My Assisted Waymarks

I've learned so much in the few years that I've been playing this game with all of you, but there is still one thing that I just don't get. OK, stop laughing! Yes, I'll admit it, there is definitely more than one thing that I still don't get, but I only want to address one thing here.

On the right side of the Waymarking screen, under the "Quick Searches" section, the last link in the "Waymarking Searches" section is a link that reads, "My Assisted Waymarks". What exactly does this mean, why is it here, and how exactly does someone "assist" a waymark?

Any insights?

I've learned so much in the few years that I've been playing this game with all of you, but there is still one thing that I just don't get. OK, stop laughing! Yes, I'll admit it, there is definitely more than one thing that I still don't get, but I only want to address one thing here.

On the right side of the Waymarking screen, under the "Quick Searches" section, the last link in the "Waymarking Searches" section is a link that reads, "My Assisted Waymarks". What exactly does this mean, why is it here, and how exactly does someone "assist" a waymark?

Any insights?

Yes, this is interesting feature, that I discovered only accidentally and was very surprised :yikes:

1. I created a waymark and sent it for review to Human Errors category

2. It was rejected

3. I don't even know why I decided to edit this (rejected) waymark and spotted, there is an option to change its category

4. But I didn't know what other category to choose, so I left there "no category"

5. Once I proceeded to Preview and Submit page, this message popped up on the top (which I haven't read properly that time, overlooked and simply submitted uncategorized thing)

e680b542-5db7-4152-9928-dcfeab740098.png

6. waymark has been saved as uncategorized one

7. ... and after several months I've recieved notification, that it has been categorized and posted by someone else! :blink:

8. so it is HIS waymark now, and I have it in "My Assisted Waymarks" :laughing:

It is very interesting cooperation feature of the site. I like it. In the link above it (Newest Uncategorized Waymarks) you can see list of those "on the bench", which you can pick and finish them. For "starter" of that waymark it will be his "assisted waymark" after publish.

I believe, in a nutshell, assisted waymarks are those that you submitted to Uncategorized Waymarks, someone categorized them, they were published, and therefore you get credit for an "assist."

Uncategorized Waymarks are interesting .. obviously used by some waymarkers to draft their waymarks for future planned or potential categories. Or rejected ones, saved "on the bench". Maybe I'll try to finish some of them to get credit for waymark posted in countries where I'll never get to.

I always thought the original idea of uncategorized waymarks is quite pointless. Finding a category usually is not the hardest task.

Some waymarkers have developed new uses. When you plan to cross-post a location to different categories, you can create an uncategorized waymark with another account (that's important) and then categorize it several times with your main account. Not as elegant as real cloning, but it can save time.

And there are examples where travelling waymarkers have created uncategorized waymark valid for rare local categories for their friends back home. Like a holiday souvenir you bring back.

Well, that explains why I had no idea how Assisted Waymarks work. I've never posted an Uncategorized Waymark. I guess I've never seen the point - for me, either it fits a category or it doesn't. When I do get a submission declined, I've always felt I had two courses of action - I submit it in a different category or I delete it. More times than not, if it fits in another category, the Reviewer will suggest the appropriate category. Maybe next time I'll have a third option - submit it as an Uncategorized Waymark instead of deleting it and hope that someone else sees where it might fit, or how to modify it to make it fit.

I've never seen anything that explained it on the website or as a forum topic. Thanks for the feedback, it was truly enlightening.

Edited by Chasing Blue Sky

A resason I might put an declined into uncategorized. Perhaps I was travelling when I took the pictures, and came home to write it up and realized I was missing a photo. If I put it up on uncategorized someone else who had a picture coupld finish it up.

My favorite use for uncategorized, I see a lot of things that are waymarkable, but I just don't have the time to type in the words from historical markers. I can put the photo and coordinates, and someone who would like to get something in that category could finsih it up. The goal is that the category get closer to having a complete inventory in that subject, if I can help a little, I will.