Garmin VIRB Elite

Just got my new VIRB Elite yesterday and haven't had much time to check it out yet, but the first thing it wanted to do when I turned it on, after the Language selection, was find satellites to get a gps fix. It only took about 30 seconds to find itself, so it's now ready to geolocate pictures and video.

Anyone else have one out there and willing to share their observations?

My Elite arrived with documentation for the basic model. I've asked Garmin through their online form for a manual for the Elite model. Would be interesting to know if there is one right now.

To answer my own question above: The online PDF manual has info on the Elite model buried inside, where appropriate.

What a great little device!

These Dashboards show what the gps can do, aside from Geolocating photos and video. I especially like the G Force display!

VIRB%2520Dashboards.jpg

(Screen capture from the Garmin VIRB manual)

The manual for the VIRB Elite can be downloaded here (http://support.garmin.com/support/manuals/manuals.htm?partNo=010-01088-10).

I have the Elite and have been having issues with it connecting to the satellites. I've tried everything from resetting the battery, resetting the unit and walking out into an open field with a complete open view to the sky and no dice. It will not connect! I've emailed Gamin support, just waiting for a reply. I hope they come out with software updates.

Has anyone had an issue connecting to the satellites?

The manual for the VIRB Elite can be downloaded here (http://support.garmin.com/support/manuals/manuals.htm?partNo=010-01088-10).

I have the Elite and have been having issues with it connecting to the satellites. I've tried everything from resetting the battery, resetting the unit and walking out into an open field with a complete open view to the sky and no dice. It will not connect! I've emailed Gamin support, just waiting for a reply. I hope they come out with software updates.

Mine does lose the sats occasionally in treed areas. But it is connected most of the time.

When did you buy yours?

I'm interested in getting it to do time zones right for me. It has me 1 hour ahead unless I set the time zone manually.

Edited by Dr Jeckyl and Mr Hide

Mine does lose the sats occasionally in treed areas. But it is connected most of the time.

When did you buy yours?

I bought mine from http://www.thegpsstore.com/

How about you, where did you purchase yours?

Edited by rjmlakota

When did you buy yours?

I bought mine from GPSCity, but I was more interested in when you bought yours.

When did you buy yours?

I bought mine from GPSCity, but I was more interested in when you bought yours.

I purchased mine on Nov 1st.

I also have the GoPro2 and really enjoy using that. I have MANY Garmin products and sort of needed this. lol I do like the switch to start the recording process on the VIRB. I have to admit I think the VIRB will be my go to camera now. I'm even thinking of selling my GoPro2 on Ebay. I emailed Garmin about the satellite issue and here was support's response.

----------------------------

If your Virb or Virb Elite is failing to perform as expected, it may be necessary to master reset the device. Master resets clear user settings by restoring the device to factory default settings. There are a few other troubleshooting steps that can be performed before a master reset.

Often issues are caused by corrupt GPS user data, videos or photos. You may want to backup this data before removing it from the device. To remove this data from the device, reference the section “Erasing Your Memory Card” in the owner's manual.

To perform a master reset:

Ensure the device is powered off

Press and hold Down

Press and immediately release Power

Wait for the message "Erase all user data?"

Release Down

Select Yes

The device should now be reset to default factory settings, all user data should be removed, and the device should function as expected.

Edited by rjmlakota

I also have the GoPro2 and really enjoy using that. I have MANY Garmin products and sort of needed this. lol I do like the switch to start the recording process on the VIRB. I have to admit I think the VIRB will be my go to camera now. I'm even thinking of selling my GoPro2 on Ebay. I emailed Garmin about the satellite issue and here was support's response.

----------------------------

If your Virb or Virb Elite is failing to perform as expected, it may be necessary to master reset the device. Master resets clear user settings by restoring the device to factory default settings. There are a few other troubleshooting steps that can be performed before a master reset.

