INTRO APP users are killing the hobby

Here's a cute little intro app story for all y'all. So there's this park in a semi rural setting about 15 miles from my house. Being around since 2003, I can tell you there's been 4 or 5 caches in it over the years, most archived. All that remains is the first ever cache in that park, a 2005 placed 2 leg multi.

So a noob who joined in late August who currently has 35 finds places a cache in the park a couple weeks ago. The cache write up pontificates on how the owner couldn't believe there wasn't a cache in the park, and they have now rectified that situation. SAY WHAT? How can they not know there's a 2005 placed multi cache in the park? Took about a week before it hit me. Intro App user, they can't see the multi! Nor had they obviously ever looked at Geocaching.com on the interwebs itself, because surely they could see it there, right? Submitting that cache most likely was their first visit to the website.

Nothing more than a cute little story, which I find moderately interesting.

Wow. This entire idea scares me.

I understand entirely. Let's say the n00b doesn't know about stages of multis not showing up on the map. (Forget intro app for a moment - this affects standard accounts.) So they go and place their new cache at the perfect spot in the park and find an intermediate stage of a multi. No logbook *&* nothing on the map.

*Must* be geotrash, right?! So your cache goes in the trashcan.

Later, when they submit their new listing, they discover the truth from the reviewer - but by then the multi is in the city's trash dump underneath some rotten tomatos!

Oh no he di'int!! Thread bump. Just got a log on one of my multi's from a 75 find basic member. However, is this an intro app user? I thought they couldn't see multi's. The first leg is in a metal street corner free newspaper box, the final is a regular, two miles away, and about .40 miles from parking. I'm going to go out on a limb, and say they only found the micro. I see they have seven multi finds. I looked at all of them. One they actually post a picture of a metal tag with coordinates. In another, the entire contents of their find log is "micro" (the multi is listed as a regular).

Anyone else seeing this on multi's? I also discovered two "TFTC" logs on mine from 2013. Yes, I'm headed right over there to see if anyone signed my coordinates. :P

Can anyone verify you cannot see any multi caches with the intro apps?

Edited by Mr.Yuck

Can anyone explain this to me: http://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC2QD8D_stringtown?guid=12473023-bb66-480e-a734-ec864065320e

Somehow someone not using the Intro App found this Letterbox, but doesn't have a validated email address. How is this possible?

Perhaps straight into the paid App? That's possible...

This thread has researched what it takes to find caches if you get the Intro App, but I don't know what happens when a new user signs up via the Paid App...

This just goes to show...AGAIN...that a validated email address is really, really, really necessary for this whole system to work--from finding caches, to hiding caches, to reporting caches, to...well, you get the picture.

What a bummer that that unvalidated user was able to pilfer that cache. Perhaps the other 2 they have found need to be checked on by owners?

Can anyone explain this to me: http://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC2QD8D_stringtown?guid=12473023-bb66-480e-a734-ec864065320e

Somehow someone not using the Intro App found this Letterbox, but doesn't have a validated email address. How is this possible?

Well, if we are correct that intro app users can see ONLY TRADITIONAL CACHES, I guess they went straight to the paid app, *or* they could be using the free app which shall not be named. As a matter of fact, one of the many offended newbies who are NOT using the free intro app and thinks this thread is about them was shown to be using the free app which shall not be named. I ain't going to search 24 pages for it though. :laughing:

Right after I type this I'm emailing the n00b who allegedly found my multi. I'm not expecting a response, even though they did verify their email address. I'm off this afternoon, and I looked, no one has signed my coordinates.

How's this?

Hello, I'm the owner of the cache Surely you can't BEE serious, which STARTS in the Bee Box in the industrial park in Amherst. This is a multi cache, meaning the keyholder inside contains the coordinates for the final cache, 2 miles away, and a .40 mile one way hike from parking. I'm going to guess you only found this keyholder. I see you have 7 multi cache finds, and I'm thinking you have only found the first leg of all of them. What app are you using?

