but most of them are either unreachable for me from the terrain point of view or they involve puzzles that are I'm not motivated to solve or cannot solve even if I wanted or containers that I'm too clumsy to open. I think that this kind of situation is one of the reasons why a number of those local cachers who want to achieve longer streaks (for example for a challenge cache) are taking recourse to cheating.

Cezanne

The wife and i find our first cache on August 1st, not knowing about the31 days streak. So we found out while logging that day and thought, why not. So 101 days later, it does tend to be a pain some days. I work all over the metro atl area so it's usually no problem to find one if we have no planned time that day to go out. We do happen to find allot of p&g's, but try to hit the woods whenever we can, even if it's just a short hike. We have decided on a few occasions to just not get one that day and just get over it. But that just ends with me and our youngest daughter(10) looking like junkies by sundown and grabbing the flashlights. Other than that we have lots of great memories of lots of great places, met some great people on the trails, chased off two snakes, broken a park rule or two(they shouldn't close that early anyway) and dodged LEO pretty well. HAPPY CACHING EVERYONE

It was fairly easy for me to find caches on my way home from work (three major commuter routes take me through different commercial districts on the way home) or on my way to or from my church (I go there 2 or 3 days each week). I hadn't been actively geocaching locally for a long time, so there were many caches to find.

I haven't been actively caching locally in a long time either, but if I started working on a streak it would only take 3 weeks or so before I would have to start going 15-20 miles one way to find a single cache. I cleared out every cache within 16 miles a few years ago and that pretty much limited my geocaching to weekends. I guess there are a bunch of people here that are lucky enough to live in an area with enough caches along their regular commute to find one every day for an extended period but a lot of people don't.

I've put off local caching for a while, just to make this one simpler. The exception was when I was trying to get an FTF every month for 12 months. The 31 days started at a convenient time to do the 100 days challenge, so off I went.

This, like the FTF every month, was fun for me at first, then turned slightly into a burden. It was never really a bad thing, but there were some days I would rather have not gone caching. That said, doing and trying different things, even if they're not greatest thing in the end, is what keeps things interesting.

Yes, I forgot to stop after August. For day 100, I flew from NJ to Seattle to visit HQ. That really was just a coincidence, but it's a cool achievement.

I'm also trying to fill in missing calendar dates. November and December are my worst months, so I'm hoping to not stop until January. 1 good snowstorm and the streak is over.

It's fun to do, but some days it can be a pain. Still, it's fun so long live the streak!

Congrats to all the streakers out there! That can be tough and is quite a commitment. A hearty "WooHOO!!" to all of you. :lol:

My sweetie and I did a streak a few years ago. We started our streak in California and continued upon moving to Washington - that was incredibly helpful. By the time we were ready to stop we were driving 15 miles, each way, to grab our daily find. It definitely starts adding up in time and money. But, it was valuable to us in the fact that we enjoyed the regularly scheduled cache outings on beautiful days and the challenge of pushing ourselves to do something that was a bit outside of our comfort zone on the nasty days. We decided that after making it through the ice storm that year that we would not be streaking through another winter. We picked a day that felt good to us and stopped the next September. We have some fun memories of our streaking days.

Just another way to play this awesome game we all love. :)

Hi Jayme! It was extra fun caching with you and others in the Seattle area for three days of my current streak. Block Party and the Going Ape! mega-event -- now that is streaking in style!

Having a consecutive days streak feels like less of a "chore" when you do things like that. I keep it fun back here at home by logging challenge cache finals or by logging caches that help me qualify for challenge caches.

Hi Jayme! It was extra fun caching with you and others in the Seattle area for three days of my current streak. Block Party and the Going Ape! mega-event -- now that is streaking in style!

Having a consecutive days streak feels like less of a "chore" when you do things like that. I keep it fun back here at home by logging challenge cache finals or by logging caches that help me qualify for challenge caches.

Goodness, all this talk it making me a bit antsy. Pretty much the only caching I've done in the last several months was in Seattle and the Nevada trip. Granted, those were wonderful caching experiences, but they weren't "normal" caching, which I've really been missing lately. I want to just go out and cache.

Hot dang, DragonsWest - that's one fine streak you got yourself goin' there. Any advice for us newbies? Did you set little goals and then it just turned into a habit?