Often issues are caused by corrupt GPS user data, videos or photos. You may want to backup this data before removing it from the device. To remove this data from the device, reference the section “Erasing Your Memory Card” in the owner's manual.

To perform a master reset:

Ensure the device is powered off

Press and hold Down

Press and immediately release Power

Wait for the message "Erase all user data?"

Release Down

Select Yes

The device should now be reset to default factory settings, all user data should be removed, and the device should function as expected.

My Elite was locking up occasionally so I reset it the way you describe here and it's been reliable ever since.

Did you try to hold the Up Arrow and Power up? You get into a test screen.

New update from Garmin for VIRB Edit today!

Here's the changelog for the Mac version:

Changes made from version 2.1.0 to 2.2.1:

Added overlay gauge templates.

Added separate preference for altitude units

Added option for nautical units.

Added capability to select which clips to import from a camera.

Added option to show satellite imagery on Bing maps.

Fixed a number of video export issues in 10.9 (Mavericks)

I was suffering from the Mac export problem and it is fixed now. The Gauge templates are really funky. And being able to choose which file(s) to import from the camera makes sense too.

Here's the changelog for the Windows version:

Changes made from version 2.1.1 to 2.2.0:

Added overlay gauge templates.

Added capability to select which clips to import from a camera.

Added separate preference for altitude units.

Added option for nautical units.

I just got back from a trip and noticed your post. Thanks for the information. I will be completing the update tomorrow!

VIRB Edit is pretty basic but it does work well enough. It would be nice to have control over the transition from clip to clip, but this is a good start.

The Dashboard I used here is from the Aviation set. The clip was recorded at 1080p, 30 fps. Music by Aoife O'Donovan; a track called "Gone From Here" off her album "Fossils".

If any of you have the VIRB or VIRB Elite already, there's an update to the unit software available through WebUpdater.

Version 2.70

Changes from version 2.50 to version 2.70:

Improved software reliability

Improved photo capture performance

Fixed intermittent issue with entering mass storage

Elite Only: Improved ANT sensor stability

Elite Only: Fixed issue with Daylight Savings Time

Note: Your VIRB will update the next time it is powered on. Do not power off while green light is flashing.

Improves Video Quality

If any of you have the VIRB or VIRB Elite already, there's an update to the unit software available through WebUpdater.

Version 2.70

Note: Your VIRB will update the next time it is powered on. Do not power off while green light is flashing.

Version 2.70

Thanks for the heads-up. I installed 2.70 on my Virb without any problems.

Version 2.70

Thanks for the heads-up. I installed 2.70 on my Virb without any problems.

To fix a potential mass storage mode problem, Garmin fired out 2.80 today. As before, use Web Updater.

There's an update to Virb Edit too, fresh today.

Has anyone been having issue with the VIRB locking up after upgrading to the newest version?

After I upgraded when I turn the unit on to record and then stop recording the VIRB locks up. The only way to reset is to remove the battery.

Thanks,

RJ

I have had it lock up a couple of times, but that took place prior to upgrading to firmware 2.80. I have had no problems with my Virb Basic using FW 2.80

Has anyone been having issue with the VIRB locking up after upgrading to the newest version?

After I upgraded when I turn the unit on to record and then stop recording the VIRB locks up. The only way to reset is to remove the battery.

I have seen a few instances of locking up with 2.80 over the weekend.

One of the times I ended up with this in the viewfinder:

photo%25202.JPG

I would have tried a factory reset, but I've got something else to try which I can't report on right now. But soon...

Interesting article about the technology behind the VIRB: http://www.csr.com/news/pr/2013/coach-drives-garmin-virb-action-cam

http://csr.com/products/140/coach-14

coach14_block_diagram_2.png?itok=XyWO0TWG

"COACH14, with its high quality video and still capability, low power and advanced features, is perfectly designed to suit the needs of action cameras. It includes proprietary Digital Video Stabilisation (DVS) technology which compensates for shakiness without the need for a gyro, ensuring steady footage even in extreme situations such as snowboarding or mountain biking. It also includes market-leading noise reduction capabilities which allows for high-grade footage even in low-light conditions, advanced colour reproduction and improved dynamic range behaviour."

