INTRO APP users are killing the hobby

I would hate to have to delete a spoiler "Found It" log then change to cache to PMO. The new cacher 98% chance will not know of the backdoor logging method, and will not be able to log thier find. That would be unfortunate (no sarcasm intended, truly unfortunate)

Add the backdoor logging info (with a link) to your cache description.

I would hate to have to delete a spoiler "Found It" log then change to cache to PMO. The new cacher 98% chance will not know of the backdoor logging method, and will not be able to log thier find. That would be unfortunate (no sarcasm intended, truly unfortunate)

Add the backdoor logging info (with a link) to your cache description.

Won't help if they can't see the cache page...

PS, I just went through all of my active caches, and I only have one log that sais "logged from free App". That finder only cached for 2 days back in October 2013, and has never visited Geocaching.com or validated his email. There may be other logs from the free app, but they were not so obvious.

Edited by Andronicus

I have just reached a dessision. If any of my caches have problems relating to the Free App, I will be changing all of my caches to PMO until the email issue is fixed. So far I have not had any problems. <cross_fingers>

The truth of the matter is, if you deleted their log, a) they'd probably never even notice, and B) even if their find count was reduced by one they'd probably be completely clueless as to why it happened or how to contact you about it, since they most likely have never visited the website or read any of the useful information therein.

What's the worst that could happen? It might actually prompt them to visit the website and actually LEARN something about Geocaching, and if they initiate contact with you at least you'd have a means of communication, which is more than you had before.

I have just reached a dessision. If any of my caches have problems relating to the Free App, I will be changing all of my caches to PMO until the email issue is fixed. So far I have not had any problems. <cross_fingers>

The truth of the matter is, if you deleted their log, a) they'd probably never even notice, and B) even if their find count was reduced by one they'd probably be completely clueless as to why it happened or how to contact you about it, since they most likely have never visited the website or read any of the useful information therein.

What's the worst that could happen? It might actually prompt them to visit the website and actually LEARN something about Geocaching, and if they initiate contact with you at least you'd have a means of communication, which is more than you had before.

What's the worst that could happen? Probably this:

"I found this last night and some group got on here and deleted my find. Do it to me again and I'll search all their finds and do same to them. What's up with that crap"

Of course, this comment sounds like they have no idea who deleted the FInd.

What's the worst that could happen? Probably this:

"I found this last night and some group got on here and deleted my find. Do it to me again and I'll search all their finds and do same to them. What's up with that crap"

Of course, this comment sounds like they have no idea who deleted the FInd.

And probably no idea an actual person hid the cache!

What the heck I downloaded the free app for fun with a made up email address and it went through fine. The help section links you to youtube not even the geocaching site. What the heck? That seems pretty stupid if you ask me. Not even getting them to the site at all. I was checking to see how many of my own caches show up and there are way too many for my liking. I have had some major problems with the new app so I am starting to archive mine as it is just too much work to have to go check on the DNF's and then get there and the cache is right where its supposed to be. Too many wolf calls. The ones remaining I think I will make Premium even tho I hate to do that. I would be more than glad to give hints and help a new cacher out and have done so many times but there is no way to contact them through the new app. I hate that. By having their logs deleted for leaving too much info in them will deter them from caching I would think rather than getting them into the game. Seems to me it will hurt more than help.

I have had some major problems with the new app so I am starting to archive mine as it is just too much work to have to go check on the DNF's and then get there and the cache is right where its supposed to be. Too many wolf calls.

I thought the problem that people had was them logging finds they didn't find, short logs and other mischief. Actually the main complaint is not having a way to try to correct the issues. However you are complaining about when people post Do Not Finds when they don't find the cache. I am not really getting the problem there maybe some sort of disconnect here. Due to my untreated ADD and my noobishness I post a lot of DNF's. They are not the same as saying its not there and never do I assume that it is gone. Now if they were posting NM all the time I think I might complain about wolf calls. Are you getting a flood of DNFs?