Oh no he di'int!! Thread bump. Just got a log on one of my multi's from a 75 find basic member. However, is this an intro app user? I thought they couldn't see multi's. The first leg is in a metal street corner free newspaper box, the final is a regular, two miles away, and about .40 miles from parking. I'm going to go out on a limb, and say they only found the micro. I see they have seven multi finds. I looked at all of them. One they actually post a picture of a metal tag with coordinates. In another, the entire contents of their find log is "micro" (the multi is listed as a regular).

Anyone else seeing this on multi's? I also discovered two "TFTC" logs on mine from 2013. Yes, I'm headed right over there to see if anyone signed my coordinates. :P

I have been using the intro app, it is only traditional caches that show up.

Get an app through your phone and never log into the site, no "validation" required.

App users only often have "never" listed as the last time visited.

- Great, isn't it?

I have been using the intro app, it is only traditional caches that show up.

Thanks! I know a few people around here have mentioned downloading it for "testing purposes", but if you say so, that's good enough for me. I suppose I will now wait for the email reply that's never going to happen from the person who is not using the intro app to find the first leg of multi's and log them as finds with 2 words or less. Gotta love app caching, intro or not. :ph34r:

Well, if we are correct that intro app users can see ONLY TRADITIONAL CACHES, I guess they went straight to the paid app, *or* they could be using the free app which shall not be named. As a matter of fact, one of the many offended newbies who are NOT using the free intro app and thinks this thread is about them was shown to be using the free app which shall not be named. I ain't going to search 24 pages for it though. :laughing:

Right after I type this I'm emailing the n00b who allegedly found my multi. I'm not expecting a response, even though they did verify their email address. I'm off this afternoon, and I looked, no one has signed my coordinates.

Thanks for the information. I wasn't sure how the paid app worked. Also, I completely forgot about the app that will not be named.

How's this?

Hello, I'm the owner of the cache Surely you can't BEE serious, which STARTS in the Bee Box in the industrial park in Amherst. This is a multi cache, meaning the keyholder inside contains the coordinates for the final cache, 2 miles away, and a .40 mile one way hike from parking. I'm going to guess you only found this keyholder. I see you have 7 multi cache finds, and I'm thinking you have only found the first leg of all of them. What app are you using?

I think that is a little harsh. I would approch it from a coching/mentoring angle, rather than the attacking angle you have put here.

Can anyone explain this to me: http://www.geocachin...34-ec864065320e

It's probably not the case, but someone with just the intro app could go geocaching with someone with the full app. In fact, it could even be a family that decided that having everyone in the family buy the app shouldn't be necessary for anyone in the family to find non-traditional caches.

Can anyone explain this to me: http://www.geocachin...34-ec864065320e

It's probably not the case, but someone with just the intro app could go geocaching with someone with the full app. In fact, it could even be a family that decided that having everyone in the family buy the app shouldn't be necessary for anyone in the family to find non-traditional caches.

That is a possibility in other cases, but here no other family members posted finds on this cache on the same day--or on either of the other 2 caches found by this person.

Really it is a game that everyone and anyone can play. I'm glad to see the intro apps, helps get people out there and moving and having fun. Please remember it is a game its not life. If you don't want yours found then make it member only. They are not killing the game you are. Just go play and have fun IT IS A GAME!!!!!! :laughing:

I have an evil two-part mystery cache. There was a find from someone with that as the only find. The log is 'two part'. Has contact information, but last visit was 'never'. Not sure if he signed the log or not.

I have an evil two-part mystery cache. There was a find from someone with that as the only find. The log is 'two part'. Has contact information, but last visit was 'never'. Not sure if he signed the log or not.

I'm thinking some people either don't realize it's an online log for people to read, or don't know that their personal notes are actually becoming their online logs. Maybe they're coming from the other gamezee where log text really isn't as significant. Who knows.

