Help basic geocaching

Bonricmac

I have no idea how to get started geocaching. I am totally confused. I have the garmin geko but it seems I need some kind of cable for my computer? What cable? Also, is there an app of some kind? I have an ipad but no phone I can download apps to. Please help. I am anxious to start geocaching but totally clueless how.

The cable to attach your garm t a computer is just an ordinary USB lead, same kind used for a lot of phones/cameras and other electronic devices.

On the back of your device there's a small flap that will lift up to show you the connection it needs. Mine's a different gps so I couldn't say for sure what type yours will use, theres 2 main types, but mine uses the same as my camera/ps3 controllers/kindle so I have plenty of the leads lying around.

If you don't already have one they're really cheap, you can easily pick up one (likely with multi-connections anyway) from a pound shop (or dollar store if you're american) etc...

as for apps, I think Ipad does have gps built in, once again I don't have an ipad so I couldn't say for sure. There are lots of app choices out there, the official one is a popular choice, it is a paid one though and lacks some of the features that some of the other free or cheaper apps have.

Just do a search in the app store for geocaching apps and try a few to see what suits you, most of the paid ones have demo or trial apps to let you test them.

Once installed on your device, just scan for nearby caches and navigate your way to some of the areas to start your finds. The best way to learn is to get out there and start searching. But I'd recommend sticking to the easy difficulty ones and also the small/regular caches to start with, the micros and the more difficult caches could be difficult to find at first.

Thanks u1bd2005. The Garmin Geko 201 has a strange "port" with 4 gold circles. This is nothing like my phne,kindle or camera. I guess Garmin needs a special cable. I am still a bit confused as how I retrieve the coordinants to find the cache. I am still reading and reading and playing with the Geko but gtting more and more confused. I did download an app to my ipad but want to use the Geko. Thanks again. Bonnie

I don't know how to use a Garmin, but if you are having trouble with finding the correct cable, try adding the coords for a cache as a waypoint/point of intrest manually - then you should be able to set it as 'goto' and follow the arrow to the cache. The problem with this is that you don't have all the cache info stored onto the geko - just what you enter yourself - but you can print the cache page from the website and take it with you for reference.

Try a really easy cache to start with - in a quiet area with no muggles about - until you get the hang of using the gps and finding caches

I don't know how to use a Garmin, but if you are having trouble with finding the correct cable, try adding the coords for a cache as a waypoint/point of intrest manually - then you should be able to set it as 'goto' and follow the arrow to the cache. The problem with this is that you don't have all the cache info stored onto the geko - just what you enter yourself - but you can print the cache page from the website and take it with you for reference.

Try a really easy cache to start with - in a quiet area with no muggles about - until you get the hang of using the gps and finding caches

Thanks team taran. I did find three easy caches yesterday not using the garmin. I used an app. On my grandson's phone. Now I will try to "refined" it practicing with the garmin. I did find out how to manually enter the way points without using a data cable so that is a start. I may have more questions after today's practice. Thanks,Bonnie

We need to backup here. The interface is the old legacy style NEMA Serial Port. That really complicates as you will have to find a serial to USB adapter then install the appropriate drivers. It holds 500 waypoints no mention of caching. Not sure this is going to work out for caching.

True.

I have one in a drawer somewhere....it didn't do geocaching well, there would be signal issues if I walked under a tree.

The Gecko is fine for geocaching. My wife used one for years. It has it's limitations. It's an old style receiver so doesn't have the best reception under trees, only holds 500 waypoints, no mapping and no geocaching specific features. But it will get you to the cache.

At one time they sold a USB Gecko/eTrex cable on Ebay for about $12. Perhaps you can still find it. The Gecko and the original eTrex units used the same data cable.

Edited by briansnat

When the arrow starts pointing all over the place you are at the cache location. At that point put the GPS away and start physically searching the area for likely hiding spots. The accuracy of the unit will put you in about a 30' radius. That radius can expand if you consider the hiders GPS will have a similar radius accuracy. This is when you start developing and using your "geo-sense". Good luck and have fun.

When the arrow starts pointing all over the place you are at the cache location. At that point put the GPS away and start physically searching the area for likely hiding spots. The accuracy of the unit will put you in about a 30' radius. That radius can expand if you consider the hiders GPS will have a similar radius accuracy. This is when you start developing and using your "geo-sense". Good luck and have fun.

I may be gps challenged. I can enter the coordinants and get to the cache but why does the arrow not point me directly at the cache? The arrow seems to move all over the place thus confusing my search when I get close. Thanks!

You need to be walking at a fairly brisk pace for the compass to work. As you near the cache you tend to slow down and the GPS can't figure out which direction it's moving.