Peer Review: Ice and Water Vending

The following text is from a message I posted (in reply to SilverQuill on 10/10/13) when I proposed the new GROUP: Ice Junkies. From the responses I have gotten in peer review, it seems that it was unread by many...

I originally started out with one company - Twice the Ice (Twice the Ice and IceBorn). But later learned that there were others out there. Then I added the water vending since ice is just frozen water.

Interesting: I started out trying to describe the buildings, but decided that it would be easier if I just attached photos. Since I don't know how to post a photo into this message, I guess I will have to send you to a few websites.

http://twicetheice.com/about/our-story (USA)

http://www.icevendingmachine.us/the-machines.html (USA)

http://www.kingdomice.com/photo-gallery/ (USA)

http://www.austunecommercial.com.au/shop/category/icevendingmachines (AUSTRALIA)

http://www.vending-machine-china.com/sealed-bag-ice-vending-machine.html (CHINA)

http://www.vendingconnection.com/icevendingmachines.html

http://www.access-alpinespace.eu/category/vending-machines-2/ Someplace in the EU)

As you can see they are pretty “interesting” looking.

Useful: “Whether you are looking for an Ice House in your neighborhood or planning a trip and need to find one on your route,” This quote comes from Twice the Ice's webpage. Many have stated, "If I want ice I can just go to the gas station or grocery store." This is true, but these locations provide ice at a discouted price. Plus you are only a few steps from your vehicle.

Locations: “There are over 2,500 independent Twice the Ice locations across the US to supply you with your ice needs.” http://www.icehousea...a.com/locations

Permanent: As you can see in the photo, they are pretty much attached to a 3 foot high concrete slab. (Again, I started with Twice the Ice)

I edited my original goal to now read: “The mission of this group is to locate the 2,500 (plus) Twice the Ice and Ice Born locations across the United States. Most will be found in the Southeast, but locations are popping up in the Southwest, Midwest and Northeast.” If you go to http://twicetheice.com/locations/ ,(locations) you can put in your zip code and see how many locations are within a 10, 20, or 50 mile radius from you. I have 47 within a 50 mile radius from my location, and I live in a small town. We actually have a location here, which is why I thought about it as a new category.

I realize that I may be fighting a losing battle to get this category admitted, but I am going to give it my best shot. If I can convince one person at a time, that is how it is going to be. I see where there are some categories from 2009 that are still in limbo.

At last count, there were 28 DENY, 8 ABSTAINED, and only 5 APPROVE. (With about 23 hrs remaining)

For those of you OUTSIDE of the US, I have to ask this - what temperature is your BEER when you drink it? Here in the US we put our beer on ice. How can you judge a category if you say it is not found in YOUR COUNTRY?

No Ancient Roman Sites in the US, but we still have a category for those. No WPA Projects OUTSIDE of the US, but that one got passed.

What is Waymarking?

Waymarking is a way to mark unique locations on the planet and give them a voice. While GPS technology allows us to pinpoint any location on the planet, mark the location, and share it with others, Waymarking is the toolset for categorizing and adding unique information for that location. Groundspeak's slogan is "The Language of Location" and our goal is to give people the tools to help others share and discover unique and interesting locations on the planet. We invite you to share your part of the world with us through Waymarking.com.

What is a Waymark?

A waymark is a physical location on the planet marked by coordinates (latitude/longitude) and contains unique information defined by its waymark category. An outdoor maze category, for example, could contain information like price of admission and days of operation, while a statue category may describe the artist's medium and date of dedication.

I'm sure that I have lost most of my audience by now. Quite frankly, I'm pretty sure that I wasted the time and effort it took to type this message. It really doesn't matter.

I realize this message won't change anything, and it might cause the delay in posting of any future waymarks. I really don't care at this point... IT'S GAME FOLKS, WE ALL PLAY IT OUR OWN WAY.

If you want to get back to CORE VALUES, you shouldn't have let it get away from CORE VALUES.

Thanks for the vote of confidence! :rolleyes:

But the question is: How many of those anonymous votes are NAYS? I guess only time will tell.

You never now. In general, anonymous votes are more negative and less friendly than the public ones.

You seem to be a strong personality, who does not become intimidated by resistance. I respect that, I even like it.

But we told you that this was not a good idea. What is Waymarking? You cited the official statement from Groundspeak before, including this part: "... share and discover unique and interesting locations on the planet ...". Interestingness is a very subjective thing. Some are more into history, others into nature, sports, culture, science ... and almost endless list. There is place for all kinds of interests in Waymarking. I enjoy my interests, and others may have theirs.

So why did I vote Nay? Because there are limits. Imagine you visit a friend who has moved to a new town. He wants to show you around. First thing he wants to show you is - a vending machine.

C'mon! That cannot be serious.

You may find them useful, even great, the best thing on earth after you got lost in the desert for three days, but NOT interesting. Sorry!

I'm assuming the first couple of nay votes came before you added the other companies, because commercial promotion is generally frowned upon. Now that you added to your description, I feel it's no longer an issue, but other people's feelings may differ.

Do you know why people were against it?

Not a good assumption. Nothing changes once a category is put to vote. Yes he knows why people are against the category, as each person has to post their reason if they vote no. Most of no votes are not because it is commercial, they are because vending machines are not interesting.

Edited by BruceS

I'm assuming the first couple of nay votes came before you added the other companies, because commercial promotion is generally frowned upon. Now that you added to your description, I feel it's no longer an issue, but other people's feelings may differ.

Do you know why people were against it?

You have to provide a reason for a Nay vote; so this is easy to look up.

And it's technically not possible to modify a proposal once the vote has started. Your assumption is wrong, all votes are based on the same data.

FYI: I'm over it. Good thing I don't hold a grudge for a long time. :rolleyes:

I do appreciate the comments for the Nay's, it was a lesson learned.

I REALLY think that I could have gotten this one passed - IF I had done a better job of explaining and promoting it. Antother lesson learned.

I hold a lot of my fellow Waymarkers in high regard and in the future I will try to listen a little better.

Please, no hard feelings. I said it once and I will say it a million times:

IT'S GAME FOLKS, WE ALL PLAY IT OUR OWN WAY

I don't think most restaurants are waymark worthy either, but when I'm feeling like I need to add ten points to my visits I can always drive down hamburger alley and pick up a few visits.

As for getting back to the CORE VALUES - With 1069 User Created Categories, I don't ever see that ever happening. These categories got passed, and unless we are going to kill them off, Like GC's CHALLENGES, then they are here to stay.

Yes, Fi67, you hit the nail on the head when you said: "You seem to be a strong personality, who does not become intimidated by resistance. I respect that, I even like it." My standing up for "Truth, Justice, and the American Way", cost me my job - TWICE. That's what happens when you are in a regulatory enforcement type position and your employer doesn't want to hear what they are doing incorrectly.

But like I was saying. I'm ok now. I won't go away with this little defeat.

To quote Nietzsche: "That which doesn't kill us, makes us stronger". (I think they said it in Fried Green Tomatoes, too)

Looks like ICE VENDING MACHINES was a BUST.

Was I supposed to get a message telling me how the voting went, or just that it didn't make it through Peer Review? I'm asking because this is a first time for me.

I said IF the category passed, I was going to thank each person by name. Unfortunately, I can't find the vote information anymore.

So hopefully this will do:

Thanks to ALL who voted. The Yea Sayers, Nay Sayers, and the Abstainers. For those of you who offered comments, I will remember your reasons and the NEXT category I send up I will keep your comments in mind.

Interesting/Useful. Prevalence. (I know there are two more, someone remind me)