People should know and understand more about what the "online log" actually means and does. But I wouldn't automatically label all "micro" and "two part" style loggers as purposefully ignorant; could just be a beginner mistake that can be rectified with a little more knowledge. *shrug*

Edited by thebruce0

These hundreds and thousands of INTRO user are killing the hobby....

They are stealing caches, hiding caches without ever FINDING one.

They show up for a few days and reek havoc and they are GONE....

I'm tempter to go make all 900 of my hides into PREMIUM to keep INTRO people from finding the...

Well, I started Geocaching and I used the Intro App. I didn't want to spend $10.00 on something I wasn't sure I'd really be into doing. I was really curious about this, so I tried to find my first cache and I failed miserably. Luckily, when I logged my fail, the cache owner emailed me and took the time to point me in the direction of some helpful local message boards so that I could get in touch with someone to "teach" me. I joined that site, spoke to a few really great people, and even hid my own cache within a month of my joining. I even reached out to some of the people I met on the Southern NJ forum for help verifying my coordinates. Everyone was so friendly overall and I learned a lot. If that long-ago cache owner hadn't spent 5 minutes to help guide me, I might have just given up then. So, b/c of him I was educated. He helped keep this hobby alive for me, a lonely little newbie.

Now I have Premium and enjoy most of the features, but I still use my little Intro app. I just don't cache enough to justify $10.00, yet I enjoy it when I can, and I like getting out from in front of my computer sometimes to go on mini adventures. But yeah, hey, I don't deserve to have the Intro App, right? It's killing the hobby, yes?

These hundreds and thousands of INTRO user are killing the hobby....

They are stealing caches, hiding caches without ever FINDING one.

They show up for a few days and reek havoc and they are GONE....

I'm tempter to go make all 900 of my hides into PREMIUM to keep INTRO people from finding the...

Well, I started Geocaching and I used the Intro App. I didn't want to spend $10.00 on something I wasn't sure I'd really be into doing. I was really curious about this, so I tried to find my first cache and I failed miserably. Luckily, when I logged my fail, the cache owner emailed me and took the time to point me in the direction of some helpful local message boards so that I could get in touch with someone to "teach" me. I joined that site, spoke to a few really great people, and even hid my own cache within a month of my joining. I even reached out to some of the people I met on the Southern NJ forum for help verifying my coordinates. Everyone was so friendly overall and I learned a lot. If that long-ago cache owner hadn't spent 5 minutes to help guide me, I might have just given up then. So, b/c of him I was educated. He helped keep this hobby alive for me, a lonely little newbie.

Now I have Premium and enjoy most of the features, but I still use my little Intro app. I just don't cache enough to justify $10.00, yet I enjoy it when I can, and I like getting out from in front of my computer sometimes to go on mini adventures. But yeah, hey, I don't deserve to have the Intro App, right? It's killing the hobby, yes?

I'm going to guess you read the first post, and not the other 24 pages. I suppose I can't blame you. It's only happened about 10 times so far. :P The intro app existed in July, 2012? I don't believe it did. Please verify that you are using the "geocaching intro" app for ios or Android, and that you didn't start out using something else.

I'm going to guess you read the first post, and not the other 24 pages. I suppose I can't blame you. It's only happened about 10 times so far. :P The intro app existed in July, 2012? I don't believe it did. Please verify that you are using the "geocaching intro" app for ios or Android, and that you didn't start out using something else.

I'd be lying if I said I read the entire 24 pages :P I read the first page pretty much, lol. I'm definitely using the Geocaching Intro app for my iPhone. I've always used this app, and it's been about 2 years. I logged my first find using that app, and that was on 11 July 12.

I'd be lying if I said I read the entire 24 pages :P I read the first page pretty much, lol. I'm definitely using the Geocaching Intro app for my iPhone. I've always used this app, and it's been about 2 years. I logged my first find using that app, and that was on 11 July 12.

Thanks! I thought I'd better check. because about 10 offended people on those other 23 pages were shown to NOT be using "geocaching intro", which is the official name of it. And thanks cerberus1, now that you mention it, I think the ios app came out first. I know it came out way ahead of Droid on the paid app, but I could be wrong about it's intro coming out first.