This is the first time I've been motivated to try for 100 days. Now I'm trying to decide when to stop. My next goals are "four straight months" and after that, to at least cache on the days needed to fill the gaps in my 366 day grid. Setting a goal like "three years without stopping" would be too daunting and might remove the current fun factor I'm feeling.

Hot dang, DragonsWest - that's one fine streak you got yourself goin' there. Any advice for us newbies? Did you set little goals and then it just turned into a habit?

This is the first time I've been motivated to try for 100 days. Now I'm trying to decide when to stop. My next goals are "four straight months" and after that, to at least cache on the days needed to fill the gaps in my 366 day grid. Setting a goal like "three years without stopping" would be too daunting and might remove the current fun factor I'm feeling.

The original plan was to hit 120 days. Then it just kept going. Eventually I learned to pick my daily finds carefully, not grabbing all the caches in close proximity to home. Venture further afield on weekends and holidays. A bit of planning goes into it, for certain. But it is a motivator. Gives me something to do each day besides the mundane drive to work and home. There are lean periods and the challenge of Daylight Savings Time changes - find them in the morning now, rather than evening.

Although I haven't started a daily streak, the August Challenge did motivate me to try to fill in my calendar. I now have August, September, and October complete and barring any unforeseen problems, will fill in November as well. A little unsure whether I will make it through December with the weather and the holidays, but it's something to work towards.

As of yesterday (we haven't left the house yet today), we are at 120 days and counting! Yesterday was tough. We were stuck updating 3 GPS's, and didn't get out until after dinner!

What helps us is being on a long road trip (going on 1.5 years!) through Canada and now back in the US.

We are just trying to do one every day until we can't.

WOW! DragonWest! You go man! We are working on the same goal! We were lucky to find out about the streak thing the first week we started geocaching. We liked the idea so didn't grab all the caches close to home or this fun part of the game (for us) would have been over quick. I work all over the place every day. Not just in one spot. Usually around 50 or more from home in all directions. I try to never get a cache close to home unless it is a FTF. That is the only part we feel bad about sometimes as we have many friends close to home and we often have to put off finding there new cool cache. I will just grab one near my job for that day either before work or right after or take a lunch break and go get one. I also work 6 days a week so that also helps. When I have my daughter on the other weekends we usually plan a trip to somewhere cool away from home to go geocaching for the day and that also leaves the ones near home free. She also lives far away so we can grab some near her house when I drop her off. So it really only leaves about 2 days a month I have to find one close to home to keep the streak going. We would never not find one in a day and lie about it. We are at 872 days so far. There was only one day that it felt like a chore to me as I was really, really sick and realized I needed a cache that day. Thought about giving it up but then also thought of all the fun we have with the streak and that would all be over if I didn't go find one. Luckily we had found a puzzle that required you to find 3 other caches to get the coords to the final. That CO decided to archive the puzzle and make them all traditional. So I had already found it for the puzzle so knew right where it was and just had to have someone give me a ride and I walked over and signed it.

That is a big part of what this game is for me that it breaks up my crazy work day to have to stop and find one. Not sure how anyone without a job like mine would keep it going as we sometimes get limited on the ones near our house even with this. Funny thing is sometimes I will be 50 miles from home and have some time for caching and think I better not find these as I need to save them for the streak.

Bumping my thread because today is DAY 200 for anyone who started a consecutive days caching streak on August 1st.

It's been a rough winter, and there's been several times when I've been grateful to find my second or third attempted park 'n grab after DNF'ing.

Still, the number of days when I've felt happy about the "31 Days of Geocaching" promotion far outweigh the times when I've asked myself "why am I doing this?"

Yesterday I found a cleverly hidden cache at a hilltop cemtery with an awesome view of the Ohio River valley. There were some great Civil War graves and a monument, plus a grave of someone who had been present at both the Boston Tea Party and the signing of the Declaration of Independence. The cache made my "Top 5% Greatest Cache Hunts" bookmark list. This cemetery is less than 15 miles away from home, but I'd never been there. I'd have had no reason to visit in February if it weren't for this crazy streak.

To all of you keeping up with your streaks, take heart! Spring will be here in a month or so.

Neat story about the cemetery, Lep.

