creative cache theme

working on Geocaching MB and have to create a creative cache. completely stuck. if you have a cheap cool idea reply please help thanks :D

What is 'Geocaching MB'? Your profile says you have had an account for about 3 months but haven't done any actual geocaching. Finding caches will help you understand what good and bad caches look like. Google: creative geocache, for ideas but please consider getting a few months of experience under your belt before hiding a cache. Also why cheap? The best caches show a bit of investment in the pastime - a quality container is a starting point to a good creative cache experience.

working on Geocaching MB and have to create a creative cache. completely stuck. if you have a cheap cool idea reply please help thanks :D
I recommend that you find enough geocaches so that you know what kinds of containers work well (and what kinds don't), what kinds of caches you enjoy, and what kinds of caches you want to own and maintain for the long term. Honestly, none of us can answer that for you.

But if you just want to see what others have done, then you could take a look at the Pictures - Cool Cache Containers (CCC's) thread in the forums.

Well, my only creative cache is the Halloween one that I placed recently, it was a basic clip lock container which I glued a small 3D skeleton to the lid, then spray-painted it to make it all blend together better. then onto the inside of the container, along with the obvious spooky swag, I decided I'd hide the lo in a separate container and underneath lots of GOO!!! that right, you have to squelch your fingers through the goo and get sticky in order to sign the log.

Not sure how long it will hold up for if the odd geocacher drops it on the dirt floor, or how the weather will effect it in the winter, but those things will come as a learning curve. The goo was only 99p so it's easy replaced and if it becomes a issue on a regular issue it's easy to replace with a normal logbook after Halloween has passed.

Been getting a few comments such as "Ewwwww" and also a few favourite points, so was pretty fun.

Just remember a creative cache doesn't always have to be a disguised container or something highly extravagant or over the top.

And please only place it if you will maintain it, don't place it just to help you earn a badge, do a bit of geocaching and see if it is something you enjoy first. If you enjoy it, by all means place one or two of your own after a little bit, it will also help because you'll have a better iddea of what others have done and how good you found them to find. :)

I did a couple Halloween caches last year. One was a black rise near a cemetery. The other was an ammo can painted with a zombie anitdote label type thing. FTF got a 6pack of "antidote" cache went missing.

I also did a Black Hawk Down series.'a cache came out every week or two, based on the movie.

Had a large ammo can, and a PVC pipe, called the Binford 6100 ammo can, and Binford 6100 bison tube. The ammo can was stolen. The bison tube(3-4) feet long hangs in a tree.

I also have a cache where Included markers and encouraged finders to sign, and draw on the container. Or to step on it. Or whatever you feel like doing to it. (Includes a log as well for those that don't want to do anything with it)

I painted a 55 gallon drum camo. It's the cities biggest nano(it has a bison tube on the cap, and the drum has over 200poinds of sand plus whatever water was with the sand)

As you can see you can do almost anything. But there are some people that get annoyed with caches placed to earn a merit badge. The user places them and then leaves it, doesn't put a new log in, or repair it, or even archive it. If thas going to be you, then maybe find a cacher who would place it and help maintain it for you. Otherwise it becomes trash.

You actually don't have to create a geocache at all. There are three other options for earning the merit badge.

8. Do ONE of the following:

a. If a Cache to Eagle® series exists in your council, visit at least three of the 12 locations in the series. Describe the projects that each cache you visit highlights, and explain how the Cache to Eagle® program helps share our Scouting service with the public.

b. Create a Scouting-related Travel Bug® that promotes one of the values of Scouting. "Release" your Travel Bug into a public geocache and, with your parent’s permission, monitor its progress at www.geocaching.com for 30 days. Keep a log, and share this with your counselor at the end of the 30-day period.

d. Explain what Cache In Trash Out (CITO) means, and describe how you have practiced CITO at public geocaches or at a CITO event. Then, either create CITO containers to leave at public caches, or host a CITO event for your unit or for the public.

If you plan on going head with option C then please fulfill all the duties outlined in option C including coming up with a six-month maintenance plan and following through on the maintenance plan for at least the entire six-month period. I also suggest that you make a plan to either adopt out the geocache or archive and physically remove the geocache after the six-month period is over. Unless you find you really enjoy geocaching in which case I suggest creating and maintaining more geocaches!

c. Set up and hide a public geocache, following the guidelines in the Geocaching merit badge pamphlet. Before doing so, share with your counselor a six-month maintenance plan for the geocache where you are personally responsible for the first three months. After setting up the geocache, with your parent’s permission, follow the logs online for 30 days and share them with your counselor.

If you feel that you won't be able to maintain a geocache for at least six-months then I suggest going with options B and creating a Scouting-related travel bug.

You actually don't have to create a geocache at all. There are three other options for earning the merit badge.