I will say Darth_Tyress that is seems a little strange to me someone paying for a premium membership, and still using that intro app. But I suppose that doesn't necessarily mean you plonked down $30 for a whole year membership.

I will say Darth_Tyress that is seems a little strange to me someone paying for a premium membership, and still using that intro app. But I suppose that doesn't necessarily mean you plonked down $30 for a whole year membership.

You know, as I wrote that, I thought that. I didn't pay for my Premium membership, though. If I happen to get an iTunes gift card, I've thought about buying the app. I don't really spend $$ on any apps in general though, so it's not a Geocache-only thing as far as that goes. I am curious to give it a shot. Have you tried both? If you want to PM me instead of hijacking the thread that's cool :)

Darth - one advantage you had is that you verified your account. You said that the CO of the first DNF you had emailed you.

The major problem that this thread has hashed out is the app users (intro or not) that never validate their account on the website, so that they can never be contacted like you were.

Just a couple quibbles when the user gets within 30 feet of the cache for the first couple times, open another wizard helping them to search. Explain "stop looking at the GPS, look with your eyes". Maybe customized based on the cache size.

- when the user is near a cache with trackables, or logs a cache with trackables, take them to another wizard explaining trackables. Again, another couple pages of text dealing with travel bugs, coins, etc ...I don't think the right time to show the wizard is when they're approaching or near a cache. I think the right time to show the wizard is when they're first trying to view the cache data. I think that if you display it as they approach GZ, then they're more likely to just click through the wizard so they can get on with the game. You need to catch them at the beginning, rather than interrupting the game that is already in progress.

But otherwise, I like the idea of wizards that help explain geocaching to newbies using the Geocaching Intro app (and maybe Groundspeak's other smartphone apps).

Yes, I know I'm on the second page revisiting this but everytime you guys say wizard, I keep thinking of a crazy, white bearded, guy in blue robes with stars on them popping up in the middle of the screen with a high pitched voice screaming "WELCOME TO THE MAGICAL WORLD OF GEEEEEOOCACCCCCHHINNNNGG! I WILL BE YOUR GUIDE!"

God what is wrong with me

(I very badly screwed up the quotes, so why not just delete them?)

Edited by crazypig88

You know, as I wrote that, I thought that. I didn't pay for my Premium membership, though. If I happen to get an iTunes gift card, I've thought about buying the app. I don't really spend $$ on any apps in general though, so it's not a Geocache-only thing as far as that goes. I am curious to give it a shot. Have you tried both? If you want to PM me instead of hijacking the thread that's cool :)

Eh, that's not too bad of a hijack. :) And I didn't see this for like a day. I'll post it here, but if you don't post I'll try to remember to send a PM. The Groundspeak Knowledge books have a section on using the intro app with a premium membership vs. the features you could use if you got the full app. It appears to me, you're still restricted to only traditional caches!

Better check that forum software. I'm just posting because the last post has been listed as being from Narcissa for the last 24 hours (and I did see it), but it's obviously been deleted by a mod. Nice to know I'm not the only person that happens to. :laughing:

OK, on topic? I received 3 Tftc logs from the same noob on one of my caches last week. They had not validated their account, could not contact them. So I just deleted two of them. Of course I can't say for sure this was an intro app user, but the whole unvalidated account thing is well documented to happen with that app.

OK, on topic? I received 3 Tftc logs from the same noob on one of my caches last week. They had not validated their account, could not contact them. So I just deleted two of them. Of course I can't say for sure this was an intro app user, but the whole unvalidated account thing is well documented to happen with that app.