Edited by giddeanx

Got our first "One more cache for me!" log the other day. First thing I did was try to contact the cacher about the fine art of writing unique logs - not possible, he's unvalidated. Second thought in my head: Maybe I'd better go check on this cache in case they rehid it better, or put candy or garbage in it, or dropped off a trackable they don't know how to log.

That's one extra maintenance trip for me!

(Good thing it's a five-minute walk from my house :) )

I have had some major problems with the new app so I am starting to archive mine as it is just too much work to have to go check on the DNF's and then get there and the cache is right where its supposed to be. Too many wolf calls.

I thought the problem that people had was them logging finds they didn't find, short logs and other mischief. Actually the main complaint is not having a way to try to correct the issues. However you are complaining about when people post Do Not Finds when they don't find the cache. I am not really getting the problem there maybe some sort of disconnect here. Due to my untreated ADD and my noobishness I post a lot of DNF's. They are not the same as saying its not there and never do I assume that it is gone. Now if they were posting NM all the time I think I might complain about wolf calls. Are you getting a flood of DNFs?

DNF's with a needs maintenance because its not there. DNF with area is nothing but weeds should be archived. Logs saying exactly where the cache is located. Third post from corner, etc etc. with a note saying coords are off by 10ft with a needs maintenace log saying coords should be updated. All sorts of nice logs that you can't respond to until you go to the cache site and double check. Needs maintenance because there was no pen in cache so couldn't sign the log. Cache was a micro. Have deleted several logs and have never deleted a log before until now. Don't like doing that but felt it necessary to maybe wake them up. Has taken the "fun" out of having caches placed for me. Won't be putting out any more new ones unless they are premium caches. Hate doing that too as not all cachers need or want the premium membership. Hate to cut their fun out but... feel that's its necessary now.

DNF's with a needs maintenance because its not there. DNF with area is nothing but weeds should be archived. Logs saying exactly where the cache is located. Third post from corner, etc etc. with a note saying coords are off by 10ft with a needs maintenace log saying coords should be updated. All sorts of nice logs that you can't respond to until you go to the cache site and double check. Needs maintenance because there was no pen in cache so couldn't sign the log. Cache was a micro. Have deleted several logs and have never deleted a log before until now. Don't like doing that but felt it necessary to maybe wake them up. Has taken the "fun" out of having caches placed for me. Won't be putting out any more new ones unless they are premium caches. Hate doing that too as not all cachers need or want the premium membership. Hate to cut their fun out but... feel that's its necessary now.

PMO worked for us. I used to dislike PMO listings, but it came down to that after I had to archive a few where GZ was trashed. :anibad:

We just refuse to place any more traditionals. It's just not worth the hassle.

That's kinda where we're at.

But as we're also slowly archiving hides, we probably won't be placing new.

- Raising the D/T or cache type doesn't fix the problem, but punishes some who simply don't know any better and I believe making 'em pmo rewards a company who's (it's been a year on this unvalidated thing...) not listening.

Edited by cerberus1

- Raising the D/T or cache type doesn't fix the problem, but punishes some who simply don't know any better and I believe making 'em pmo rewards a company who's (it's been a year on this unvalidated thing...) not listening.

When something goes so long with so little activity it is hard to conclude anything other than that either Groundspeak doesn't listen or Groundspeak doesn't care. And we know what happens to companies that stop caring about their customers.

You just need to find a new hobby.

Still no issues with new users with HUNDREDS of caches placed...ALL non-premium traditional caches. And this is Florida...not exactly the pinnacle of disciplined citizens.

Edited by TheWeatherWarrior

Still no issues with new users with HUNDREDS of caches placed...ALL non-premium traditional caches. And this is Florida...not exactly the pinnacle of disciplined citizens.

Why? I still really enjoy geocaching, and there's an easy work-around to the muggle problem.