8. Do ONE of the following:

a. If a Cache to Eagle® series exists in your council, visit at least three of the 12 locations in the series. Describe the projects that each cache you visit highlights, and explain how the Cache to Eagle® program helps share our Scouting service with the public.

b. Create a Scouting-related Travel Bug® that promotes one of the values of Scouting. "Release" your Travel Bug into a public geocache and, with your parent’s permission, monitor its progress at www.geocaching.com for 30 days. Keep a log, and share this with your counselor at the end of the 30-day period.

d. Explain what Cache In Trash Out (CITO) means, and describe how you have practiced CITO at public geocaches or at a CITO event. Then, either create CITO containers to leave at public caches, or host a CITO event for your unit or for the public.

If you plan on going head with option C then please fulfill all the duties outlined in option C including coming up with a six-month maintenance plan and following through on the maintenance plan for at least the entire six-month period. I also suggest that you make a plan to either adopt out the geocache or archive and physically remove the geocache after the six-month period is over. Unless you find you really enjoy geocaching in which case I suggest creating and maintaining more geocaches!

c. Set up and hide a public geocache, following the guidelines in the Geocaching merit badge pamphlet. Before doing so, share with your counselor a six-month maintenance plan for the geocache where you are personally responsible for the first three months. After setting up the geocache, with your parent’s permission, follow the logs online for 30 days and share them with your counselor.

If you feel that you won't be able to maintain a geocache for at least six-months then I suggest going with options B and creating a Scouting-related travel bug.

Wow! I think he made it clear he wanted to explore doing a cache. But instead of offering him creative suggestions we lay the guilt of all the past failed scout caches at his feet. I think he gets the point. Now lets be on topic and give some suggestions. We all know the more work you put into something the more you want to take care of it.

Wow! I think he made it clear he wanted to explore doing a cache. But instead of offering him creative suggestions we lay the guilt of all the past failed scout caches at his feet. I think he gets the point. Now lets be on topic and give some suggestions. We all know the more work you put into something the more you want to take care of it.

I think it's a good idea to encourage someone with no caching experience to go out and do some geocaching.

Also, notice how the OP hasn't come back to this discussion to assure us he will get some experience, is committed to the game and has a maintenance plan in action. I don't think it's a good idea to encourage him to go out and plant a cache (given the track record of similar cachers with no experience). He may also be underage - the TOU says :

• Minors. Our services are not targeted towards, nor intended for use by, anyone under the age of 13. If you are under the age of 13, you are not permitted to use our services. If you are under the age of 18 but at least 13, you may only use our services under the supervision of a parent or legal guardian who agrees to be bound by this Agreement.

If he has an adult supervising his caching project, that would be the first person to go to for direction. If the Group Leader can't answer this question, one has to wonder how much experience the Scout leaders have with an activity they provide a badge for.

Edited by L0ne R

The goal of scouting is "to contribute to the development of young people in achieving their full physical, intellectual, social and spiritual potentials as individuals, as responsible citizens and as members of their local, national and international communities."

This is primary done through mentoring. I have a vested interest in scouting. As a mentor I don't want to see any scout take on any project that they aren't prepared for. I'm not saying that I won't let a scout fail at a project. You can sometimes learn more from failure than you can success. But their is little to gain from creating a geocache and failing to do follow through and do the maintenance on it.

Through the merit badge program, a boy is introduced to skills which may help him choose his adult vocation. The key word here is introduced. Most of the time after a merit badge is earned the scout moves on to learn other skills. It very important for a scout to choose the option or options for earning a merit badge that best fit them. This is one of the reasons for a merit badge counselor, to guide the scout to the option that best fits them.

If this or any scout is already an active geocacher or had other hobbies that were similar to geocaching, like letterboxing or orienteering, then I'd be more than happy to suggest creative cache ideas. If not then I suggest any of the other options. Their is no shame in the other options and they are a much better option than having a geocache become geotrash.

If the scout insists on creating a geocaching I will support them but I will also insist that follow through with their commitment to maintain the geocache. I'll do everything that I can to set the scout up for success which in the context of these forums means that I want to understand that there is a six-month commitment to maintaining a geocache. The other options there is no commitment. You release the TB or visit three geocache, or explain CITO and it is done. No further commitments. As long as the scout understand the commitment to maintaining the geocache and is willing to follow through I will support them. It isn't fair to the scout or to the geocaching community to encourage a scout to place a cache that they aren't prepared to properly maintain.

Yet if the CO was not a Scout, then it would be OK. There where some examples of creative caches, some general advice, and even other options. The CO had wanted to earn a Merit Badge, and so one person had pointed out that there are two other options to get the same result.

If the CO is really interested in geocaching he will continue after he earns the badge, and he will know (and hopefully act on it) that he should maintain his cache, and that other cachers will be the ones who suffer if he doesn't.