I see the multi logs from the unvalidated account intro app users quite often, it that a glitch or something? :unsure:

I see the multi logs from the unvalidated account intro app users quite often, it that a glitch or something? :unsure:

Sure is! It's known as the "user-error glitch." :P

I'm aware of a few other free apps, but the unvalidated account thing and multi logs seem to me to be limited to the intro app. It may just be a newbie kind of thing, seems the ones I have encountered only have a few finds and disappear. :anicute:

I'm aware of a few other free apps, but the unvalidated account thing and multi logs seem to me to be limited to the intro app. It may just be a newbie kind of thing, seems the ones I have encountered only have a few finds and disappear. :anicute:

Ah, now I see why I'm getting multiple logs. I couldn't understand what was happening.

Ah, now I see why I'm getting multiple logs. I couldn't understand what was happening.

Oh yeah, many smartphone users, often times rather inexperienced ones, don't think the log "went through", and post another. Pretty much started happening as soon as the apps came out. Because Lord knows none of them actually go home to a computer to log their finds. :P

Oh yeah, many smartphone users, often times rather inexperienced ones, don't think the log "went through", and post another. Pretty much started happening as soon as the apps came out. Because Lord knows none of them actually go home to a computer to log their finds. :P

Or look at the the online logs at all--either on a computer or their app(s)-- to realize they've logged multiple times. They "set it, and forget it" with a log, and never look back.

This makes me wonder about the idea of coding logs so that a "Found it" or other WIGAS log (Attended, Webcam photo taken, etc.) can't be logged more than once. This may step on the toes of the folks who like to log temporary caches at events, but it really will help button up the logging process for new users--don't leave room for errors by having the program be smarter than the user. :ph34r:

Or look at the the online logs at all--either on a computer or their app(s)-- to realize they've logged multiple times. They "set it, and forget it" with a log, and never look back.

I was going to mention that in that previous post, they're obviously not looking at the logs via any device. Do they not know how to? I currently don't have an official app, and when I did it was Windowsphone, but I know darn well you can read the logs on there. I like that line "some of these people might as well be playing angry birds on their phone" more and more all the time. :P

I was going to mention that in that previous post, they're obviously not looking at the logs via any device. Do they not know how to? I currently don't have an official app, and when I did it was Windowsphone, but I know darn well you can read the logs on there. I like that line "some of these people might as well be playing angry birds on their phone" more and more all the time. :P

It isn't a requirement on the iPhone version. You'd have to click "recent logs" to see them. Most newbies I've met just click a cache on the map, then click "navigate", then click to log it as found. They don't know to use the dropdown arrow to select a log for DNF, or know how or why to use NM or NA logs...or even TD or OM as an owner. So they just "plug and play", rather than having to see the cache page for description (helpful info like parking, hours of parks, or other keys to finding the cache) or the recent logs to see what is going on with the cache.

Rather than simply showing "Successfully submitted", it should take the app to the logbook so the finder can see their log at the top, and the other logs below. Then they'd see the connection to an actual record of the finds, including more descriptive logs to *ahem* inspire future non-acronym-only logs.

I also really think that having found it logs coded so that a user cannot log multiple finds on a cache would be very helpful. This isn't being said as a rant or complaint--I just think it is helpful to both the newer users to not have the mistaken option, and me as an owner to not have to delete a duplicate (or triplicate...) log(s) when someone submits too many finds.

They don't know to use the dropdown arrow to select a log for DNF, or know how or why to use NM or NA logs...

I also really think that having found it logs coded so that a user cannot log multiple finds on a cache would be very helpful. This isn't being said as a rant or complaint--I just think it is helpful to both the newer users to not have the mistaken option, and me as an owner to not have to delete a duplicate (or triplicate...) log(s) when someone submits too many finds.

The Trial app only allows Found It or Did Not Find (DNF) logs.

If they Validated their email, COs would have a chance to contact them and explain about duplicate logs -and how to delete them, should they happen...

I kinda like the idea, but there's a few Countries who are allowed multiple find counts for benchmarks, since this site's system only covers the US (though in the US they don't count as "finds") and there's still a couplea moving caches floating around.

I wouldn't be too miffed if find counts disappeared...

