5,000th Day of Geocaching

DragonsWest

A while back I was looking at a local cacher's streak ending at 3,700+ days and got to wondering how many days of all days since the first hide that would be. Well, turns out we'll hit 5,000 days of Geocaching on January 9th. I've got a local event planned. Curious if any others are interested in getting this going as a multi-event? Short notice, I know, but I didn't think much about it until late September.

I have asked if a Souvenir could be handed out that day, for anyone making a find. Last I heard it was handed off to Groundspeak Marketing (why them?) Anywho, it's about as good as we'll get now that the 9-9-9, 10-10-10, 11-11-11 & 12-12-12 thing has run its course.

Is there really no interest in this? I'm sincerely perplexed. Seems like a milestone of sorts. I often felt there were people just itching for a reason to hold events.

I can only tell you that for me it does not feel like a milestone and even if that were differently, I would not see it as a reason for a local event. The very first cache in my area has been hidden in July 2002 and I found my first geocache in September 2002 (in Germany and not at home). I'm slightly over 4000 days into geocaching right now and the typical participants of events in my area are into geocaching for much shorter. I see no reason to celebrate in my area that someone in the US has hidden a geocaching in May 2000 and I also see no reason for a souvenir. This site did not exist when Dave Ulmer has hidden his cache.

Cezanne

Well, I can see how you feel, but generally I figured Geocachers enjoy milestones, strange date alignments (8-8-8,9-9-9, etc) and figured, though the 1,000th through 4,000th weren't observed, the 5,000th as a pretty novel thing, considering we've run out after 12-12-12 and there's not much else to base things on.

I only found out about this today. Too bad there's not an event anywhere near me. But I too have wondered if there would be a Souvenir Graphic, it really seems like the kind of thing they would do, and then if so, would it only be for attending an event, or anyone making a find on that day.

I'll be making a find on that day anyhow.

Isn't this thing only on Monday, and don't events need to be listed like 30 days ahead of time?

No, 14 days. :)

January 9th is a full 31+ days away (as of this writing) ample time to get a listing cobbled together and approved. Git on it! :lol:

Doesn't have to be elaborate, you could get together for Pizza, donuts or even Pie

SweetPieAndPie.jpg

Edited by DragonsWest

Isn't this thing only on Monday, and don't events need to be listed like 30 days ahead of time?

No, 14 days. :)

January 9th is a full 31+ days away (as of this writing) ample time to get a listing cobbled together and approved. Git on it! :lol:

Doesn't have to be elaborate, you could get together for Pizza, donuts or even Pie

SweetPieAndPie.jpg

While i'm not interested that much in the 5000 day mark, i would definitely have fun attending an event if a food fight was included in the festivities,,, nyuk nyuk nyuk! :P

I don't want to be a smart aleck or anything, but I think this idea is going over about as well as Waymarking. :ph34r:

Are there any events besides yours? Did you hear back from HQ on the Souvie?

I see an event in San Diego as well as one in the Seattle area (Everett, I think)

I have to check my other email when I get home to see about souvenir status.

I only noticed the count approaching 5000 as local cacher Kablooey was ending his streak of at least one cache a day and was over 4000. Out of curiosity I looked to see how long it had been since Ulmer proclaimed the first Stash. As a percentage of total days geocaching existed it was pretty impressive.

The next milestone, 6000, won't happen until Oct 5, 2016. So it's a bit of a wait if I didn't do something.

Besides 5000 is such a nice round number and for a game where "it's not about the numbers" it's ... er ... um ...

HEY LOOK! It's Bill the Cat!

bill.jpg

I don't want to be a smart aleck or anything, but I think this idea is going over about as well as Waymarking. :ph34r:

Are there any events besides yours? Did you hear back from HQ on the Souvie?

I see an event in San Diego as well as one in the Seattle area (Everett, I think)

I have to check my other email when I get home to see about souvenir status.

If they give you a souvenir, you'll go from 5 days of no one replying to your OP, to there being hundreds of events worldwide. If they don't give you one, you'll end up with the 3 events you mention.

