More fun with my Oregon 650

I was the one who somehow managed to crack the display on his brand new Oregon 650 a few months ago. Garmin replaced it with a new unit, for a price. Now the rubber flap that protects the USB port has broken off.

I had attached the unit to a charging cable overnight to recharge the battery pack. In the morning, I disconnected it from the cable, attached the carabiner, and went off to look for some caches. When I went to attach the unit to the USB cable in the car, I saw that the rubber flap was completely gone.

After returning home that evening, I discovered the rubber flap sitting on the shelf near the USB cable. It had apparently gotten separated from the unit when I disconnected it that morning. I have no idea how that happened, since nothing unusual had occurred that I remembered.

Duct tape to the rescue! I cut a small piece of duct tape and used it to create a "hinge" that allows me to still use the flap and (hopefully) will keep the flap from getting lost.

Garmin%2520Oregon%2520650%2520port%2520patch.jpg

Has anyone else had this happen, or heard of this happening, or am I the undisputed champion of klutz when it comes to these units?

--Larry

You may feel that you are the "king of klutz".... but I know quite a few that will contest your throne. :)

Just posting to suggest dumping the duct tape. Duct tape adhesive is temporary, at best. Get some waterproof "rubberized" tape. I think it will last longer -- it usually has a far superior adhesive base.

Not electrician's tape... that isn't the stuff, either.

You may feel that you are the "king of klutz".... but I know quite a few that will contest your throne. :)

"King of klutz" is one title I'll gladly relinquish. It can get expensive to maintain that distinction. :P

Just posting to suggest dumping the duct tape. Duct tape adhesive is temporary, at best. Get some waterproof "rubberized" tape. I think it will last longer -- it usually has a far superior adhesive base.

Not electrician's tape... that isn't the stuff, either.

Thanks for the suggestion. I figured duct tape wouldn't be a permanent solution, but it's all I had on hand when I needed a quick fix, and it is holding for the time being. Until it gets wet, presumably. I'll look for some waterproof tape the next time I'm at the hardware store.

--Larry

Another testimonial to the deteriorating quality of Garmin cases.

I'm not really sure whether overall quality has gone down, but my luck certainly has. I've had my Oregon 550t since that model first came out, and other than a few light scratches on the display and a half-worn power button, it's still going strong.

--Larry

For a long time now Garmin has used rubber covers that are attached by a thin piece of rubber. If your not careful you could rip the cover off of even the much praised 60csx. Remember the rubber band that's part of the casing around older eTrex models that frequently came off?

There's really no evidence of Garmin's engineering or materials being of less quality than older models at all. You just have to be careful.

Has the OP contacted Garmin to get a replacement cover? Its my experience Garmin usually gives things like this to people for free. A simple philips screw is the only thing between you and a new cover.

Has the OP contacted Garmin to get a replacement cover? Its my experience Garmin usually gives things like this to people for free. A simple philips screw is the only thing between you and a new cover.

I hadn't attempted to contact Garmin, but TrailTech from Garmin contacted me yesterday after reading my post here. He offered to send me a free replacement, and I gratefully accepted. And it's a size T5 hex bit I need, not a Philips. :P

--Larry

The replacement USB weather cap (that's its official Garmin part name) arrived today via UPS, and after a three-minute installation my Oregon 650 is as good as news. Can't really ask for better service than that!

--Larry

You are a lucky. I have the same problem after using Oregon 650 on an extent of one and a half weeks. For me it seems unacceptable: Garmin knows about bad quality of the rubber USB cap and they do nothing to eliminate the defect in new parties. So, now I must spend 10$ for the item and some extra money for postage from ebay seller: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rubber-cap-USB-port-Oregon-600-600t-650-650t-repair-spare-part-/251513349904

I am very, very, very disappointed with this product. It costs 500$ in my country. This model has many lacks, including its awful firmware till the last version 3.90.

From time to time I want to throw out my Oregon in a wastebasket.

Edited by CnGn