I kinda like the idea, but there's a few Countries who are allowed multiple find counts for benchmarks, since this site's system only covers the US (though in the US they don't count as "finds") and there's still a couplea moving caches floating around.

I wouldn't be too miffed if find counts disappeared...

Sounds like adding benchmarks for places outside of the US might be helpful. Either that, or use of Waymarking.com

But hey, the thing is, "finds" of benchmarks in the US don't count toward another smiley. So again, we're back to talking about locking out the option to log multiple times. More helpful to the game than the benefit of letting those who like to log things not listed on the geocaching.com website as a "find". I used the example in another thread: If I find a munthingy, an OpenCache, or an Atlas Quest, I wouldn't log that find on Geocaching.com to "record" that find. It can end up just being an excuse to pad numbers. (I'm not implying that is what you're doing, cerebrus)

So, the locking of another smiley for many "Found it" (or other "WIGAS" logs--attended, webcam taken, etc.) would be of benefit to new users. The way the game is played has evolved. The way people learn about how to play has also evolved. I think it would be helpful to owners and new users to not have the option to mistakenly enter another log that earns a smiley.

Now, before undies get bundled, let me say that this is not a veiled attempt to take away someone's fun (logging finds of temp caches at events, e.g.). It's simply about the topic at hand, and weighing the costs and benefits.

I'm going to change the focus here for a bit:

What are we giving to those who are seeking a new experience by downloading and using the intro app- what KIND of experience?

Noob_01 downloads the app, sees 100 caches within 5 miles and the closest one is just 600 feet away. WOW!

So, Noob_01 clicks "navigate" and proceeds to the center of the walmart lot, where there is nothing but a light pole and several parked cars. Having no experience and not knowing that he needs to "upskirt" the lamppost nor what a "micro" might be, he either walks away with a dumbfounded look or perhaps gets hassled by WM security about why he is prowling around the parked cars. At best, he figures out to lift the skirt and finds a film can and a piece of wet paper, "that's what geocaching is all about???," he says to himself as he tosses the film can on the ground.

In short, Noob_01 has a pretty poor "intro" experience.

With the state of geocaching as it is today, that is the noob's most likely experience. -sadly!

Is this the experience we want newcomers to have? Is the first impression of the app users on their first hunt perhaps "killing the game" as much as the trashed game-pieces?

The intro app needs to be limited -seriously limited- to caches that will both paint the game in a good light AND be an acceptable risk to the cache owners. NO other caches should be listed.

Suggestion 1: have an "opt in" system where cache owners can specifically request their cache (on an individual basis) be listed on the app. And this checkbox ONLY appears on small or larger conventional caches- NO MICROS, and no high difficulty. It would of course have to be up to the cache owner, but a really cool thing they could do is put some "handouts" in the cache, explaining the game.

Suggestion 2: let the local reviewers or local club members place a few caches in their respective areas (voluntary) specifically to be listed on the intro app. The reviewers and club members, hopefully, would place caches that give the game a good name.

Seriously, letting someone "self introduce" to this game is a prescription for trouble. Mentoring is in order. It can be done in an automated manner or it can be handled by volunteer members.

Nothing short of some kind of mentoring of newbies is going to solve the problems of geocaching today. -with or without a free app.

Edited by Confucius' Cat

I'm going to change the focus here for a bit:

What are we giving to those who are seeking a new experience by downloading and using the intro app- what KIND of experience?

Noob_01 downloads the app, sees 100 caches within 5 miles and the closest one is just 600 feet away. WOW!

So, Noob_01 clicks "navigate" and proceeds to the center of the walmart lot, where there is nothing but a light pole and several parked cars. Having no experience and not knowing that he needs to "upskirt" the lamppost nor what a "micro" might be, he either walks away with a dumbfounded look or perhaps gets hassled by WM security about why he is prowling around the parked cars. At best, he figures out to lift the skirt and finds a film can and a piece of wet paper, "that's what geocaching is all about???," he says to himself as he tosses the film can on the ground.

In short, Noob_01 has a pretty poor "intro" experience.

