When is an event an Event/

A question to the community regarding event caches. Individual cachers are held to several rules. An event cannot be listed for the sole reason to find geocaches. An Event has to be a gathering of geocachers. My question refers to GC4Q9VN “Caching day at the Arboretum” The listed co-ordinates are in the middle of the woods and there is no gathering of Cachers there. The cache page states that a log book is located in a building over a ¼ mile away and that can be signed any time during the day. The reason for the event is for cachers to come and find new caches that will be published on the day of the event. My question is 1-Where is the event 2-How does this meet Groundspeaks Guidelines?

I think the fact that the land manager (an Arboretum) is the event sponsor is material. The arboretum is giving a guided tour of its property, allowing visitors to learn about trees and such from an expert. Along the way, they can find six new caches. Sounds fun! That's very different from "let's go hunt 50 caches in Jones National Forest on Saturday."

For the purpose of clarification:

The guidelines state "An event cache should not be set up for the sole purpose of drawing together geocachers for an organized geocache search." There does not seem to be any other criteria listed for a land manager.

The event listing does not mention learning about trees from an expert. "...join an Arboretum Educator for a guided adventure from 10:00 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. or from 2:00 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. to seek out several of the Arboretum’s caches." (emphasis added)

Sounds like an event for the sole purpose of drawing together geocachers for an organized geocache search. IMHO

Are the guidelines just guidelines, and not hard fast rules, leaving them to the discretion of the reviewer?

My reaction was what Keystone said. Likely the fact that it is a land manager doing this makes a difference. And I assume the "Arboretum Educator" will do more than just guide you to the caches.

I agree it is not your standard event, but it seems a good thing to allow.

And there is a lot of judgement used with the guidelines.

Sounds fun. Also sounds like these are temporary caches.

That isn't clear to me. There are 4 older existing traditional caches in the Arboretum. The event says "on Geocaching Day visitors are welcome to seek five new traditional geocaches that have found a home on the property and one special nature-themed “Series Cache”",

If you can only find these caches on the one day then yes.. but it could also mean that they are simply being launched that day. I assumed the themed cache will be a multi-cache.

Sounds fun. Also sounds like these are temporary caches.

That isn't clear to me. There are 4 older existing traditional caches in the Arboretum. The event says "on Geocaching Day visitors are welcome to seek five new traditional geocaches that have found a home on the property and one special nature-themed “Series Cache”",

If you can only find these caches on the one day then yes.. but it could also mean that they are simply being launched that day. I assumed the themed cache will be a multi-cache.

They're not temporary in that they will remain active after the event. They archived five older caches to let those areas recover. These will probably remain for some time until they feel these areas need to recover from the trampling.

I see the nearby new traditional caches, with reviewer notes saying they're to be published shortly before the event. Any speculation that they are temporary caches placed just for the event seems inappropriate. From reading the cache page, it appears that caches placed by the arboretum staff are allowed as an exception to a "no geocaches" policy. As a result, ten miles of nice hiking trails are now available for geocaching. Sounds like a win.

I think the thread has strayed into the topic of temporary caches when the real topic was about the definition of an event and whether there are different guidelines for organizations versus individual cachers setting up an event.

This "event" sounds interesting, and it's great that the Arboretum has set up caches so that geocachers can enjoy the gardens and geocache at the same time.

I doubt that I could use a similar event description and get it approved.

I think you're on to something. Tell the event attendees that there will be temporary buried caches in your yard with big, big prizes in them. Give really fuzzy coordinates. At the end of the event, tell your wife that you just saved hundreds of dollars on a roto-tiller, so you're buying a new GPS.

I think you're on to something. Tell the event attendees that there will be temporary buried caches in your yard with big, big prizes in them. Give really fuzzy coordinates. At the end of the event, tell your wife that you just saved hundreds of dollars on a roto-tiller, so you're buying a new GPS.

Great idea! I'll be sure to have exactly that type of event prior to planting my potatoes next year.

I too am assuming it's a walk around the arboretum, with finding geocaches along the way. You don't have to find the caches-but they're there and you are, so you might as well. You also don't have to pay attention to any info, such as rare trees or something like that...But it's there, so you might as well learn something...

No, no, no. If you live in the northern part of the continent host a winter event. The cache is supposed to be on the driveway, and or sidewalk, under the snow. Provide shovels, but "forget" to place the cache. That way the whole driveway/sidewalks will get shoveled.

Or can I host a CITO event at my house? CITO is to clear unwanted stuff-garbage, flood debris....so why not snow?

Also, the 'rulebook' doesn't say anything about land managers, of course, but clearly - in direct regards to the guideline since the OP is pointing to it - an exception was made because of nature of the event owner. And as that is up to the reviewer, it's pointless to point to the guideline and say "it's against the rules!" The reviewer knows. That's (presumably) why it was an exception. :P