When something goes so long with so little activity it is hard to conclude anything other than that either Groundspeak doesn't listen or Groundspeak doesn't care. And we know what happens to companies that stop caring about their customers.

GS doesn't have to listen to the current, long-time customers. They already HAVE US. They are making it as easy as possible for the new App users. I think the stock market traders call it churn and burn. Get as many new users as possible to make the potential advertising revenue increase.

Why? I still really enjoy geocaching, and there's an easy work-around to the muggle problem.

You do still enjoy the game. Hard to tell.

GS doesn't have to listen to the current, long-time customers. They already HAVE US. They are making it as easy as possible for the new App users. I think the stock market traders call it churn and burn. Get as many new users as possible to make the potential advertising revenue increase.

They HAD (past tense) me. I let my premium membership lapse because I'm struggling to maintain interest in a game that I see as being little more than a race to the bottom. So it may be "churn and burn". I don't suppose Groundspeak care, as long as people are joining at a faster rate than they are leaving. For their sake I hope they don't race too near the bottom, to the point their apps get buried in reviews saying things like "the app works fine, but why anyone would want to hunt soggy film pots behind signs is beyond me".

ETA: My avatar here says I'm still premium. I have no idea why that is.

Edited by team tisri

They HAD (past tense) me. I let my premium membership lapse because I'm struggling to maintain interest in a game that I see as being little more than a race to the bottom. So it may be "churn and burn". I don't suppose Groundspeak care, as long as people are joining at a faster rate than they are leaving. For their sake I hope they don't race too near the bottom, to the point their apps get buried in reviews saying things like "the app works fine, but why anyone would want to hunt soggy film pots behind signs is beyond me".

ETA: My avatar here says I'm still premium. I have no idea why that is.

I believe that you remain premium in the forums until you log out and log back in. So you still have access to OT. ;)

I hope everyone who has a traditional cache that has a container big enough to hold trackables will make their cache PMO as longs as intro app users are able to find it without e-mail validation. Lots of trackables have gone missing in my area because of intro app users, and the "cachers" who took them can't be contacted.

And even when you are able to contact a cacher about bugs, there's a chance they won't respond the way you like or respond at all.

Had somebody take a bug I placed a few yew years ago, and logged it saying they will place it in another cache. Long story short they didn't log it properly, and are no longer active. So learned my lesson there.

Bugs go missing in PMO caches as well, it's a global issue

And even when you are able to contact a cacher about bugs, there's a chance they won't respond the way you like or respond at all.

It's definitely true bugs get missing in PMO caches as well, but then they get stolen by muggles or cachers, but at least you can give it a try to contact cachers in case someone just forgot to log.

There is nothing we can do about people who steal trackables, but there is something we can do about people who know nothing about trackables, people who use the intro-app...

The first thing to do is to educate them, since we can't do this ourselves because we can't contact them, Groundspeak has to do this. Groundspeak isn't doing this, so the only solution to make sure the intro app-users aren't making trackables disappear is making traditional caches PMO.

It's definitely true bugs get missing in PMO caches as well, but then they get stolen by muggles or cachers, but at least you can give it a try to contact cachers in case someone just forgot to log.

There is nothing we can do about people who steal trackables, but there is something we can do about people who know nothing about trackables, people who use the intro-app...

The first thing to do is to educate them, since we can't do this ourselves because we can't contact them, Groundspeak has to do this. Groundspeak isn't doing this, so the only solution to make sure the intro app-users aren't making trackables disappear is making traditional caches PMO.

Quite a few believe this. Another just a day or two ago...

A person can have the full app and be a premium member without ever accessing the site, leaving a contact email address.

A person can have the full app and be a premium member without ever accessing the site, leaving a contact email address.

And since much of the problem for the users of this app is becoming a premium member instead of getting the full (now "pro") app, good luck with the "make 'em pmo" theory. :laughing:

Over here becoming a premium member isn't as easy for the intro app users. Lots of them are children who will never become a premium member since they don't have (access to) a credit card. They just try the app for fun. They often have no intention either to do it for longer period, but one cache with trackables is enough to make the trackables disappear.

