Photo competition - November 2013

Many thanks to Splendidz for choosing my picture as the winner of the October photo competition

This month's theme is "On The Way". You might interpret that as being on a long-distance path (the North Downs Way, for instance). Or just a normal path or track. Or it could be on a road. Perhaps on the way to a cache, or even on the way to a day out. It's up to you! The photo doesn't have to be taken this month; but if it is, then it might just give it an advantage with the judging panel (me).

Here's an example that would fit the theme. I took this last week at Water Rail Way 5, near Lincoln. You might have seen it on Facebook already.

0f9aceeb-d2ec-4cc8-bc31-116a2bbcb9d7.jpg

The rules are:

1) The photo must be cache related and to do with a specific UK cache (any type including events), caching series or caching trip - please include a link to the cache or the GC.... code so we can see where the picture relates to.

2) Maximum of two photos per caching team or cacher.

3) A new thread is started each month, with the OP stating these rules.

4) The winner each month is decided by the winner from the previous month - the new winner starting the thread for the subsequent month. They may set a theme if they wish.

5) Follow the theme

To add an image to a post, the best way is to upload it to one of your cache logs (if it isn't already there) then view the cache log (rather than the cache image gallery). Try and keep the size down to less than 800 pixels across, so it doesn't appear too big in the forum. "Click image to view original" should appear under your photo. Do this, then copy the URL (which will be something like http://imgcdn.geocaching.com/cache/log/0f9aceeb-d2ec-4cc8-bc31-116a2bbcb9d7.jpg).

When adding your forum post, click on the "insert image" icon and use the copied URL.

If the image doesn't relate to the cache log, don't worry: you could even upload it to one of your own caches.

Good luck!

HH

Edited by Happy Humphrey

Many thanks to Splendidz for choosing my picture as the winner of the October photo competition

This month's theme is "On The Way". You might interpret that as being on a long-distance path (the North Downs Way, for instance). Or just a normal path or track. Or it could be on a road. Perhaps on the way to a cache, or even on the way to a day out. It's up to you! The photo doesn't have to be taken this month; but if it is, then it might just give it an advantage with the judging panel (me).

Here's an example that would fit the theme. I took this last week at Water Rail Way 5, near Lincoln. You might have seen it on Facebook already.

0f9aceeb-d2ec-4cc8-bc31-116a2bbcb9d7.jpg

The rules are:

1) The photo must be cache related and to do with a specific UK cache (any type including events), caching series or caching trip - please include a link to the cache or the GC.... code so we can see where the picture relates to.

2) Maximum of two photos per caching team or cacher.

3) A new thread is started each month, with the OP stating these rules.

4) The winner each month is decided by the winner from the previous month - the new winner starting the thread for the subsequent month. They may set a theme if they wish.

5) Follow the theme

To add an image to a post, the best way is to upload it to one of your cache logs (if it isn't already there) then view the cache log (rather than the cache image gallery). Try and keep the size down to less than 800 pixels across, so it doesn't appear too big in the forum. "Click image to view original" should appear under your photo. Do this, then copy the URL (which will be something like http://imgcdn.geocaching.com/cache/log/0f9aceeb-d2ec-4cc8-bc31-116a2bbcb9d7.jpg).

When adding your forum post, click on the "insert image" icon and use the copied URL.

If the image doesn't relate to the cache log, don't worry: you could even upload it to one of your own caches.

Good luck!

HH

That is a stunning photograph. I hope you sent that to the BBC to show in their pics of the week or some other competition. It would be a great photo without the metalwork, but that is really the icing on the cake - the juxtaposition and contrast of the near-monochrome next to the spectrum of colours in the rainbow.

And no, I'm not sucking up to the judge because I'm not entering a photo a) because I can't think of one I might submit (haven't looked!) and B) I'm too much of a technophobe, as has been seen in previous attempts.

Good luck to everyone else though.

:)

And no, I'm not sucking up to the judge because I'm not entering a photo a) because I can't think of one I might submit (haven't looked!) and B) I'm too much of a technophobe, as has been seen in previous attempts.

I hope you submit something, even if you think it has no chance of winning. It doesn't have to be technically brilliant or using top quality gear (my example was only taken using a cheap phone camera). But the more the merrier; it's only a fun competition. I won't allow your (welcome) compliments to influence my judging.

These two encapsulate what, for me, geocaching is and should be about - enjoyment as a family, out in the fresh air, in some lovely places. They're of my two geokids (also Mrs YY), when we were out on a family walk last summer in the Severn Vale, Gloucestershire, picking up a few caches along the way.

meadowwalk3_zps0d88b63e.jpg

Meadowwalk1_zps814fa70d.jpg

Edited by Yorkshire Yellow

Double Wammy? On the way to Old Orange and Blue along the Camel Trail foreshore of the camel river which is on the way to the sea. Which is in the distance. On the right Rock and on the left Padstow headland.

2v8sh0j.jpg

And a satisfying photo snapped on ... the way home of course as the air became crisp and the sun was blazing along the horizon and we had field notes full of fantastic caches. A final treat for us on our way home.

2ldvd6q.jpg

I have to say that it's been a really difficult one to judge as there are some great entries this month. A shame that only one can win, and I'm sure that others will disagree on the best offering.

I particularly liked StripyJules' Morris Minor, with a fantastic patina of dust and ivy.

Vw_keychain's beautifully framed shot of Pyoung1s outside the cave is very striking.

The autumn colours captured by sarahmur has to be worth a mention too.

There's a superbly composed sunset photo from those pesky Seaglass Pirates.

CaveBadgerMan's well-observed phone box is intriguing. Has it just been dropped there?

And I liked Clue-72's steps, looking into the sun: effective, but always a difficult one to get perfect.

Yorkshire Yellow's fantastic shot of Mum and tot walking through buttercups deserves special mention. Great composition, and I agree that it picks up the family geocaching feel perfectly. I think it would have won except that it looks a bit summery for a November competition.

"Kinder Gates" by sussamb has to be the winner for me. Having been there many times, the shot really captures the atmosphere up on that mysterious plateau. Although I think it was taken in summer, it looks very autumnal (as so often up there). And it's very much "on the Way". Well done for getting the camera out when it might have been easier to just plod on through the mist.