Christmas!

:anitongue: Christmas cache ideas? Christmas event ideas? :shocked:

I have an idea- how about full sentances? Do you have an idea? Do you want an idea you can use? Are you just curious of what others have done?

Not the best way I could have put this. I probably came across of a [jerk] there- I do apologize.

Edited by Keystone
removed potty language from nice apology

:anitongue: Christmas cache ideas? Christmas event ideas? :shocked:

I have an idea- how about full sentances? Do you have an idea? Do you want an idea you can use? Are you just curious of what others have done?

All of the above, we might place a Christmas cache, one was done it Camborne Ding Dong Merrily On High (http://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC4303Z_ding-dong-merrily-on-high) I would like to know what you think about them and any ideas if I make one on what you might like.

I've found a few Christmas-themed caches. Other than the request to trade Christmas ornaments and other Christmas items, they weren't very different from any other caches.

I've attended a couple Christmas-themed events. One was a flashmob event where we converged on a central location at a mall and sang "Santa Claus is Coming to Town". That one could have used more planning or rehearsal or something. It was fun, but on the whole, it wasn't a very good performance.

Another was an event that included a white-elephant gift exchange. That dragged on too long (too many people, people got bored and started talking, people couldn't hear the next number being called, etc.), and the gifts were mostly all the same (cache containers, trackables, and a few TOTT).

Christmas cache ideas? Christmas event ideas?

The Christmas tree caches of this cacher

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.aspx?u=king30

have been quite popular in my area. Each year the owner selected a tree in a forest and decorated with a few items and

cachers could bringer further ones and attach it to the tree. Of course there always was a cache box available too.

You might want to have a look a the many photos in the gallery.

A friend of mine has hidden some Christmas caches (this is one of them http://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC21B2K_eine-schone-bescherung?guid=a77807c5-63d5-4fa1-ae24-d3f29d2ed2eb )where she left a number of Christmas parcels with small gifts - after Christmas the cache then was turned in a normal cache. Others in the area have followed her example, e.g. here

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.aspx?key=wawuschel&submit4=Go

As Christmas events are regarded, there are many events held at or near Christmas markets in Austria (Graz, Vienna, Linz, Salzburg etc), see e.g. the Wiener Keks Dosen Event (Viennese cookie box event) series by this cacher

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.aspx?u=gumbo67

or the Longest night cache event series in Graz

http://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC407ZC_die-langste-nacht-des-jahres-2012

(2012 edition, links to other editions to be found in the cache description).

You can just look at the pictures in the gallery to get an impression. So I hope that you do not mind that the descriptions are in German.

Cezanne

I found a cache a few summers ago that was a left-over Christmas cache. The CO took a length of PVC pipe and glued a cap to the bottom and a 180 degree elbow to the top. They then wrapped it with red duct tape to make it look like like candy cane. It had a bison that went into the top and was hidden in a hollow tree trunk. It was an instant favorite.

Tough enough to meet all the confounded commitments around the Holiday Season (someone's got to evict those widows and orphans out into the cold, eh, Marley?) so events may or may not be well attended. Lots of people traveling or stuck with activities.

You may wish to wait until the 9th of January for an event, which will be the 5,000th day of Geocaching.

One of the caches recently published locally to me is a Christmas ornament exchange cache. It is a large container and each cacher takes an ornament and leaves an ornament. Most cachers make ornaments to leave in the cache as opposed to store bought. The ones I have made for example are made of paracord with a bell on the end.

Christmas cache ideas? Christmas event ideas?

The Christmas tree caches of this cacher

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.aspx?u=king30

have been quite popular in my area. Each year the owner selected a tree in a forest and decorated with a few items and

cachers could bringer further ones and attach it to the tree. Of course there always was a cache box available too.

You might want to have a look a the many photos in the gallery.

A friend of mine has hidden some Christmas caches (this is one of them http://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC21B2K_eine-schone-bescherung?guid=a77807c5-63d5-4fa1-ae24-d3f29d2ed2eb )where she left a number of Christmas parcels with small gifts - after Christmas the cache then was turned in a normal cache. Others in the area have followed her example, e.g. here

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.aspx?key=wawuschel&submit4=Go

As Christmas events are regarded, there are many events held at or near Christmas markets in Austria (Graz, Vienna, Linz, Salzburg etc), see e.g. the Wiener Keks Dosen Event (Viennese cookie box event) series by this cacher

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.aspx?u=gumbo67

or the Longest night cache event series in Graz

http://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC407ZC_die-langste-nacht-des-jahres-2012

(2012 edition, links to other editions to be found in the cache description).