Same thing goes for a lot of adults by the way, credit cards and/or paypal aren't as common to most people here as they are in the US. An example: often cachers (the real ones) ask on Dutch forums how they can become a premium member since they don't have a credit card and they would like an alternative way of paying for a membership.

I'm glad there are problems with intro app users who want to upgrade the app and end up with a premium membership instead of a full app. Then they get disappointed and hopefully start reading the info on this website. Info they should have read before becoming any type of member, info they should have gotten before getting access to our geocaches and trackables.

And since much of the problem for the users of this app is becoming a premium member instead of getting the full (now "pro") app, good luck with the "make 'em pmo" theory. :laughing:

Yeah, I'm convinced that's what happened to the person with 12 finds who cluelessly double logged one of my caches the other day. I was expecting to see "not a validated member" when I went to the profile, instead I was surprised to see "premium member". Or was I? :P

I was just re-assessing the difficulty level of one of my caches,and saw this log

:) Found it 06/07/2014

Really hard-to-find use the Compass feature on your Geocaching app

That is this cacher's only find.

Than there was this one by an un-verified user

:) Found it Found it 06/07/2014

Found a necklace left a trackable

Ummm... Took necklace and left a trackable, so you didn't make a trade, just took a necklace?

Edited by Andronicus

I hate to bring this thread back to the front page, but what difficulty does a cache need to be to not show up in the beginner app?

It's been updated at least once, but the only info I have is when it was last mentioned :

Suggested caches include this filtering:

Traditionals only

5 mile radius of user's location

No premium member caches (unless the user is premium)

Terrain 1-3

Difficulty 1-2

Small, Regular, Large, and Micro (only D1-1.5)

Caches without NM or NA logs

Caches found in the last 300 days

Once the caches have been flagged as good for a newbie, they are then sorted by:

Last found date

Size (large>small>micro)

Favorite points (highest to lowest

- With 'em still able to find 2/3s, looks like puzzles and multis may be a good bet.

Oh, and pmo...

Edited by cerberus1

I hate to bring this thread back to the front page, but what difficulty does a cache need to be to not show up in the beginner app?

It's been updated at least once, but the only info I have is when it was last mentioned :

Suggested caches include this filtering:

•Caches without NM or NA logs

- With 'em still able to find 2/3s, looks like puzzles and multis may be a good bet.

Oh, and pmo...

Why not log NM with a note saying this is just to keep off intro app users?

The red cross will not deter experienced cachers, unless there's a string of DNFs.

I was just re-assessing the difficulty level of one of my caches,and saw this log

:) Found it 06/07/2014

Really hard-to-find use the Compass feature on your Geocaching app

That is this cacher's only find.

Than there was this one by an un-verified user

:) Found it Found it 06/07/2014

Found a necklace left a trackable

Ummm... Took necklace and left a trackable, so you didn't make a trade, just took a necklace?

Do intro app users have guidelines to read within the app? If not they can't be expected to know how the game works. If Groundspeak have provided an app that lets people play the game without understanding how the game is supposed to be played it's pointless to blame the new players.

Sometimes when I've told people about geocaching they assume the point of the game is to take the cache away and hide it somewhere else. If new players think that's the idea and the app doesn't educate them otherwise, how can they be blamed for doing just that?

Terrain 1-3

•Difficulty 1-2

OK, so it looks like my cache that I have changed to 2.5:2.5 will stop showing up.

Have you verified that, or is that more of a question?

Here's an idea. Have another player write and use a bot that posts NM's to all your caches. :blink:

I seriously have an insignificant number of intro app logs on my caches. You know how *I* keep them away? If I'm not mistaken, I do not currently own a cache that is less than .20 miles from parking. And that includes the one in Niagara Falls with 700 finds that is part of an "earn a Geocoin trail", and a monitored cache on cacherstats.com. They're just not not even hitting that one.

