Best GPS for geocaching

In my mind, the best one is one that you can afford and is easy to operate. A couple of years ago I bought a Delorme because of all the rave reviews. Within 2 weeks I sent it back as it was difficult to use with a huge learning curve. That was just my experience, so I don't think there is any one "best" GPS unit. But, I do like Garmins :rolleyes:

The top of the line Garmin's are the Oregon 650 and Monterra. The Montana and Oregon 450 are the older models.

The Monterra isn't out yet (or I would have it) so you can't count that. The Oregon's screen is too small. I used to have a 450 and it pales next to the 550 which looks minuscule now that I have a Montana. I am going through withdrawal and much eye scrunching using my 550 while my Montana is in the shop but it comes back tomorrow.

In my mind, the best one is one that you can afford and is easy to operate. A couple of years ago I bought a Delorme because of all the rave reviews. Within 2 weeks I sent it back as it was difficult to use with a huge learning curve. That was just my experience, so I don't think there is any one "best" GPS unit. But, I do like Garmins :rolleyes:

Likewise, we use a Delorme (and like it very much) after fiddling and fuddling with Garmins. :)

Once "learnt", everything seems to work so much easier, if not better.

Will certainly agree though, there probably isn't such a thing as a "best" GPSr unit for geocaching. It all comes down to one's comfort zone, the features and use of those features within each particular unit.

The question itself will generate a lot of opinions as to which is "best" -- as already evidenced.

It all comes down to each individual's personal preference with regard to what they want their GPSr to do. I loved my 60CSx and then I got to play around with the Montana. I love that one right now but am awaiting the shipment of my Monterra. I have other friends who swear by their non-Garmin brands. So many opinions but no real way to validly rate this one over that one on a consistent basis.

Thanks for all the help but what GPS is really good for doing everything (geocaching wise) especially entering coords? :grin:

Pretty much any of the modern (current as of ca. 2008, give or take) hand-held models are equipped for paperless caching, and even many older models can handle geocaching just fine.

"The Best" would be either Garmin or Magellan's top of the line models, but as far as geocaching functionality is concerned, even lower level models have that mastered.

i kind just want someone to give me a model name of a GPS that is easy to use will get me to GZ and i can enter coords into EASILY if anyone one knows of a Gps like that please tell me!

Nobody can decide what is best for you. ANY GPS will get you to a cache. Hence it's not so simple to just name a GPS model and say "go."

Here, follow this link and choose from any of the models you see. THEY WILL ALL WORK FOR GEOCACHING.

For under 400 bucks.... Oregon 550T. Comes already with everything you ever need including mapping, auto-routing, established unit.

However as others have mentioned, money does not buy you accuracy, it buys you features and a larger screen. My suggestion is to go to a brick and mortar store, put the Garmin's in your hand (avoid the Magellan's and Delorme's are badly outdated). Feel what is best for you and your budget, then go to the internet and actually buy it.

For under 400 bucks.... Oregon 550T. Comes already with everything you ever need including mapping, auto-routing, established unit.

However as others have mentioned, money does not buy you accuracy, it buys you features and a larger screen. My suggestion is to go to a brick and mortar store, put the Garmin's in your hand (avoid the Magellan's and Delorme's are badly outdated). Feel what is best for you and your budget, then go to the internet and actually buy it.

I would agree with that. I had to go back to mine for two weeks recently and it definitely has a better screen in the outdoors than the 450. If you go to a touch screen you lose some outside visibility (just like a phone) but using it is so nice.

REI, Cabela's, Bass Pro Shops all have units on display that you can play around with. Other stores might or might not.

The auto-routing can only be used with 24k maps from Garmin (extra money required but more detail in the maps) or OSM maps you can download from the web to your unit.

The Oregon mentioned is a good one based on how many of my friends have and like theirs. I don't know the estimated cost or how long you're willing to wait, but it appears that Garmin's 60 series will be getting a new addition (64s) sometime soon.

Lots of people also like the eTrex 20/30 but the screens are smaller.

Finally the very basic model of the newest Oregon is listed at 399.

Thanks for all the help but what GPS is really good for doing everything (geocaching wise) especially entering coords? :grin:

If you plan a lot of manual entry, the touchscreen models allow this to be accomplished a good deal more quickly than those that use the joystick to accomplish the same task.

I've owned both styles of Garmins, and for data entry, the touchscreen versions have always proved faster to use in the field.

Then again, if you get yourself set up right, you won't be entering coordinates that often except for the waypoints of multis in the field.

REI, Cabela's, Bass Pro Shops all have units on display that you can play around with. ....

Will they let one walk around the parking lot with it to check it out? Verify accuracy?

I haven't asked but if anyone would, my guess is that REI would (been to the one near me quite a bit). You'd probably have to leave something as collateral though! Most of them are tethered, although I've seen some in the Dick's Sporting Goods hunting area that are loose.

I don't have a Cabela's or a Bass Pro Shop close so I can't vouch for their policies.

It also depends how you like to view the screen while you are caching. My friend has a garmin with a touchscreen, and I have a Delorme PN-60. She views a compass, I view my maps. I love the Delorme map view. If we are driving, it is much better than a compass. It shows not only roads, but also trails you are on and bodies of water as well. I can push the buttons with gloves on, which you can't do with a touchscreen. I will be getting my 2000th cach with it tomorrow. I think it is pretty user friendly, but you do have to spend a little time with it. My friend can't seem to get her Garmin to do any of this. She wishes she had a Delorme.

Some gloves are designed to be used with touch screens. You just need to google it and you'll come up with quite a few choices. I know that on my Montana, it doesn't matter if I'm wearing gloves or not, but it's not nearly as accurate when I have my gloves on.

The "old" Garmin touch screens (Montana, Oregon 450 or earlier, Dakota, older Nuvi's) are a pressure-sensitive screen. They can be used with gloves, or a pencil, or a stick, or your bare finger. The new capacitive screens, similar to those of your smart phone, actually detect weak electromagnetic fields in your fingers, which is why you can't simply use the eraser end of a pencil as a stylus. It's also why many gloves won't activate the touch screen.

So... the downside of the new capacitive screens: you can't use them with any universal object. The upside, they can recognize multiple touches allowing for such gestures as "pinch to zoom" and so forth.