Magellan GC Compatible With Chirp?

Hi,

I currently have a Magellan GC Explorist. I found a cache that had a Garmin Chirp associated with it. I had to find the cache sans Chirp because apparently it isn't Chirp compatible. Is there a way to upgrade it to make it Chirp enabled? If not, is there an affordable Magellan that can be compatible with Chirp?

On top of it, I fear that my GC Explorist is a little loose when capturing coordinates under cover.

With that in mind, is there a more accurate, affordable Magellan that I can buy that is capable of Chirp compatibility, OR is there a way to fix both concerns with my GC? Thanks!

As far as I am aware the Garmin Chirp is a proprietary device and only compatible with some Garmin GPS's.

The Garmin website lists the following compatible GPS's

Astro 320

Dakota 20

eTrex 30

GPSMAP 62s, 62st, 62sc, 62sct

GPSMAP 78s, 78sc

Montana 600, 650, 650t

Oregon 300, 400c, 400i, 400t, 450, 450t, 550, 550t, 600, 600t, 650, 650t

Rino 650, 655t

Regards Tarot (Bob)

Chirp is a Garmin device. Only Garmin units can "use" the Chirp. There are other devices that do the same thing among multiple brands. I also own the GC and I don't think it's compatible with any such device. There's 2 million+ geocaches, so don't go out and buy a new GPS just so you can find a handful that have a Chirp, or other beacon.

Good responses folks! Yeah, I guess you're right, T.D.M. It would be nice to have access to Chirp, but when it really comes down to it, it's not a necessity. I love my GC. I don't want to switch. Just now I need to figure out what I am doing wrong capturing coordinates for caches I place.... Any ideas on how to make my GC more accurate capturing coordinates?

I find when my batteries are low everything suffers. Try new batteries. Also how are you getting the co-ords? If you choose to place a cache, rather than a waypoint, it averages the co-ords and might take 2 minutes. It will show time remaining-just set it on the ground at the cache site(if possible). Also if try taking 3 or 4 sets of co-ords and averaging them.

You can average waypoints with the GC. Hit MENU when you are on the new waypoint data page (before you save it) and it should give you the option to average the coords. The exact wording is different based on the firmware version that you have. Unfortunately, I don't have my GC with me to give you the exact steps.

You can average waypoints with the GC. Hit MENU when you are on the new waypoint data page (before you save it) and it should give you the option to average the coords. The exact wording is different based on the firmware version that you have. Unfortunately, I don't have my GC with me to give you the exact steps.

Not a problem fish. That's all I needed. I can undoubtedly figure out the rest. Thank you!

You are all gentlemen (and women) and scholars, and your honest and helpful feedback has been appreciated.