Edited by Mr.Yuck

Do intro app users have guidelines to read within the app?

For some enlightenment I downloaded the Intro App onto my iPhone. It starts with the Geocaching Logo with a link to the

video. You are not forced to watch the video but the link is very obvious.

At the bottom of the same page are two buttons so you can connect with Facebook or connect with Geocaching. I went ahead and clicked connect with Geocaching and made an account for my daughter giving an email I am not currently using.

The next screen is a caution page stating that Geocaching can be dangerous... Geocache at your own risk. You have to click I understand to move on. And then poof I am looking at the map of the local area.

I checked the email I used for the test. In it was a welcome email and an email requesting that I verify my account.

So no, no guidelines. However a friendly tutorial video is provided but isn't forced. They do try to get you to verify your email but isn't required before you go searching. The only thing you are forced to read is the warning that Geocaching can be dangerous.

For some enlightenment I downloaded the Intro App onto my iPhone. It starts with the Geocaching Logo with a link to the

At the bottom of the same page are two buttons so you can connect with Facebook or connect with Geocaching. I went ahead and clicked connect with Geocaching and made an account for my daughter giving an email I am not currently using.

The next screen is a caution page stating that Geocaching can be dangerous... Geocache at your own risk. You have to click I understand to move on. And then poof I am looking at the map of the local area.

I checked the email I used for the test. In it was a welcome email and an email requesting that I verify my account.

So no, no guidelines. However a friendly tutorial video is provided but isn't forced. They do try to get you to verify your email but isn't required before you go searching. The only thing you are forced to read is the warning that Geocaching can be dangerous.

It sounds like anyone disinclined to watch a video is thrust into the game with no guidelines at all, other than that geocaching can be dangerous. Small wonder that some people don't get what it's about, that swag isn't a prize for finding the cache, that caches are hidden by real people rather than the Cache Fairy or some faceless corporation, and that the idea of the game is to sign the log and put the cache back where you found it.

Links to videos are all well and good but I'm sure I'm not the only one who mentally switches off any time I'm invited to watch a video of unknown length that's probably going to consist of seeing someone talking when I could have read a transcript in a small fraction of the time.

Did a series of eight caches along a very nice rail trail. Six of them were out in the open. One did not have the cover properly attached. The last three cachers on those six have a combine cache find of 23 finds. None of them have visited geocaching.com. I guess that makes them app users? Not a good sign when cachers do not rehide the caches.

- So the app makes sure Groundspeak's covered on any liability issues, but could care less about the rest of us?

Without our caches there'd be no app...

- So the app makes sure Groundspeak's covered on any liability issues, but could care less about the rest of us?

Well they do mention the CO when you are logging your find. There is no default message now.

Nice find! Now use this space to share your story and say thanks to the geocache creator. Pro tip: Try not to leave any spoilers in your log!

Actually I have to say the interface seems better than the paid app. The interface is very clean. The description of the cache is right out front and you don't have to hit a button to see it. Also it is more difficult to accidentally make a Found It log.

They also have quite a bit of helpful information underneath Hint on the cache page.

They have a link to the

video as well as the
video. Then they go through 4 steps of finding a cache.

Sign the Physical Logbook

Add your Geocaching username an the date to the logbook to prove you found the geocache.

Trade Items If You Want

Make sure you trade equal or up and keep all items safe and legal.

Replace the Geocache

Put the geocache back exactly how you found it so others will have the same experience.

Log Your Find

Use your app to write a log to let others know you found it and increase your find count.

All in all it seems to me that this type of information is much more accessible than on the paid app.

Edited by giddeanx

Well they do mention the CO when you are logging your find. There is no default message now.

Nice find! Now use this space to share your story and say thanks to the geocache creator. Pro tip: Try not to leave any spoilers in your log!

If the "that's one more find from me" text has been removed from ios app, that's the first I've heard of it. And I had heard it was only present in the ios app, and NOT the Android app.