This is pretty much what the Geocaching in Space guy did, started a thread just like this. And The Frog took the ball and ran with it.

Umm, I may have discovered the reason behind the apathy for this idea. Or maybe it's just apathy. I'm going to guess you didn't know (And I only found out the other day) that the next day, January 10th, is the 10th Birthday of Earthcaching, and there are (dozens currently) of events being held on Friday, January 10th all over the world. Check out Earthcache.org

I pre-date earthcaches (as do you), and never mind that they weren't open for the General Geocaching Populace to create them for over a year after that. Let them have their fun. :lol:

Of course! There aren't any EC birthday events on the west coast. Why would there be?

:lol:

Yeah...

I guess there's still time for a few, but since it's a Friday, might be a lot of evening meets.

The closest to me (now) in the next State, is only 200 miles away.

Let's see... 12 hours at work, then drive 400 miles...

Hmmm, Maybe I'll wait a bit.

Is there really no interest in this? I'm sincerely perplexed. Seems like a milestone of sorts. I often felt there were people just itching for a reason to hold events.

Not really. Partially because it serves Groundspeak where as other things (like the 12-12-12 date) was more universal and extended to folks past the geocaching world.

Also...holiday season. Hard to get enthusiasm up for anything right now that requires planning.

Not really. Partially because it serves Groundspeak where as other things (like the 12-12-12 date) was more universal and extended to folks past the geocaching world.

Also...holiday season. Hard to get enthusiasm up for anything right now that requires planning.

I suggest you look back. 12-12-12 falling right on the cusp of the Holiday Season and turnout was tremendous. I know I was busy as a beaver in a toothpick factory, as I was hosting the local 12-12-12 event (the previous party moved without telling anyone) I picked up the ball and added it to the chaos of my existing seasonal plans. It was well attended and by most accounts was a very positive experience for all present, excepting those who missed out one of the 50 geocoins I was able to foot for.

I suggest you look back. 12-12-12 falling right on the cusp of the Holiday Season and turnout was tremendous. I know I was busy as a beaver in a toothpick factory, as I was hosting the local 12-12-12 event (the previous party moved without telling anyone) I picked up the ball and added it to the chaos of my existing seasonal plans. It was well attended and by most accounts was a very positive experience for all present, excepting those who missed out one of the 50 geocoins I was able to foot for.

But again....it was something that was popular across the social media world. From 4square to twitter were all fired up with various bits about it. 5000 days is exclusive to GS. I'm not saying it isn't neat, but I doubt it'll have the fervor, and Groundspeak seems rather quiet on the matter.

Also...12-12-12 was the last of a ten year phenomena.

But again....it was something that was popular across the social media world. From 4square to twitter were all fired up with various bits about it. 5000 days is exclusive to GS. I'm not saying it isn't neat, but I doubt it'll have the fervor, and Groundspeak seems rather quiet on the matter.

Also...12-12-12 was the last of a ten year phenomena.

6000 days doesn't come along until October 2016. Seems like we're running scarce for milestones.

This is pretty much what the Geocaching in Space guy did, started a thread just like this. And The Frog took the ball and ran with it.

You mean the Space Cadet Guy started a dozen threads. Maybe that's the secret - flood the forums with slightly different threads on the topic. :rolleyes:

No dice. The only threads are here and in the GeoCoin forum (I had some coins made for the local event.) I've asked, I haven't seen any indication HQ is enthusiastic about it.

There does appear to be some scuttlebutt about of an Earthcache 10 Year Anniversary celebration, but the events are very few that I can see, and it is rumored to be gaining a souvenir. The nearest event observing 10 Years of Earthcaching, on the 10th (the next day) is in Nebraska (two of them in that state, nothing closer to California.)

PodCacher is happy to mention it, also clued me in to a couple more events. I've started an bookmark list of 5000 Days Of Geocaching events Let me know of any more people have published.

You can add 5000 Days of Geocaching in Arizona to the list.

Done!

I HAD to call mine 5K days, because of that, it didn't show up on a search for 5,000 :( Add Pennsylvania to the list.

http://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC4VHCQ