Needing real cache locations for fictional book.

Hi fellow Gocachers!

I'm currently working on a new novel and one of my characters (who recently became a vampire) is hanging onto her humanity by keeping her hobby of Geocaching. I'd love to use some real life locations in my book. Now before any of you volunteer your cache be aware that this will leak spoilers in some cases. I plain on trying to avoid it where I can but I will have to be detailed about some of the locations and containers for the reader to really feel the excitement.

With the possible spoiler issue in mind, I'm currently looking for caches that skirt along the Alabama/Tennessee line. I'd love to use a spot with a good history or maybe a significant landmark but overall I'm looking for unique.

If you'd like to submit your cache please Email me. If your location is chosen you will be listed in the acknowledgment with a big thank you and you will receive a copy of the book when it goes to print.

I will be looking for other locations as the book plays out so check back later, especially if you live in the south east section of the United States B)

Many thanks and happy geocaching!

Wenona Hulsey, Author and Geocacher

My Website

Hi fellow Gocachers!

I'm currently working on a new novel and one of my characters (who recently became a vampire) is hanging onto her humanity by keeping her hobby of Geocaching. I'd love to use some real life locations in my book. Now before any of you volunteer your cache be aware that this will leak spoilers in some cases. I plain on trying to avoid it where I can but I will have to be detailed about some of the locations and containers for the reader to really feel the excitement.

With the possible spoiler issue in mind, I'm currently looking for caches that skirt along the Alabama/Tennessee line. I'd love to use a spot with a good history or maybe a significant landmark but overall I'm looking for unique.

If you'd like to submit your cache please Email me. If your location is chosen you will be listed in the acknowledgment with a big thank you and you will receive a copy of the book when it goes to print.

I will be looking for other locations as the book plays out so check back later, especially if you live in the south east section of the United States B)

My Website

First you need permission from Groundspeak to use their copyright protected material in a commercial venture.

There is no reason you have to use real geocache locations for "the reader to really feel the excitement." That is the job of the author and a good one is able to instill that excitement in a totally fictional setting. An old saw is to write about what you know. Spend time finding more geocaches and you will be able to create a realistic fictional caching experience in the book.

Best of luck in you writing efforts.

Edited by GeoTrekker26

Thanks so much for the advice GeoTrekker26. I'm very much aware of copyright usage and I'm covered in that area but I appreciate you looking out for me. As for making up my own cache locations...sure I could do that, but isn't it more fun if a person can visit a location that they've read about? I know as an avid reader myself I enjoy that "Ahhh! I know that place!" moment. Any who, thanks for the reply.

Hi fellow Gocachers!

My Website

First you need permission from Groundspeak to use their copyright protected material in a commercial venture.

There is no reason you have to use real geocache locations for "the reader to really feel the excitement." That is the job of the author and a good one is able to instill that excitement in a totally fictional setting. An old saw is to write about what you know. Spend time finding more geocaches and you will be able to create a realistic fictional caching experience in the book.

Best of luck in you writing efforts.

Let me be the first to say that this sounds pretty cool. If your vamp ever ventures to Ohio, consider lurking in the unforgiving Hayden Climb.

Thanks so much, Sharks-N-Beans! It's nice to find a positive person in what is beginning to feel like a group of pessimist lol. I'll let you know if the story takes a trip to your state. :)

I would suggest if you want to use real caches, you should hide them. Then you are responsible for making sure they are safe and maintained. I would not want my cache and my caching account used in this way. Besides you can hide exactly the kind of cache you want for the plot.

+1 You could hide the cache, with a theme that fits your story perfectly, then people will be able to visit the cache they read about in your book. You could even coordinate the cache publish dates to coincide with the publishing of your book.

Just don't put any garlic in them, nor cover them with mirrors if a vampire is expected to sign the log.... ;)

Can't wait to read the book. I like the idea of you creating book specific caches and getting them published the same day your book is published. Perhaps it could turn into a series with a signed copy of your book for the FTF?

Edited by jakeyuma

Let me be the first to say that this sounds pretty cool. If your vamp ever ventures to Ohio, consider lurking in the unforgiving Hayden Climb.

Thanks so much, Sharks-N-Beans! It's nice to find a positive person in what is beginning to feel like a group of pessimist lol. I'll let you know if the story takes a trip to your state. :)

Well, it was sort of an unusual request. :)

Actually, there's another Writerchick, pun intended, from Minnesota who has hid her own caches for her children's books. Which are not published yet. Should be pretty soon though.

I usually see thing in a more negative way than the OP. but this time I actually don't see a problem. The caches themselves,-and possibly the listing content- are not property of Groundspeak, so there is no copywriter issue there. The OP is asking for people who want their caches in the book. IIRC, here have been similar threads about featuring caches in books and video, and everyone thought it was not a good idea to do so without permission from the CO.

Now good idea or not, you have to give the CO some credit here for trying to do the right thing.

To the CO since you aren't getting much positive thoughts here, I'll give you an idea. Since nobody wil volunteer their cache, and you can't put up your own, why not get someone to put some up for you?

Edited by T.D.M.22

You know what, I don't see the harm in this. My caches are listed on the largest depository for such listings on the planet and if that isn't painting a large enough "MUGGLE ME" sign on them then nothing will.

We have actually found some of the same caches in the Bankhead area- I recognize your user name.

Although mine might be too far south for your needs, feel free to use the locations of any of my active caches as source material- it would be cool if you found them first. Please do not use any of the archived caches.

You know what, I don't see the harm in this. My caches are listed on the largest depository for such listings on the planet and if that isn't painting a large enough "MUGGLE ME" sign on them then nothing will.

We have actually found some of the same caches in the Bankhead area- I recognize your user name.

Although mine might be too far south for your needs, feel free to use the locations of any of my active caches as source material- it would be cool if you found them first. Please do not use any of the archived caches.

Thanks so much, Castle Mischief! I'll keep yours in mind if my characters head south instead of farther north. The caches in the Bankhead have been my favorite. The opening scene in my book is actually set in a spot loosely based on a trail-head in the Sipsey portion of the Bankhead.

When I hammer out the caches I do plan on finding them for myself first. I can't let my characters get more caches than me lol.