Nice they give a "pro tip" to not leave spoilers, but at that exact moment, 75%+ of the time, what they enter into that "space to share their story" will consist of two words or less. :unsure:

Edited by Mr.Yuck

Did a series of eight caches along a very nice rail trail. Six of them were out in the open. One did not have the cover properly attached. The last three cachers on those six have a combine cache find of 23 finds. None of them have visited geocaching.com. I guess that makes them app users? Not a good sign when cachers do not rehide the caches.

I guess they were under the impression that caches get rehidden by "the Cache Fairy or some faceless corporation."

If the "that's one more find from me" text has been removed from ios app, that's the first I've heard of it. And I had heard it was only present in the ios app, and NOT the Android app.

Nice they give a "pro tip" to not leave spoilers, but at that exact moment, 99% of the time, what they enter into that "space to share their story" will consist of two words or less. :unsure:

I was testing the iOS app and the "that's one more find from me" is no longer present.

I was testing the iOS app and the "that's one more find from me" is no longer present.

Thanks! Call me crazy, but that's the first I've heard of that being removed. Probably a move to placate the forum ranters, but yet at the same time not publicly acknowledge their ranting. :lol:

You quoted me, although I edited my post. I went a little hyperbolic, and said "99% of them are going to enter 2 words or less in the "share your story" field to post their find to Geocaching.com. I edited that to say 75%, that sounds about right. Of course how many of them know they are uploading that (generally extremely lame) log to a website? Who knows whom they might be sending it to. The Cache Fairy, perhaps? :ph34r:

Relative Newbie asking a question thrown up by a comment earlier up thread, hope that's OK. Someone commented that trackables shouldn't be swapped for swag. Though I've never found a trackable, I wasn't aware of this and could have committed this sin. Could someone comment, thanks.

(PS My history - joined several years ago, enjoyed a few weeks' hunting (mostly DNFs as we were very very green back then), got cancer, got better, got back into it about a month ago. Me and the 5yr old are working through all the traditionals we can see - not premium members - as the swag idea keeps her going. So experienced setters not doing any more traditionals for us cheapskates would be sad. My story also shows why people may breeze in and blow out quickly, though I suspect am in a minority).

trackables shouldn't be swapped for swag. Though I've never found a trackable, I wasn't aware of this and could have committed this sin. Could someone comment, thanks.

Trackables are a side game, and not swag, or trades.

Unfortunately, a good many cache owners, especially of "hotels", use language like, "please only take one if you leave one", which helps drive the sense of the TB as swag.

Example: I once placed a small trading cache. It started with 3 fine trade items. The FTF took one, left nothing (apparently assuming that's some kind of "right" attached to FTF). The next finder took one item, left trackable. The next finder took the trackable, one trade item, left 2 TBs. The next finder took 2 TBs. Cache now empty of anything but the log. The last cacher, who found a cache with a log and 2 TBs, and took both TBs leaving nothing, behaved appropriately. The other finders ripped off the cache, taking swag, leaving no swag.

Edited by palmetto
trackables shouldn't be swapped for swag. Though I've never found a trackable, I wasn't aware of this and could have committed this sin. Could someone comment, thanks.

Trackables are a side game, and not swag, or trades.

Unfortunately, a good many cache owners, especially of "hotels", use language like, "please only take one if you leave one", which helps drive the sense of the TB as swag.

Example: I once placed a small trading cache. It started with 3 fine trade items. The FTF took one, left nothing (apparently assuming that's some kind of "right" attached to FTF). The next finder took one item, left trackable. The next finder took the trackable, one trade item, left 2 TBs. The next finder took 2 TBs. Cache now empty of anything but the log. The last cacher, who found a cache with a log and 2 TBs, and took both TBs leaving nothing, behaved appropriately. The other finders ripped off the cache, taking swag, leaving no swag.

This is a very common scenario...almost normal.

I have no idea how to turn the tide regarding trade items.