Duplicate finds being posted to geocaches

brodiebunch

I am rarely here anymore so am unsure if this topic has come up. I could not locate it.

It seems that are appearing a large number of duplicate finds with our geocaches that I have here in the Seattle area.

Perhaps the geocachers are using some sort of smart or Android phone and they are hitting enter twice, as the logs usually consist of "tftc", "thanks", "found it" or just a smiley face.

I will email them requesting they delete the duplicate finds. The duplicates throw off the total numbers for themselves and for the geocaches (sometimes it can be about the numbers)

Most do so willingly but some do not. I give them a week or so to do that then I will delete them myself.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Has anyone else noticed this?

Yep.

They think it didn't go through on their phone and hit it again.

Waiting a week didn't do it for us.

We go on their profiles and if we see "never" written as the last time visited into the site, we delete the duplicate.

They don't notice.

We ask the others which log they'd like to keep and not one has ever responded.

It sounds like you are handling the situation like I would.

I do notice the occasional duplicate find in some caches, but I assume most of those were accidental. A few were intentional, but most of those were by newbies who didn't realize that the practice generally is frowned upon.

Then there are the duplicate finds in caches that permit duplicate finds, but that's a whole other kettle of fish.

I noticed a few duplicate finds on my caches so deleted them, the person who logged the finds emailed me to ask why I had deleted their logs. They had no idea this had happened so must have been a technical error.

But on someone else’s cache I have seen someone log it 4 times all with slightly different messages, surely you would notice you find count not adding up.

But on someone else’s cache I have seen someone log it 4 times all with slightly different messages, surely you would notice you find count not adding up.

On a nearby cache, the CO kept posting "found it" logs whenever he put in a trackable. I finally posted a note to the cache page about it and he emailed me and asked me how else he could put a trackable into inventory and I told him he could simply do it with a "note" log. He hadn't realized he could do it that way and ended up fixing all his previous "found it" logs on that cache. Sometimes people just don't really pay attention or think about different ways of getting the same thing accomplished.

I have noticed duplicate find logs when logging caches with the iPhone app with a spotty or intermittent data connection. It seems to be some sort of fail safe mechanism gone astray. I usually double check on the computer and delete any redundancies, but somewhere along the line I've missed one and cannot find it.

Yep our phone sometimes does that as well. I would appreciate you deleting them as we sometimes don't notice. I think we have a couple duplicate finds but don't want to find and delete them now as it would mess up some of our memorable finds we worked hard to make our 500th find or 1000th find but wish it had never happened. Most times we notice it and go back and delete them.

The first time I went out caching with a smartphone, I kept getting an error message when trying to submit a log, so I kept trying to resend the log. Once I got home, I realized all the find logs had gone through, so the cache I was trying to log was found by me eleven times. Now I just submit field notes and write my logs at home.

I noticed a few duplicate finds on my caches so deleted them, the person who logged the finds emailed me to ask why I had deleted their logs. They had no idea this had happened so must have been a technical error.

I've seen it happen a few times, deleted the duplicate and received the same reaction. I think it's definitely a smart phone issue.

I know I have a few duplicate finds logged but have not been able to figure out how to find which one they are so I can correct it. I have never had a CO write and tell me about it.

Certainly not an intentional situation, just a mistake when logging after a trip

Easily found on Project-GC.com

Your two duplicate logs

GC428GH

GC2TM69

It can be a smart phone thing, but then how do you explain several duplicate logs I had (now deleted by me).

I not only don't have a smart phone, I don't own a phone at all... There was a period not to long ago where it appeared to be the result of updating the site, but I have not seen it recently after it was pointed out on the forums.

Doug 7rxc