Garmin Communicator Plug-in & Windows 8.1

luvvinbird

I loved my old computer with Windows 7, but it packed in and the new PC I purchased came pre-loaded with Windows 8 and IE version 11. A whole new learning experience caused me some frustration but downloading Windows 8.1 helped somewhat. However, for the life of me, I can't get Garmin's communicator plugin to work. After downloading, Garmin's webpage says I don't have the plugin installed and sure enough, I can't send cache info to my GPS. Any suggestions would be appreciated

I just got off the phone with Garmin support, a last resort after a lot of browsing searching for an answer. According to what's on the web, my problem is not Windows 8.1, it's Internet Explorer 11. Apparently, the plugin works fine with Google Chrome and Firefox, neither of which I use for a browser. Garmin's response left me hanging as they never stated there is a problem with IE 11 but that perhaps I should consider changing browsers. Oh, and Garmin is always developing updates, etc., etc. No one else has this problem?

I'm running Windows 8.1, but I use Chrome as my browser and don't normally use the Garmin Communicator plugin, so not much help that way.

Can IE 11 be run in compatibility mode so that it acts more like IE 8 or 9?

Thank you for responding. The answer is Google Chrome (or Firefox)and the problem is IE 11. I bit the bullet and installed Chrome last night and the communicator plugin was instantly recognized. So, now I have two browsers. It seems a shame that every time I replace a computer, I'm challenged with a whole new operating system. I'm sure this is true for any average person who buys a PC at a big box electronic store. But big business still uses Windows XP in a lot of companies and doesn't like windows 8 which makes me wonder what Microsoft is doing. Thank you for your input.

I'm sure you will be happy with Chrome once you get used to it. You can import all your bookmarks from IE and it has a fairly shallow learning curve. It is reputedly much quicker than IE. I have been using it for a couple of years now and it does seem less trouble free than IE with things like the Garmin Communicator issue.

I was having the same problem and finally got explorer to download to my GPS. In Internet explorer 11 click the settings button in the upper right hand corner then click on Compatibility View settings and add geocaching.com. After doing this I tried to send coordinates to my GPS and it worked!

Thanks, CornerHound. That was simple. Wonder why nobody else offered that easy solution!

Maybe because there are several other threads with the same/similar question/s, that all give the solution of "Compatibility Mode" to get it to work? :)

Agreed.

Numerous other threads.

Like to ask about making it a sticky, but few read those either...

:)

Well I did not work for me...

Got a new laptop, using same ie11 as old laptop. Garmin site says I have communicator plugin and it detects my Dakota 20. Go to geocaching.com and when I try to send to gps, communicator plugin is NOT detected.

AAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH Help?!

***UPDATE***

Ok that's odd...so I loaded a cache into another ie tab and when I clicked on send to my gps, a little window popped up asking if I want to allow geocaching.com to access my gps. Not sure what I did but it works now!

Edited by ArmyOfThe12Monkeys