If he decides he can't maintain the cache, or just gets scared away because we are "mean" and doesn't place a cache, then isn't it better than encouraging lazy, poorly thought out, and un-maintained caches, just so we can include everyone? Or think about it like this-Would you rather have a world famous doctor who likes what he does, genuinely cares about his patients and graduated top of his class, or a doctor that graduated and really doesn't care about his patients, or if they live or die, as long as he gets to do surgery? But maybe we should encourage that bad doctor because he likes to do surgery. So what if he takes out a liver, or does liposuction when it was supposed to be a heart transplant?

Not saying don't encourage the kid, they are saying if you do this, it affects others as well. It's not just a Merit Badge, not just something you can make and then toss in the closet and forget about. A lot of adults have problems maintaining their caches and they know better. And to be honest the whole geocaching and Scouts thing isn't the best idea. Sure it may be different if the Scout leader is an avid cacher with 3,000 finds, but I'll bet most of them know of geocaching, maybe have 10 finds and haven't logged onto the site in two years, and that their Scouts know more than they do. The blind leading the not-so-blind.

Edited by T.D.M.22

So far I'm not seeing evidence of any work at all - other than starting a thread here with a single post and no follow-up in three days :unsure:

Evidence of enthusiasm would at least be encouraging - how many finds logged in the four months of membership - none.

Doesn't exactly instill confidence :(

Why do I feel like a rabbit?

If he decides he can't maintain the cache, or just gets scared away because we are "mean" and doesn't place a cache, then isn't it better than encouraging lazy, poorly thought out, and un-maintained caches, just so we can include everyone? Or think about it like this-Would you rather have a world famous doctor who likes what he does, genuinely cares about his patients and graduated top of his class, or a doctor that graduated and really doesn't care about his patients, or if they live or die, as long as he gets to do surgery? But maybe we should encourage that bad doctor because he likes to do surgery. So what if he takes out a liver, or does liposuction when it was supposed to be a heart transplant?

Comparing this hobby to surgery is too much of an exaggeration. There are no babies dying here. I would rather compare placing a cache to writing. Are you saying that only the great writers should write? How is one to become a great writer if one does not write? I may not like every book in a library or every article in a newspaper, but they should be allowed, maybe even encouraged to write them especially when they are young. Speaking of young...

He may also be underage - the TOU says :

Minors. Our services are not targeted towards, nor intended for use by, anyone under the age of 13. If you are under the age of 13, you are not permitted to use our services. If you are under the age of 18 but at least 13, you may only use our services under the supervision of a parent or legal guardian who agrees to be bound by this Agreement.

If he has an adult supervising his caching project, that would be the first person to go to for direction. If the Group Leader can't answer this question, one has to wonder how much experience the Scout leaders have with an activity they provide a badge for.

The dude could indeed be anywhere from 10 to 18, so definitely a minor, but how are we to know the exact age and that he doesn't have the permission of a parent. Also the argument that he shouldn't even be here anyway is lame. Actually posting on a forum full of people who have seen a lot of caches seemed like a step in the right direction to me.

Maybe I am more miffed that this wasn't a topic full of cool ideas.

Why do I feel like a rabbit?

Comparing this hobby to surgery is too much of an exaggeration. There are no babies dying here. I would rather compare placing a cache to writing. Are you saying that only the great writers should write? How is one to become a great writer if one does not write? I may not like every book in a library or every article in a newspaper, but they should be allowed, maybe even encouraged to write them especially when they are young. Speaking of young...

The dude could indeed be anywhere from 10 to 18, so definitely a minor, but how are we to know the exact age and that he doesn't have the permission of a parent. Also the argument that he shouldn't even be here anyway is lame. Actually posting on a forum full of people who have seen a lot of caches seemed like a step in the right direction to me.

Maybe I am more miffed that this wasn't a topic full of cool ideas.

I agree about the age thing. How do we know his parents weren't standing behind him as he wrote it. But you get my point about the doctor thing? I guess what I'm saying is; What good is it to encourage someone to "just do it"? Wouldn't it be more productive to encourage someone to do it properly, rather then just place a cache and forget about it. Like someone else pointed out, there's other ways to get the badge. And like geocaches, there's other badges, and you don't have to get every single one.

And you have to admit the fact that he signed up three months ago and has no finds, hasn't responded to the thread, and hasn't logged into geocaching.com since Sunday really does make it seem that meybe he can't maintain it.

Edited by T.D.M.22

Can you be surprised he hasn't replied to the thread since posting it, judging by some of the answers i'm not surprised he hasn't replied.

We should have been giving him ideas and telling him what makes a good cache, telling him about waterproof containers, maintenance etc... not just telling him NOT to place one until he has found some himself, yes it's a good recommendation to find some, and by al means make the recommendation to him. But its not a requirement to have some finds.

