Getting "credit" for your own posted waymarks used in someone elses scavenger hunts

I have been Waymarking my hometown for several years, so I have posted waymarks all over the metropolitan area. I always "visit" my own waymark posts as soon as they are approved and published.

I see many of my own waymarks being chosen by others who create scavenger hunts near my hometown. Today I looked at a short scavenger hunt where seven of the ten waymarks were my own posted waymarks. This is my first attempt at scavenger hunting, so I went out and found the three waymarks posted by others.

To my disappointment when I joined the scavenger hunt, I do not get "credit" for my seven previously logged visits to my own waymarks. This is a huge disappointment to me. I have several reactions to this.

First: I would expect Groundspeak programmers to know how to match waymarks to the owners when the owners join any given hunt and give "credit" for their previous posting. After all, Groundspeak already monitors how many you have posted, how many you have found, and what the stats are on all of them.

Second: regardless of anyone's opinion about logging your own posts, I find it repelling to be forced to log a repeat visit to my own waymark. I would not be surprised if some of my waymarks are used in more than one hunt, so would I (or any other scavenger hunter) have to make repeat logs on the same waymark in order to log them if used in different scavenger hunts?

Third: I have mixed feelings about people using my waymarks for their hunts. Why don't people who want to create a hunt have to do the hours of work of finding, researching, writing and submitting their own waymarks for their hunts? It is the hunt creators who are the scavengers, not the finders of the waymarks. It's easy to surf a list of existing waymarks and tap a few keys to create a hunt listing as compared to having to hustle around and invest the time and effort in creating the waymarks initially. Scavenger hunts are a lazy man's Lucky 7s. This all said, I am proud to see my posted waymarks being used in scavenger hunts. Like I said at the beginning, I have mixed feelings.

Here is my questions to the forum: Is multiple logging of a waymark the only method available for getting "credit" for a scavenger hunt waymark owned by the person entering it as a find for the hunt? How can I participate in other people's scavenger hunts that uses my own waymarks when I have previously logged my own visit already?

First the other Waymarkers did not choose to add your Waymarks to their scavenger hunts, the system adds them "randomly" based on the criteria the which was used when the scavenger hunt was created. Thus it has nothing to do with your work or their work, they are existing Waymarks that were available within the radius of the center point for the hunt. Thus no need to have mixed feeling, it is not a lazy lucky 7 nor a reason to feel honored, it is is the luck of the draw.

The fact that it does not credit you for waymarks you have have already posted a visit to whether your own or someone else's was intentional. The intent was that no one would get a headstart on a scavenger hunt thus your prior visits do not count. You are expected to revisit the waymark to have it credited to the scavenger hunt, this is by design. Note: your revisits will not increase your visit counts but will credit the scavenger hunt.

Edited by BruceS

First the other Waymarkers did not choose to add your Waymarks to their scavenger hunts, the system adds them "randomly" based on the criteria the which was used when the scavenger hunt was created. Thus it has nothing to do with your work or their work, they are existing Waymarks that were available within the radius of the center point for the hunt. Thus no need to have mixed feeling, it is not a lazy lucky 7 nor a reason to feel honored, it is is the luck of the draw.

The fact that it does not credit you for waymarks you have have already posted a visit to whether your own or someone else's was intentional. The intent was that no one would get a headstart on a scavenger hunt thus your prior visits do not count. You are expected to revisit the waymark to have it credited to the scavenger hunt, this is by design. Note: your revisits will not increase your visit counts but will credit the scavenger hunt.