Augmented Reality Cache

geoing nuts

I have been thinking it would be cool to create a daytime "night cache" that utilizes a smartphone augmented reality app. I am sure this can be done but I have no idea how to go about creating it or the appropriate app to use. Ideally, it would be an app that that can run on both iPhone and Droid platforms. For those unaware, augmented reality uses the devices camera and gps to give additional info on the devices screen as it scans its surroundings. The cache I have in mind would be similar to a night cache but instead of using a flashlight to locate fire tack or reflectors you will use your devices camera to navigate. The camera will superimpose arrows at specific locations or landmarks for navigation and would possibly point directly at a well concealed cache. What are your thoughts?

Under the listing guidelines, geocaches cannot require the downloading of any software or application in order to be found. Exceptions are made for certain approved programs, for example, the app that facilitates Intercaches. You may want to look into making an Intercache as it's close (but by no means identical) to the experience you're describing. You could also identify the specific free application(s) that would work like you described, and write to Geocaching HQ to get a ruling on whether they're acceptable.

Under the listing guidelines, geocaches cannot require the downloading of any software or application in order to be found. Exceptions are made for certain approved programs, for example, the app that facilitates Intercaches. You may want to look into making an Intercache as it's close (but by no means identical) to the experience you're describing. You could also identify the specific free application(s) that would work like you described, and write to Geocaching HQ to get a ruling on whether they're acceptable.

What is an Intercache??

Is Wherigo ever going to get an update? Using the camera would be a great add-on!

Here is the most active thread about Intercaches. The developer monitors that thread.

Definitely not what I'm looking for but I may try my hand at creating one of these for my area. Thanks for the link. lots of useful info on that thread. i am still looking for info on how to actually implement an Augmented Reality (AR) style of cache. I did forget about that pesky guideline though. No biggie. I could create a traditional multi and give users the option of an AR type of adventure. They could choose how to play the cache and the feed back from those who choose the AR style would be invaluable.

In theory, it could be done in a mobile web page using javascript to navigate. Wouldn't be very hack-proof, but you could dynamically draw an arrow on the webpage, without the live camera view. At certain locations you could trigger events - basically a web-based Wherigo. Or, effectively, what Intercaches are designed to emulate :)

It would be neat if the phone would give access to show the camera view on a webpage, but there are so many security concerns with that, it's unlikely to happen...

ETA: Although... you could do a photo-type version of that. You could program the page to upload a photo snapshot along with the gps coordinates and orientation (if the mobile browser supports them), then the server could return an image overlaid with arrows, or whatever AR content you want to add. If you analyze the image for content, you could do photo scavenger hunts and whatnot that unlock the next steps... hmm...

Edited by thebruce0
What are your thoughts?

Here's a thread about a very similar thing:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=309256

It referred to a "3D Film Canister" that had coordinates on the back. The film canister exists only within a smartphone App, and only in a 3D space that "pops up" in augmented reality while the phone's camera is pointing at the special "barcode" page. This could be compared to your idea, it's basically the same thing as far as having an App and using it on a cache page goes. What if you used the App's barcodes instead of fire tacks... have arrows & info pop up in 3D space...? If that's OK, you can use the exact App talked about in that Topic.

If you contact that Cache Owner, you may receive the finer points about how to get such a web page approved. Good luck!

Edited by kunarion

Under the listing guidelines, geocaches cannot require the downloading of any software or application in order to be found. Exceptions are made for certain approved programs...

You said require. Could the OP-or anyone really-make an unknown cache with two ways to solve the puzzle. Say one is this augmented reality idea, and the other is a secret code. Now if the code is extremely hard-not impossible, but very difficult-to solve, then would it be allowed? There are two ways of getting the co-ords, it is not required to use either way....