12 Days of Christmas Challenge

HikingSeal

Alright fellow cachers, I need some help on a challenge. I am working on a 12 days of Christmas Challenge, need to find caches with the gifts my true love gave. I'm doing fine on the first 11 days. However, the 12th day is impossible. Out of Utah's (my home state) nearly 28,000 caches four have a form of the word drum in the name. I need 12. This is without a doubt the toughest "name" challenge I've tackled.

Here's where you can help. I travel a lot for business. I've begun looking in the areas I travel for caches named drum. Given the new search restrictions, it's a little tough. I ask that anyone who reads this does a search of their area and posts a reply with the GC# of any cache they find that has a form of the word drum in the name (e.g., drum, drummer, drumming, drummed, etc.)

I'll collect all the suggestions into a GSAK database that I can refer to as I travel.

Thanks a bunch for the help!

Chris

aka Hiking Seal

Sorry for the multiple posts. Every time I tried to post I received an internal server error 500 so I kept trying. Guess it went through sometimes. Please use this one for replies as I can't find a way to delete the duplicates. Thanks!

P.S. If any Admin sees this, it would be great if you could delete the two duplicates. Thanks!

I have no help with your question, but if you double, or triple post, you can always hit the report button on the extra/s. A mod will get the message, and lock, merge, or make the extra threads disappear in pink smoke- that is to say delete them. And I have already reported the other two.

Just thought of something. Google the words "geocache" "drum" and maybe even the place you are travelling to.

I have no help with your question, but if you double, or triple post, you can always hit the report button on the extra/s. A mod will get the message, and lock, merge, or make the extra threads disappear in pink smoke- that is to say delete them. And I have already reported the other two.

Just thought of something. Google the words "geocache" "drum" and maybe even the place you are travelling to.

Yep, right around 12:10 I started getting blank pages in Firefox and Server 500 errors in IE.

At any rate, these are in California. I'm assuming that conundrum doesn't count.

GCRPDC T Twelve Drummers Drumming

GC3RJBM T PASSEO BLUE DRUM

GC46VY0 T KZ-Gum Drum

GC1JNR4 U 12 Days of Caching : 12 Drummers Drumming

GC2R310 T Inning #1: Bang the Drum Slowly

GC20B3E T IHO: CrazyDrumminFool

GC231KP T Bang a Drum

GC340H2 U The Drums Will Shake the Castle Wall...

GC4JE18 T Beating Drums

GC1RW45 T Rusted Drum

GC2A7C5 T Bang The Drum Slowly

GC2QXFB T Black Diamond Drumming Mine

GC1WQ6G T Drums>>Space>>Drums (4442 GARCIA)

GC13M6T T Bang on the Drum

GC33ZJA T Drum Waterfall

GC2HYYN U Drum Signal

Here's where you can help. I travel a lot for business. I've begun looking in the areas I travel for caches named drum. Given the new search restrictions, it's a little tough. I ask that anyone who reads this does a search of their area and posts a reply with the GC# of any cache they find that has a form of the word drum in the name (e.g., drum, drummer, drumming, drummed, etc.)

I have a silly question. Do you want to restrict yourself to caches where the "drum" comes from the English word "drum"? If not, you would have further options in countries with another language, e.g. "drum" is short for "darum" (therefore) in German and so you can find caches with "Drum" in the name over there. There is also the Romanian "drumul".

Or even the word "drumlin" (same word in English and German) which occurs in caches around the world.

In any case the search function over at http://project-gc.com/ is better than the one at geocaching.com and might help you to search for what you need more easily restricted to areas than it works with google.

Cezanne

Edited by cezanne

MartyBartfast thanks for the thought but that will only work if I want the word drum anywhere on a page on the GC site. I need to isolate to cache names which html can't differentiate from the rest of the text on a page.

Cezanne that's a thought. I was aware they'd added that but had not at a use for it at the time. I'll have to play with it.

For those who posted caches, THANKS!

Also, you have to decide if you are going to allow the word drum to appear in a word, like "conundrum". I have found many caches with the word conundrum. The only non-conundrum I have found in my finds is

Boom Boom Drummed the Emu, in Washington

http://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC1127W_boom-boom-drummed-the-emu?guid=a722a8c0-259d-40fb-94b9-544afbc54946

Either way, once a challenge is created, am sure someone will list a "drum" cache in the area, whether you want that or not.

Cezanne that's a thought. I was aware they'd added that but had not at a use for it at the time. I'll have to play with it.

I tested it a while ago and there are more options that Groundspeak ever has offered and works fine.

For example you can enter

Germany drum

in the search field for the wildcard search and then you will get all caches in Germany where drum appears in the cache name or in the name of the cache hider.

You can do the same separately for whatever country (state in the US) you wish. And you also could search only for a specific cache type, e.g. only traditionals.

Cezanne

Edited by cezanne

Cezanne that's cool! I hadn't used the search function of project-gc at all. When you first brought it, up I thought you were talking about the new challenge checkers under tools.

The only problem I'm hitting is it brings up active and archived caches (who knew this was a way to search for archived caches?!). Obviously for my purpose I want only active. I haven't had success in excluding the archived via trial and error. Any idea on what to add to the search "drum* United States" to get rid of the archived?

What have I learned from this exercise so far? There are not a heck of a lot of caches out there with drum in the name. I only need 12!

Again thanks to all who have added to the list!

I have been playing around with the different search methods suggested. Not perfect yet so I welcome some feedback to smooth out the bumps.

So far project-gc has been the best. The problem there is the archived caches as I mentioned before and it also pulls caches that have an owner with drum in the name. Needles to say I max out the allowed 500 returned items very quickly and have few caches to show for it.

I have also tried different methods with google

site:www.geocaching.com intitle:drum

gets me a lot of trackable pages. If I change the site to

site:www.geocaching.com/geocache intitle:drum

I start pulling a lot of archived caches again and Google starts thinking I'm a bot and won't give me all the results.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

So far project-gc has been the best. The problem there is the archived caches as I mentioned before and it also pulls caches that have an owner with drum in the name. Needles to say I max out the allowed 500 returned items very quickly and have few caches to show for it.

If you add the area, you will not get 500 returned items so quickly.

E.g.

California drum?

leads only to 39 hits. (The archived ones are crossed out anyway and thus can be seen quickly).

Google will only return caches that are not archived, but I prefer the search at project-gc.

I do not know an option to switch off the archived ones. You could ask the person behind project-gc if he could add an option.

Cezanne

Marty again the way you suggest doing the search will return every page that includes the characters drum. What I learned since your post was to limit the search to the meta tag title by using intitle:drum

Cezzanne, actually Google does return archived caches AND trackables that have drum in the name. I've tried limiting the area. Essentially what I think I hear is that I have no choice but to run a search for each of the 50 states. I agree project-gc in better.