He's more likely now to go out and place a sub-standard cache which will leak and have a soggy logsheet, as he received very little advice from anyone when he asked.

Perhaps this misguided youth hasn't logged in since Sunday because instead of finding and logging caches all week long to learn what is a good cache vs what is a bad cache, he is really wasting his time focusing on his schoolwork. Lighten up folks...it's Geocaching not Surgery. Hopefully he logs back in and takes some of the comments constructively. But I must say the worst caches I have found so far have been hidden and not maintained by adults. We have some great FTF cachers in this area that sprint out the moment a cache gets published and pass by their multiple "Needs Maintenance" caches on the way.

But I must say the worst caches I have found so far have been hidden and not maintained by adults. We have some great FTF cachers in this area that sprint out the moment a cache gets published and pass by their multiple "Needs Maintenance" caches on the way.

Poor cache ownership is bad no matter who does it.

Can you be surprised he hasn't replied to the thread since posting it, judging by some of the answers i'm not surprised he hasn't replied.

The reason he hasn't replied is because as of this post the last time he has been here was the day he made the post. I expect he will return and I hope that he will respond. After all, one post doesn't make a very good conversation. If he is following Boy Scout social media guidelines then he may be waiting for an adult leader who is required to monitor his social media activity.

We should have been giving him ideas and telling him what makes a good cache, telling him about waterproof containers, maintenance etc... not just telling him NOT to place one until he has found some himself, yes it's a good recommendation to find some, and by al means make the recommendation to him. But its not a requirement to have some finds.

His merit badge counselor should have been telling him what makes a good cache. His merit badge counselor might have encouraged him to post here to get some ideas but there are a number of red flags in his post.

"have to create a creative cache." - While creative caches are great this is not a requirement for the merit badge.

"completely stuck" - If he is using his merit badge councilor and the geocaching merit badge pamphlet that is available online for free as resources then he shouldn't be completely stuck.

"cheap cool idea" - For cool caches I'd point him to the Cool Cache Container topic. For cheap ideas I'd encourage his to earn his badge some other way than placing a cheap geocache. Which is what I did. A travel bug is cheap. Finding geocaches is cheap, if there are any Cache to Eagle® geocaches in his area. Explaining what CITO means and practicing it costs almost nothing.

He's more likely now to go out and place a sub-standard cache which will leak and have a soggy logsheet, as he received very little advice from anyone when he asked.

Now he more likely to not create geotrash. If he is having trouble completing a requirement then he should seek guidance from his merit badge counselor. I doubt very much that his merit badge counselor told him to create a cheap geocache.

Edited by Glenn

We've experienced a bad example of an Eagle Scout not following through on a cache placement recently. Cache was placed and published, an experienced cacher looked at the coords on Google map and found them to not be near the area described in the description (cache was placed near a church parking lot, coords pointed to a junk yard .2 mile away.) Cache was redacted, a few days later cache was published again with updated coords. This time location matched but after many attempts the cache was not found. Many people sent message offering to help the scout make sure his placement and coords were accurate, no response. After 3 months, cache was archived. The location the second set of coords was a low bush beside a kids soccer field.... my guess is that the cache was muggled soon after it was placed.... No follow through, no maintenance. Either the Boy Scouts Council needs to remove the cache placement option or modify it to include a maintenance period and minimum number of finds before awarding a badge.

To the original poster. Find a good container, (ammo can, lock and lock) put some interesting tradable items in it, put the log book in it, find a kid friendly interesting place to hide it, gear your cache page for kids and scouts, and then make sure people are finding it 6mos to a year after you place it. Check on you hide at once a month or least once every few months. That will make an interesting cache.

Just spitballing here:

Why not do a scout themed cache? You could make a puzzle or multi cache where you have to identify knots or merit badges. Maybe wrap a container in rope. Anyone going for a woodwork merit badge? Could make a box and use it for both badges.

I recently got permission to place caches on some family land that is used as a boyscout camp. I am planning on placing several caches with the scouts in mind. The first is a series of four caches for each of the four elements earth, air, water, and fire. Next, I am creating a physically challenging multi projecting waypoints from compass bearings that will take the cacher through ravines, across creeks and up a hill or two.

Either the Boy Scouts Council needs to remove the cache placement option or modify it to include a maintenance period and minimum number of finds before awarding a badge.
I like the idea of removing the cache placement option for the requirement, but I'm not a fan of caches hidden to satisfy some external requirement (e.g., badge requirements, "Curse of the FTF" series, Challenge Cache requirements, sweepstakes entries).

I also like the idea of requiring a demonstration of proper maintenance for 6 months (or longer), if they're going to keep the cache placement option.

But I'm not sure what minimum number of finds would be appropriate. Some caches have dozens of finds the day they are published. Others have fewer than a dozen finds their entire first year. And the latter type seems more in line with the outdoor emphasis of the program.