With the state of geocaching as it is today, that is the noob's most likely experience. -sadly!

Is this the experience we want newcomers to have? Is the first impression of the app users on their first hunt perhaps "killing the game" as much as the trashed game-pieces?

The intro app needs to be limited -seriously limited- to caches that will both paint the game in a good light AND be an acceptable risk to the cache owners. NO other caches should be listed.

Suggestion 1: have an "opt in" system where cache owners can specifically request their cache (on an individual basis) be listed on the app. And this checkbox ONLY appears on small or larger conventional caches- NO MICROS, and no high difficulty. It would of course have to be up to the cache owner, but a really cool thing they could do is put some "handouts" in the cache, explaining the game.

Suggestion 2: let the local reviewers or local club members place a few caches in their respective areas (voluntary) specifically to be listed on the intro app. The reviewers and club members, hopefully, would place caches that give the game a good name.

Seriously, letting someone "self introduce" to this game is a prescription for trouble. Mentoring is in order. It can be done in an automated manner or it can be handled by volunteer members.

Nothing short of some kind of mentoring of newbies is going to solve the problems of geocaching today. -with or without a free app.

I actually think they've done the best they can there. It most definitely shows traditional caches only, and there are further restrictions as far as them being found frequently, with no needs maintenance logs.

That being said, I think like a fraction of 1% of these people go on to become regular Geocachers. Although I do enjoy their 3 word or less, thumbed out from the cache site logs. Just kidding, actually, I don't enjoy them. Put me down for failed experiment. I hope that's not like too negative or anything. :ph34r:

The Intro App got us into Geocaching.

I was introduced to this awesome hobby by another rookie who thought I might like it. We went to the nearest urban cache and searched around until I finally spot it. I felt like I was in a spy thriller, searching around for a little object that everyone else walking around was totally oblivious to, and once I'd found a couple more was amazed at this little sub-culture with Caches hidden in several places I walk past every day.

After that first find I immediately went home and signed on for free to learn more. The first thing I discovered was that first one I found was a premium Cache, completely invisible and inaccessible to me as a free user, which annoyed me insanely at the time. The rookie that I found it with hadn't even realised he had a paid app (his gf had upgraded without him knowing), and didn't even know that there was free and premium services. He is also one of those users that has never signed onto Geocaching via the website, and plays entirely from his phone. After discussing it with my wife and doing a couple more free ones we were hooked and agreed to subscribe and pay for premium- we considered it a fairly good price for a year long hobby, and if we are still at it after that then even better.

Now we've found a few dozen Catches including Multis, Ghosts, Earths and Mysteries (solved but not collected yet)! We've got a GPS on the wife's phone and a 'Geo-kit' including a pen, tweezers, swag, handwash, tissues and torches. I've actively CITO'ed and currently have a handful of Trackables that we are touring about looking for somewhere good and safe to drop. I've also taken a lot of time and effort to individually message the owner of every Trackable we find is missing from its current location as it seems that most users don't seem to bother checking Trackable Inventories on Cache Descriptions or inform TB owners when they are MIA.

I'd like to say that despite still being just rookies we feel we've taken to the hobby as good as you'd expect, and if is wasn't for that free app we wouldn't be here right now doing out part to contribute to the site and community.

The free app is there to bring in more users, and unfortunately as with all things as you attract new members who are positive and contributive you will undoubtedly also attract casual Muggles, idiots, thieves and vandals. We always joke that the internet gives stupid people the ability to buy things, sadly it also gives them the ability to Geocache.

Despite this negative Cachers are not always the reason for vandalisms and lost TBs- we've seen several Caches 'hidden' in exceedingly poor places where every Muggle Dick & Tom could accidentally stumble upon it, and while most may read the Geocaching note outlining what its doing there most will also probably help themselves to anything that looks of any value inside before returning it. What looks the most valuable in a Cache? TBs and GeoCoins. If I showed any Muggle a pile of the average Swag we have come across and asked them what they thought was the most valuable out of the crayons, hairclips, rubbers, calling cards and bits of plastic tack they will go with the cool and unusual looking 'keyring' or valuable looking coin every time.

