Geocaching event logbook

-CJ-

In one of threads I read

Most events Ive been to have a log book to sign to verify that you were there

At one of my last events (that I organized) a couple of people approached me with a question if I had a logbook to sign. I said no (I actually prepared an event page at the site, a tour in the city and three puzzle caches in the area but didn't think about any special logbook).

What is your advice whether I should prepare such logbooks for my events or not? In what situations do you believe they are valuable? If you have seen such logbooks at events earlier in your geocaching life would you please describe how it was organized at whole? Was is just a common logbook where people wrote their nicknames and left it to the person who hold the event? Or was a special "event" cache (with a container) placed to keep this logbook? If it was a large event were there people who didn't sign the logbook (e.g. didn't pay enough attention)?

For our perso al logbook we just use a notebook.

Some people have even customized them with covers that have their geocaching name, and avatar. They usually have one or two pages per event. Some keep them for the memories, some keep them so they only have to buy one logbook. The organizer is responsible for the logbook.

As a group we have a log book as well. It was made with a map of the city, and the club logo on the covers, and has a TB In it to discover. The cacher who made it also made a fabric cover that also holds prize tickets, pens and such.

The logbook stays at the event not in a special "cache" as you put it. It should probably be near the entrance, head table, or passed around when everyone has arrived. To have it hidden elsewhere is restricting people from signing it, which is unfair. They attended the event they should be able to log it. If they want to find a cache, they'll find one before or after the event.

To not have a logbook means anyone can log it online, and you really don't have proof they weren't there. Maybe smaller events, you'll remember everyone, but get more than a few people, and you can't be sure.

As for large events- the ones I have been to had the logbook with the people handing out prize tickets, and it's location was announced- "for those who haven't signed the logbook, it's with TDM22, in the green shirt to my right!"

I've never seen an actual book at an event. A few years ago, log sheets started showing up at events, usually at the Travel Bug table, along with blank name tag labels and a Sharpie.

Note that a log book/sheet is not required for an event and per the guidelines, the only requirement to post an Attended log online, is that you attended the event. You cannot delete logs for those that attended but did not sign the book/sheet.

Event Cache Logging Guidelines

An event cache can be logged online if the cacher has attended the event. Event cache owners can request that cachers sign a logbook, but this is optional and cannot be a requirement for logging an event cache.

I don't have an event logbook at my events, generally, though I have had some oddball items around as logs. Whether people sign them or not is up to them.

You cannot use one to deny event "attended" logs.

The Mega event guidelines used to ask that a log be signed for the first iteration of the event, to verify sufficient attendance, but that is no longer a requirement.

We've used the same logbook for all of our events since 2007. OK, we've only hosted 10 so far, but still, we had the log there. We made it into a travel bug to give folks something to discover and so we have a map of all of the events we've hosted.

I like going back through it to see caching friends from places we no longer live. To date my favorite is from a cacher we only met once, but he brought a wax seal and signed the book with it.

I have a hardoer journal I got a a bookstore that I use as my logbook for every event I host. I enjoy going back and looking at the signatures and remembering first meetings, last meetings, and good times. At every event I always put the book in a prominent place with a sign. Not everyone signs in, but most do. Check out my "Caching in Space" event from last night to see a pic of the logbook setup. It's fairly typical for all of my events.

Many different reasons. Thank you all for sharing your experience with me.

From what I heard I think the most valuable even for small events is probably a logbook as a way of keeping of records of all previous events. I think I'm among those who used to organize events on a regular basis so I will probably think about such logbook.

Yesterday we also hold a Geocaching in Space Event here in Moscow. No logbook was introduced however.

For bigger events (like the annual CITO event we used to hold nearby Moscow) the logbook would be even a better idea. We had to make records of attendees, both for reasons of safety and accounting (we collect a small fee to cover our CITO expenses). I think it will not be a problem to turn this into a logbook.