You can just look at the pictures in the gallery to get an impression. So I hope that you do not mind that the descriptions are in German.

Cezanne

I love it! Something that might be done!

One of the caches recently published locally to me is a Christmas ornament exchange cache. It is a large container and each cacher takes an ornament and leaves an ornament. Most cachers make ornaments to leave in the cache as opposed to store bought. The ones I have made for example are made of paracord with a bell on the end.

So you hide all those in a cache? I'm not sure sorry, they all look great!

after getting quite a few favourites on my halloween cache that I recently set up, I am hoping to make a much better christmas themed cache as a result.

My halloween cache was a slightly modified clip-lock container (skeleton glued to the front, then spray painted the whole container to give it a little bit of a 3d feel. The bit that I feel earned most of the favourites though was the method of putting the logsheet in a separate container, under some Goo, so you have to get your fingers sticky to retrieve log :P wasn't sure how well it would go down, but people seem to have liked it. Also the area I set it up in had some big black netting draped over the trees (guessing local kids/teens were hanging about down there at some point) but it made for some amazing cobwebs to improve the theme.

But yeh, that was for halloween, I have a few idea's going about in my head for christmas which I recieved as suggestions on a FB page, the idea I would most like to do would be a full tree conversion, baubels/tinsel/angel on top and presents underneath. But with limited travel range and nowhere I can think of where it wouldn't be discovered by muggles (likely local teens/kids) I think that may be a little too big to set up in my area.

Other idea's are cache container disguised as either a present/christmas cracker, etc...

We have a tradition for Christmas-calendar caches in our little corner of the world.

This is our local calendar for 2013, and here are some of the other calendars around the country (unfortunately none in english, but I guess you'll get the general idea)

Some of the participating CO's even serve hot cocoa and cookies near gz of their cache shortly after publication; making it a great excuse to get out, do some geocaching and meet fellow geocachers throughout December.

There is a Christmas celebration in my town that involves a parade, tree lighting and fireworks. I want to do a Christmas Carol flash mob about 45 minutes before the parade. I am having a problem getting it published in my area due to the listing not being geocaching related enough - I mentioned celebrating the season with our geocaching friends and bringing a piece of paper with your name and whether you have been naughty or nice this past year to put in a hat for a log book, and I have also mentioned to the reviewer I am trying to work with the city to possibly do a couple of event caches but am waiting on a response back from them. Still not good enough....

But not more than an hour away, an event has published for a Christmas cookie exchange with one mention of geocaching in the entire listing. So.....why a Christmas cookie exchange and not a flash mob to sing a carol or two? I am not getting much help from the reviewer....any ideas?

We have a tradition for Christmas-calendar caches in our little corner of the world.

This is our local calendar for 2013, and here are some of the other calendars around the country (unfortunately none in english, but I guess you'll get the general idea)

Some of the participating CO's even serve hot cocoa and cookies near gz of their cache shortly after publication; making it a great excuse to get out, do some geocaching and meet fellow geocachers throughout December.

Great idea!

There is a Christmas celebration in my town that involves a parade, tree lighting and fireworks. I want to do a Christmas Carol flash mob about 45 minutes before the parade. I am having a problem getting it published in my area due to the listing not being geocaching related enough - I mentioned celebrating the season with our geocaching friends and bringing a piece of paper with your name and whether you have been naughty or nice this past year to put in a hat for a log book, and I have also mentioned to the reviewer I am trying to work with the city to possibly do a couple of event caches but am waiting on a response back from them. Still not good enough....

But not more than an hour away, an event has published for a Christmas cookie exchange with one mention of geocaching in the entire listing. So.....why a Christmas cookie exchange and not a flash mob to sing a carol or two? I am not getting much help from the reviewer....any ideas?

I don't know! I think it sounds like an event to me!

We travel from Washington to Nevada and spend time with my husband's family on a Christmas/Thanksgiving rotating schedule. We like to have a meet and greet event set up, since we don't get to see that caching community very often. We usually call it "Merry Cachemas" or "Happy Thankscaching" based on which holiday we are there for. This year, it's Christmas! It's a small community, so we'll wrap up fun little raffle prizes and there will be one available for everyone to win. If you are traveling to be with family, a meet and greet event at a local restaurant is a fun way to meet the faces of the names you'll see in all the nearby caches.

Have fun celebrating the holidays...cache style! :D