I think two simple things would improve both Cache & TB survivability. The first would be for an automated message to come up reminding you to log any TBs (with a 'what is a TB?' guide link) any time you log a Cache which is registered with TBs in its Inventory. The second is to ask Cachers to put more effort into hiding Caches (especially any which contain Swag), and that goes for both Cachers hiding and finders putting back again! These two simple acts will reduce looters and reminding the more absent minded Cachers to log that Trackable they just put in their pocket!

Brashell,

Your post is a great example of the desired outcome of the intro app. The frustration depicted in this topic is driven by the unintended consequences of the app which are far more noticeable. No one ever comments 'hey that guy is a great geocacher and he started with the intro app'. Thanks for posting the other side of the story.

I think two simple things would improve both Cache & TB survivability. The first would be for an automated message to come up reminding you to log any TBs (with a 'what is a TB?' guide link) any time you log a Cache which is registered with TBs in its Inventory. The second is to ask Cachers to put more effort into hiding Caches (especially any which contain Swag), and that goes for both Cachers hiding and finders putting back again! These two simple acts will reduce looters and reminding the more absent minded Cachers to log that Trackable they just put in their pocket!

Welcome!

But... The trial app does not show, or allow logging of TB's.

And, often TB's are not shown as being in the cache they are found in.

Otherwise, a great suggestion. :)

Welcome!

But... The trial app does not show, or allow logging of TB's.

And, often TB's are not shown as being in the cache they are found in.

Otherwise, a great suggestion. :)

Thank you for posting, Bear and Ragged, so I didn't show as the last post for a deleted by a mod post. :ph34r:

That is an excellent success story regarding the into app, and it's planned intent. But I often think such a story runs along the lines of spamming. Send out 100,000, and get like 2 positive hits. :P

The hoards of 3 word or less logs out there in the listings from people who never exceed 50 finds is what I'm talking about.

The amount of times I've seen people using the geocaching intro app log a DNF on a puzzle because they thought it was a traditional is crazy! I haven't had many caches go missing in the past few years but I always feel a bit on edge after I receive a log such as "come at me bro" or "fully sick" and wonder if the cache will be missing, damaged or not hidden back properly. I find the app handy if I'm out and about if I need to pass time, or logging a FTF directly after I've found it but the rest of the time geocaching.com and a good old GPS is the way to go. I think if they keep the app some sort of educational video or email verification needs to be implemented in order to try and reduce damage done to caches or TBs.

The amount of times I've seen people using the geocaching intro app log a DNF on a puzzle because they thought it was a traditional is crazy! I haven't had many caches go missing in the past few years but I always feel a bit on edge after I receive a log such as "come at me bro" or "fully sick" and wonder if the cache will be missing, damaged or not hidden back properly. I find the app handy if I'm out and about if I need to pass time, or logging a FTF directly after I've found it but the rest of the time geocaching.com and a good old GPS is the way to go. I think if they keep the app some sort of educational video or email verification needs to be implemented in order to try and reduce damage done to caches or TBs.

How do you log a DNF on a puzzle from the intro app? I thought it only showed traditionals.

How do you log a DNF on a puzzle from the intro app? I thought it only showed traditionals.

It does only show traditionals.

It does only show traditionals.

DNF's on puzzles from the clueless? I cannot say I have ever seen this. Find logs on Challenge caches (also ? caches) from the clueless? You bet 'ya. As a matter of fact a teenage cacher found one of my challenges caches for his first find, and took it with him and hid it in another park as his own cache. :huh:

Either way, these cannot possibly be intro app users. Paid app, or unauthorized free apps. We could, however, chalk it up to the unprecedented level of cluelessness exhibited by many of today's phone app newbies. I'm quite certain I never got a Tftc log from someone who found the first leg of my multi in 2005. :ph34r: