New cache in Lawrence

Guest Todd Svec

Guest Todd Svec

Yeah! My wishes are coming true. Two more in the past week!!! I took my dad on the latest trip, he really liked it. It's funny how once you get in to this hobby, you start keeping an eye out for suitable locations. I took a lot of mental notes on this trip, especially on the way back since we got off the highway.

Guest Steve McGinnis

Todd, keep on the lookout for places between Overland Park and Fort Scott, as I said previously, I have four made up, one for the Mine Creek Monument, and three others for up north of there. Have you ever been to the aviary down around 159th or some where in there. As you drive south, there is a sigh. I don't know if it is private or State, and if they would allow a cache to be put on the property to let more people know about it. Do you live any where close to, or do you even know what I am talking about?

Steve

------------------

smcginnis@terraworld.net

home 20: N 37 50.532

W094 42.371

Guest Paul Lamble

Steve,

Are you talking about the Overland Park Arboretum at 179th Street? I'm already talking to the people there about placing a couple of caches. I've got two pretty good places in mind. My son did his Eagle Scout project there, so I'm in pretty good with those folks. I don't think I'll have any trouble getting permission.

I'll let you know.

Paul Lamble

Guest Steve McGinnis

Paul, yes, I think that is the place I was talking about. Just off the highway a block or two. I'll let you work on that one then, and I'll find some where else. I have two sons who both made Eagle Scout. Congratulations on your achievment, and his. I say your, because I felt that I worked as hard as my boys to get their Eagles.

Steve

------------------

smcginnis@terraworld.net

home 20:

N 37 50.532

W094 42.371

Guest Paul Lamble

Steve,

Thanks for the congrats. Now if I may brag . . .

All 3 of my sons are Eagles. In fact, two of their eagle projects are very near the caches at Shawnee Mission Park (prairie restoration and trail construction). I know what you mean about the hard work dad puts into that achievement. (We're a scouting family. My father is an eagle, I and two brothers are eagles too.)

As for the Arboretum, I spoke with the boss lady there, and she was very supportive of the idea. She asked me to write up an informal proposal so she can think it through. I'm hoping to place 3 caches there, roughly following a 4 mile loop trail. I told her that I would place them on a trial basis for about a year, thinking that would make them more acceptable at the start. Then, assuming they cause no trouble, I'd imagine they'd be permanent.

Don't you have some new caches in the works?

Paul Lamble

Plamble@aol.com

Guest Steve McGinnis

Paul: Yes, I have four caches all made up here in my living room. I am trying to place them along 69 highway, between Overland Park and Fort Scott. I feel If I can give people a cache trail to follow, they can make a trip just geocaching, and seeing new places and learning some history. I only made it to Star. Was sorry I didn't finish. I think that is why I make sure both my sons made

Eagle. I was the Cub Master, Webelos Leader, and Scout Master, for probably fifteen years.

Steve

Guest turken

Steve/Paul-

Ahh! the Arboretum! Wonderful place to put a cache or three... I can't believe I hadn't thought of it yet. I really like some of the trails there. Especially since that's where I proposed to my girlfriend (now fiancee & geocaching co-pilot) this past december. We went to the luminary walk. It was perfect--a romantic walk in the woods by candlelight... anyway...

BTW, congrats on all the Eagle Scout accomplishments... I'm a quasi Eagle right now (the paperwork says I am, but I never had my court of honor... long story)

Anyway, I look forward to seeing what you do next!

Logan

Guest tocamara

I can't believe Paul beat me to it! I love the Arboretum, my wife and I have been going for about a year. I had my cache all made for about a month and then what happens my procrastination gets met with Paul's three hunts! Oh well...hid it anyway. I'm also looking to hide near Hillsdale lake off 169, and possibly Loose Park near the Rose garden..will see.

Guest Paul Lamble

Well, you could have beat me easily. I dithered and debated, scouted out possible sites, and such. I also hesitated talking to the park manager to get permission to place them, but when I did, she loved the idea. Then I showed her where I hid them and she loved it even more! She plans to use geocaching when youth groups visit the Arboretum. This really has worked out well.

PL