All my lock ups this weekend occurred after recording. Please keep us posted...

Have you tried a different uSD card? What card are you using? Brand? Class?

Have you tried the "Factory Reset"?

Those are the two things I would try first, in your situation.

I'm using a SanDisk Ultra 64gb I believe it's a class 10.

I just checked and see there's an update for the VIRB. I'm going to update and see if it correct some of my issues.

All my lock ups this weekend occurred after recording. Please keep us posted...

Have you tried a different uSD card? What card are you using? Brand? Class?

Have you tried the "Factory Reset"?

Those are the two things I would try first, in your situation.

I'm using a SanDisk Ultra 64gb I believe it's a class 10.

I just checked and see there's an update for the VIRB. I'm going to update and see if it correct some of my issues.

Have you got a Smartphone? The apps have been released and the update is mostly to support the apps.

New update out for VIRB Edit for Windows: Version 2.2.5

Changes made from version 2.2.3 to 2.2.5:

Fixed more export issues.

Fixed a start-up issue.

Tried updating to version 2.3.2 in Windows 7 and now Virb software crashes when trying to open. Have you been able to update to the newest version 2.3.2?

Have you tried uninstalling the previous version, or the flawed version first before installing it again? That would be my first choice.

New update out for VIRB Edit for Windows: Version 2.2.5

Changes made from version 2.2.3 to 2.2.5:

Fixed more export issues.

Fixed a start-up issue.

Tried updating to version 2.3.2 in Windows 7 and now Virb software crashes when trying to open. Have you been able to update to the newest version 2.3.2?

Have you tried uninstalling the previous version, or the flawed version first before installing it again? That would be my first choice.

Yes, tried uninstalling, restarting PC and same outcome. Looks like a call to Garmin needs to take place.

I have been looking at this device since my last camera drowned. I would like to know if I can combine the camera spec with a possible Geocaching device - can I use to locate Geo caches?

Cheers.

No, it doesn't show your location, or the co-ordinates, or anything like that. It will record a track and information from ANT+ devices, but it can't be used as a gps in any way.

A new version of the firmware for the Virb is available through Garmin WebUpdater.

Changes from version 3.70 to version 3.80:

Fixed issue with slow boot-to-record times when using non-English languages.

Remember A/V cable preferences across power cycles.

Not a lot to get excited about in the change log but Garmin often quietly bundles in other fixes and I'm sure this one is no exception.

There's also new versions of Virb Edit. I use the Mac version and it now has titles, clip transitions and a few other interesting features. On the Windows side, you need to get the Beta version to see clip transitions etc.

2014-07-23_0654%2520VE%2520Update.jpg

This is the Clip Transition tab: basic, but it's better than nothing.

VE%2520Clip%2520Transitions.jpg

Here's the VE Export screen:

VE%2520Export%2520Options.jpg

I am liking this version a lot. I've just created a short video with different types of clips and transitions, and it worked really well.

Here's a quick test video. Includes titles and transitions, going from 720p/60FPS to 1080p/30FPS, to 720p/30FPS.

Looks promising.... I'm excited. I've been flirting with the idea of buying video editing software. What do you recommend? Wait to see what VIRB edit becomes, or purchase another software package? What do you use to edit your videos?

RJ

I use Virb Edit for day to day stuff because I like having the gauges on the videos. And I'm not doing anything important; just ride videos or ships going through seaway locks, etc.

Here's one now!

And here's a video I shot to try out better sound, using a windsock over the microphone. Wind noise on a motorcycle generally destroys any audio from the camera, so the windsock is important, if audio matters to you.

If I was planning to document a holiday, I'd create videos using VE to get the gauges included, then export the videos and bring them into iMovie or something else to have transitions between the movies themselves.