Only half way on topic, talking about streaks - my last "streak" was somewhere in 2004 or 2006, and topped out at 7 days. I just realized that I finally broke that record last October, when we took our road trip down to Vegas and back. My longest streak is now 10 days! Woo, hoo! :D And what a great streak that was, too. Lots of cool places and lots of National Parks (and lots of cool people).

I am ready for spring. In the last two months, I've only found one cache and attended/hosted one event.

Edited by Ambrosia

We were in the midst of a 30 day streak when the 31 Days of Geocaching in August came about. SO, we are now at day 234!!!

For the most part, it has been easy. We cache as a team, so every night after dinner we head out to find one. Since we only started caching in March of 2013, we had numerous caches in our area from which to choose. I will say that it is getting harder and harder...and we are having to drive a little further out but , it keeps us off the couch and away from the TV!! :anitongue: Can't imagine how we would do a streak if we had already been caching for years though...everything around us would've already be cleared out! I admire those who have those 500 to 1000 days streaks! Kudos to them.

I had a 100 streak going, but I planned it out so it would end at the end of August, that way I wouldn't be forced to go out and do some geocaches in cold, cold, cold, weather. I have found most of the winter friendly caches that aren't 2 km < walks.

I know that one day in August, I DNF'd about five caches before I managed to find one.

I think I did about 102 days, then stopped cache entirely until the new year came. :laughing:

Thanks for bumping my thread, niraD! And thanks for the recognition, Jayme!

I'm going through withdrawal pains today because I'm stopping my streak after 366 days. I finished yesterday by finding a clever "fake birdhouse" cache with a drop-down secret compartment accessed by pulling on the perch. The cache was a few hundred feet down the trail past one of the oldest trees in my area, dated to 1598. I noticed the cache had a pile of favorite points when I searched nearby the banquet facility where I participated in a wedding rehearsal. (Being in the wedding party today will help distract me from the cache withdrawal shakes.) Had the birdhouse not been screwed into a live tree, it would've earned a favorite point from me for sure.

From my log:

Today marks the 366th consecutive day on which I've found a geocache. I made it through the polar vortex, business trips, personal emergencies, the flu, some thunderstorms, a lot of DNF's, and some times when I really didn't much feel like finding a geocache at the end of a long day. Along the way, I found around 850 caches in Illinois, Washington, Idaho, Montana, Arizona, Nevada, New York, West Virginia, North Carolina and Ohio -- in addition to cleaning out a lot of the caches in my home area.

I am looking forward to NOT finding a cache tomorrow, for the first time in a year. The streak inspired by the "31 Days of Geocaching" promotion last August comes to an end as another August begins.

I'm going through withdrawal pains today because I'm stopping my streak after 366 days. I finished yesterday by finding a clever "fake birdhouse" cache with a drop-down secret compartment accessed by pulling on the perch. The cache was a few hundred feet down the trail past one of the oldest trees in my area, dated to 1598. I noticed the cache had a pile of favorite points when I searched nearby the banquet facility where I participated in a wedding rehearsal. (Being in the wedding party today will help distract me from the cache withdrawal shakes.) Had the birdhouse not been screwed into a live tree, it would've earned a favorite point from me for sure.

From my log:

Today marks the 366th consecutive day on which I've found a geocache. I made it through the polar vortex, business trips, personal emergencies, the flu, some thunderstorms, a lot of DNF's, and some times when I really didn't much feel like finding a geocache at the end of a long day. Along the way, I found around 850 caches in Illinois, Washington, Idaho, Montana, Arizona, Nevada, New York, West Virginia, North Carolina and Ohio -- in addition to cleaning out a lot of the caches in my home area.

I am looking forward to NOT finding a cache tomorrow, for the first time in a year. The streak inspired by the "31 Days of Geocaching" promotion last August comes to an end as another August begins.

But the real question is would it have earned another type of log from your alter ego caching partner?

From my log:

The cache had a serious guidelines violation. To merely not give it a favorite point because of that is insufficient. I would strongly recommend that you either post an NA, or report it to the reviewer that published the cache and let him deal with it. We had an entire city here that refused to allow geocaches in any of its parks for about two years because of exactly that violation.

I Believe The Leprechauns should have also posted a NA log, or at least sent a PM to the Reviewer who published that cache. Guideline violations like that can have bad effects on geocaching in that area, if the wrong person sees a geocache screwed into a tree.