future events and new caches

bones1

Hi folks, help needed, please. when i get my weekly notification of events and new caches for the last 6 months all i get are two days into the future of events and a few new caches but i used to get events months and months in advance so you could plan visits,but now i miss events due to the list being so short, only a dozen new caches come in where it used to show many many new caches, is there anything that can be done to show more on my weekly notification.jeff=bones1.

No one else's fault but your own. They all appear on the map. They all appear on the list. You can search by your home location (or wherever else you feel like) and organize by newest. As a premium member you can run PQs for all newly published caches. As a PM you can also get notifications, including all published caches, published events, archived caches and others.

These things aren't secret, and as for events, they get published at least 2 weeks before the event. For large events, it could be a month or more.

Hi folks, help needed, please. when i get my weekly notification of events and new caches for the last 6 months all i get are two days into the future of events and a few new caches but i used to get events months and months in advance so you could plan visits,but now i miss events due to the list being so short, only a dozen new caches come in where it used to show many many new caches, is there anything that can be done to show more on my weekly notification.jeff=bones1.

What system are you using to generate your notifications? You mention a 'weekly' notification but the Premium Member notification system is instant so it makes me wonder if you have this set up correctly.

What system are you using to generate your notifications? You mention a 'weekly' notification but the Premium Member notification system is instant so it makes me wonder if you have this set up correctly.

Not to attempt to speak for the OP, but I took it as meaning the list of caches and events at the bottom of the weekly newsletter.

No one else's fault but your own.

Having checked the last notification, I also only get events for the next two days...although several are 150+ miles away. I'm guessing that Groundspeak have set a limitation so that the e-mail doesn't get too big and unwieldy, although it would seem logical to include all events in the next seven days. If it's really "my fault" I'm not sure how to change this.

It is the new improved weekly newsletter from earlier this year blink.gif

It seems that I am now expected to use PQ's to find out about events throughout the country.

I could always expand my email notification to cover the country, but I would receive an email for each new listing. I much prefer the previous method of seeing the list each week of forthcoming events.

Apart from having notifications set up for events, I also have a PQ for all UK Events which have not yet been attended. There's always some muppet who logs an Attended instead of a Will Attend but generally it shows me all the future events without having to mess around with setting dates.

I can then preview the PQ in the map and see if there are any forthcoming events in areas I might like to go to.

I also use the PQ for something else which is very useful but difficult to explain so I shan't bother because I doubt anyone would be interested anyway...

M

Edited by Delta68

I also use the PQ for something else which is very useful but difficult to explain so I shan't bother because I doubt anyone would be interested anyway...

How do you know?! :D Now I am intrigued, and will feel irritable until I do know. *tell* *tell* *or try to tell* :)

How do you know?! :D Now I am intrigued, and will feel irritable until I do know. *tell* *tell* *or try to tell* :)

I too am nosey :huh: you never know, it might be something the rest of us do - or might like to do or know how to do?

Going back to Jeff's post, I periodically check the 'coming events' map on project-gc.com. Might that be a useful alternative?

Click play

Select find geocache

Type in your home area

Before hitting submit edit mileage from location you feel able to go as far

Hit submit

A long list appears and on right of list is the section marked "last found"

Click on that. This organises them into last found with most recent at the top

Click it again and it reverses the order so that never yet found appears at the top.

Scroll through till you find the events symbols and have a look. It will also show all caches that are yet to be found in your area of rather the radius you specified from the location you chose.

Enjoy.

Hi Jeff.

The weekly E mail used to be very helpful in planning attendance at events and checking that all the events close to me were in my diary.

As some of the responses have said we now need to do it ourselves. I have set notifications for events, up to a sensible distance from me, I don't get notifications of any other caches - I'm past rushing out at midnight for FTF's. There aren't that many E mails and when they arrive I can decide whether I'm going or not and log a will attend if necessary.

See you soon.

Steve.

I too am nosey :huh: you never know, it might be something the rest of us do - or might like to do or know how to do?

OK, I use this GreaseMonkey script

I then preview the Events only PQ I mentioned earlier and step through each page at a time. This saves the event distance etc within the Firefox settings

a813f81d-e8d1-483a-a685-ea2d8db44653.jpg

I can then go to the http://www.geocaching.com/calendar/default.aspx page an I get a nicely filtered page like this:

ce6086c3-fbd5-40d0-acac-89d506191652.jpg

This might all seem a bit long-winded and cumbersome but compare that to the worse-than-useless normal calendar page.

Go on, click HERE to see what an unusable mess it is!

I use it all the time. I have never had any feedback about the script from anyone else despite it having been download 1,325 times!

Simplest way to know what is most recently published, without resorting to creating notifications, is to look on your profile page here:

http://www.geocaching.com/my/default.aspx

and scroll down to the "Search Options" box. There you will see the link "List newest in XXX".

You can refresh that page as often as you like and have the most recently published Mega-Events, Events and geocaches listed instantly.

Easy-peasy.

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

The GAGB maintain an event calendar here:

http://www.gagb.co.uk/forums/calendar.php

OK, so you're relying on someone else maintaining it (but I think they do keep it up to date) and if, like me, you have a very infrequent need then it's a lot easier than the other methods mentioned.

You can also go to the advanced search page here: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.aspx select "All Event Caches" from the dropdown, and stick in your post code, then when you get taken to the current list bookmark the page, you will then have a bookmark/favourite in your browser to search for nearest events.

No one else's fault but your own.

Having checked the last notification, I also only get events for the next two days...although several are 150+ miles away. I'm guessing that Groundspeak have set a limitation so that the e-mail doesn't get too big and unwieldy, although it would seem logical to include all events in the next seven days. If it's really "my fault" I'm not sure how to change this.

Post number two and six both give ways to know about these. These are nothing secret, especially the instant notifications. If one chooses not to use all the features, the comains because the don't get what they want, because they are not using those features, the have no one else to blame.

I think the point being the way you 'helped' was unnecessary TDM22. Your role in answering a question is to answer it. To do otherwise is an unnecessary waste of time and effort. To say that it is their 'own fault' ... is incorrectly put. There is no fault in not knowing. There is only not knowing. Hence their question. Your post attempts to lay blame which is a very odd and alienating way to answer a question and makes little sense. If that was your aim ... to tell off ... aim achieved. :blink: