I took a local reporter Geocaching...

So what was this done for?? What was the reporters purpose?

She wanted to highlight a fun, free activity that families can do locally.

They've been talking to me about doing this piece since the 1st of the year and we finally got around to it.

I thought it came out really well and I enjoyed the opportunity to increase the scene in my area.

So what was this done for?? What was the reporters purpose?

She wanted to highlight a fun, free activity that families can do locally.

They've been talking to me about doing this piece since the 1st of the year and we finally got around to it.

I thought it came out really well and I enjoyed the opportunity to increase the scene in my area.

That's awesome, gives me an idea... not sure if any of my local news people would do a piece or not. How did you get picked? Did they contact you at random or did you contact them? Some thing like this would make a great piece to contradict the usual depressing news that is aired.

I work at a local retirement village and my residents just recently had me come and talk to them about geocaching. The were facinated to hear about it and amazed at what people will do with technology, and I had fun teaching them and answering some questions. Though I have gotten quite good at it since I am usually stopped and asked my local police. I tend to cache more at night, so while I dont have to be as stealthy most of the time, once in a while, I draw more attention than I would prefer.

I think I heard you mention that key holders make great caches.

WHAT? Maybe I misheard such silliness.

I have never found a keyholder that wasn't either soaked or the log was a mess of compacted paper.

Sounds like some misplaced magnets...

The cool thing about them is that you can stick them in places that will keep them DRY! :)

Anyway, I really do enjoy magnetic caches. We've got some really creative ones around here.

How did you get picked? Did they contact you at random or did you contact them? Some thing like this would make a great piece to contradict the usual depressing news that is aired.

They got ahold of me because I mentioned caching on twitter and one of their reporters follows me. So she must have passed the idea along to the young lady who wanted to do the story.

Why don't you contact your local papers and stations and plant the idea for a caching story? In my experience, they are usually very receptive to fun ideas with mass appeal.

I logged a very interesting story of a DNF on a night cache, and a local newspaper reporter contacted me. I ended up getting a group of cachers together (a few who had found the cache to insure our success) and we took the reporter and a photographer out on a hunt to find the cache. It was a lot of fun and the article was a good read.

I logged a very interesting story of a DNF on a night cache, and a local newspaper reporter contacted me. I ended up getting a group of cachers together (a few who had found the cache to insure our success) and we took the reporter and a photographer out on a hunt to find the cache. It was a lot of fun and the article was a good read.

Fame. Yet another reason to log your DNFs.

Edited by NYPaddleCacher

I kinda wish you had used a GPS somewhere in that video, or at least mentioned something more about GPS and using coordinates, and how satellites work, since this is a GPS based hobby. Smart phones are handy, but not accurate enough for hiding. And I kinda wish you hadn't called it a treasure hunt, since there is no treasure. And I kinda wish you had left out the lame lamp post and parking lot caches, because those, to me, are the dumbing down of this hobby. Maybe if it had been a nice sunny day, you could have gone for a nicer walk ,in the woods to someplace special. And I hope the cache owners don't mind their cache hides being publicly exposed, giving away the hides, but I'm guessing the cameraman did not know to not publicly give away the location. But it looks like you had fun anyway. It's not real representative of what I know as geocaching, but maybe that's how it is your area. I wish I still had my old computer. I would send you a copy of the geocaching talk I gave at the local library for the land trust near here some years back. They went on to establish a geocaching policy and actually requested that we hide more caches on their lands.

I kinda wish you had used a GPS somewhere in that video, or at least mentioned something more about GPS and using coordinates, and how satellites work, since this is a GPS based hobby. Smart phones are handy, but not accurate enough for hiding. And I kinda wish you hadn't called it a treasure hunt, since there is no treasure. And I kinda wish you had left out the lame lamp post and parking lot caches, because those, to me, are the dumbing down of this hobby. Maybe if it had been a nice sunny day, you could have gone for a nicer walk ,in the woods to someplace special. And I hope the cache owners don't mind their cache hides being publicly exposed, giving away the hides, but I'm guessing the cameraman did not know to not publicly give away the location. But it looks like you had fun anyway. It's not real representative of what I know as geocaching, but maybe that's how it is your area. I wish I still had my old computer. I would send you a copy of the geocaching talk I gave at the local library for the land trust near here some years back. They went on to establish a geocaching policy and actually requested that we hide more caches on their lands.

WOW! It's not really a good idea to use up all your wishes at once.

WOW! It's not really a good idea to use up all three of your wishes at once.

Sheesh... That's a lot of complaints for one post.

I told them in very eloquent terms about the history of caching starting at May 2nd, 2000 but they didn't use any of that conversation. I didn't make the video.

I've never used anything but an iPhone for caching and I would prefer for people to know that they can get started without having to buy an expensive piece of unnecessary gear.

What does it say on the homepage of GC.com? Treasure Hunt... That's because it helps people to understand what we do.

We only had an hour to look for caches. That limited the ones we could find. I wanted to show variety.

I can not control the weather.

Most of the caches were ones I placed.

I'm sure your talk was moving.

I just took a couple of people out and showed them that caching is fun. It will probably double or triple the caching community in my area.

No regrets.

Very cool.

I had to chuckle about the FTF hunt and "money left in caches". It happens, yes, but let's not give newbies hope that this is what geocaching means. Get used to moldy logsheets, Mctoys, used movie ticket stubs, and a marble. :laughing:

Ha! You're right about that, but again, they used the pieces of our conversation that they wanted to. I didn't get a say in the editorial process. :D

Well it is a nicely made film, well produced, good editing, music, camera angles.

It is sad that it only shows the fast food equivalent of geocaching, not the wonderful gourmet experiences out in the wild, with some big, well kept cache containers and stunning views (although that lass did seem to enjoy the view). Im not sure how I feel about the focus being on town caches. Maybe it is good to keep the countryside walk caches out of the limelight. Giving the remote type of caches more publicity doesn't inspire many people to hide caches in remote areas, it tends to inspire people to hide caches in towns. So at least you are showing some good hiding places, and not all nanos out of reach for the sake of it.

As P & G town caching goes, it is a good summary, and I do like that puzzle cache at the end (I'm not usually one for puzzles). I hope they put a subtitle on the feature which implies there is more than this to caching, and this is just one side of it.

<snip>

I've never used anything but an iPhone for caching and I would prefer for people to know that they can get started without having to buy an expensive piece of unnecessary gear.

<snip>

My iPhone cost more than my rugged, dependable waterproof GPSr. That iPhone resides in a safe protected place when I am mountain biking or kayaking to a cache. The GPSr is front and center where I can use it!

If you spend your time looking for LPCs I suppose a smartphone will do but that is not my preferred brand of geocaching.

The doubling or tripling of new cachers that you think will occur in your area as a result of this video will not only be looking for this kind of lowest common denominator cache, they will also be placing them...with cellphones!

Well, the print version came out today and it's pretty good. They used a lot more of the info I gave them and did a little research as well.

They made it clear that there's more to caching than driving around town.

To the folks who are complaining: I'm very sorry that this one segment is not all things to all people. :blink:

I only had an hour to take this young lady (dressed in a skirt) caching. I made the most that I could of it.

I tried to be a good representative of the hobby. Sorry I let you down.

When your story comes out, I'm sure it will be better.

Edited by Will IB Ready

That was awesome, I wasn't planning on watching it all either, but I did.

Much better than just doing a basic interview, and gives people a good idea of caching.

And the reported seemed to enjoy it too, I still react that was to caches I find now, never mind my first cache :P

Would have loved to see her face if you'd made her do a tree climb cache, but I'm sure she'll discover them at some point if she sticks with caching, she seemed to enjoy it :)

Rather than accusing the last finder of that missing LPC of not being secretive enough and getting seen by the parking lot owners and that being the reason the cache is missing, maybe you should have talked about the absolute requirement of getting permission from the property owner for placing caches. I have found that caches placed with the permission of the property owner aren't usually removed by them.

BTW, have you taken her out yet? She seemed very interested in her caching instructor.

Rather than accusing the last finder of that missing LPC of not being secretive enough and getting seen by the parking lot owners and that being the reason the cache is missing, maybe you should have talked about the absolute requirement of getting permission from the property owner for placing caches. I have found that caches placed with the permission of the property owner aren't usually removed by them.

BTW, have you taken her out yet? She seemed very interested in her caching instructor.

That is my cache, placed with permission of the bank manager.

Permission or not, no one would ever have messed with it if they didn't see a cacher messing with it first. I was just stating the facts.

And I'm married.

That is my cache, placed with permission of the bank manager.

Permission or not, no one would ever have messed with it if they didn't see a cacher messing with it first. I was just stating the facts.

And I'm married.

The only facts are when you went to look for it this time it was missing. Nothing more can be deduced that is not pure speculation.

A cacher could have taken it to their car to sign the log, got distracted and drove off with the cache.

Some kids could have come by and lifted the skirt, saw the cache and took it.

Some one does not like LPC's and removes them.

Any number of possibilities. I don't see throwing the last cacher under the bus as one of them. Convenient, but probably not the truth.

I think complaining about what he said about the LPC being missing is much ado about very little. A tempest in a teapot.

This is a short, introductory video; it's not the Video Encyclopedia of Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About Geocaching. It's very possible it was muggled, and it's very possible it was muggled by someone seeing another cacher lift the skirt. Or it might not have been. But the video editor isn't going to show an explanation of the dozens of possible scenarios leading to the disappearance of the cache.

I think complaining about what he said about the LPC being missing is much ado about very little. A tempest in a teapot.

This is a short, introductory video; it's not the Video Encyclopedia of Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About Geocaching. It's very possible it was muggled, and it's very possible it was muggled by someone seeing another cacher lift the skirt. Or it might not have been. But the video editor isn't going to show an explanation of the dozens of possible scenarios leading to the disappearance of the cache.

Thank you Tricia.

I don't know why I expect this forum to be any different than others.

I've got to learn to just ignore the negative.

Again, I didn't make the video. I talked for an hour straight about every aspect of caching that came to mind. They only used what they wanted to.

The video was well filmed and for the time you were allowed did have some good points.

I hope you get to do a follow up and will take some of the suggestions into consideration. Of course we can't see all that was taped or said, we can only go by what the general population saw.

I hope you have a chance to show a regular size cache, one that is hidden on a trail or at least out of town.

My GPS can be had for $100 and has no data plan and as long as there are batteries never loses service.

You may have mentioned it but it didn't make it in the video - about the time, effort and expense that goes into hiding a cache. That it's not (or shouldn't be) something that is just dropped off on the fly and that should be taken into consideration when logging on line. Simplify putting a TFTC or :) or found it or found it with so and so is very disappointing to the CO. Yes, this is a pet peeve of mine and of many other CO.

Also if you have a chance to add to your video, talk about maintenance on caches.

I realize what you did was just a short beginning guide and you couldn't cover everything, I do hope you can expand on it at some time.

Thank you Tricia.

Again, I didn't make the video. I talked for an hour straight about every aspect of caching that came to mind. They only used what they wanted to.

What you saw as negative could also be seen as suggestions/disappointments of things left out of the final project. I do agree with all the "negative" points.

Ignoring what you don't like is pretty narrow minded. How else do we learn?

When you put something on a forum, you are putting it out for everyone to see and comment on, not all will be kudos.

Thank you Tricia.

C'mon dude. You can't "ignore" constructive criticism, and dismiss it as "idiots on the internet". I know you didn't say exactly that, but you know what I mean. :) Ya' took her to a pill bottle in a Lowe's parking lot. Not only is that a poor location you'd never see featured in a video on say the Official Geocaching.com youtube channel, it's the definitive poor, lazy, non-waterproof cache container.

Actually, of the "constructive criticism's" that have been offered, little has been mentioned, and I'd be most concerned about, exposing cache locations around your small town to miscreants. Looks like Big Rapids, Mi. has a population of 10,000. I'm going to guess everyone in town knows where that bridge over the river is, where that bell with a keyholder is, and where that Lowe's parking lot is.

As far as the good points, you are very personable and well spoken. You did an excellent job of explaining things, and nailed coming off as a subject matter expert. The production of the video itself is excellent. Of course that's not your doing. Best I can tell, it's for a newspaper, and not a TV station? Kudos to them.

Hi. Welcome to the world of public relations. What you describe is exactly what someone in an a PR role has to keep in mind. Thankfully they portrayed Geocaching in a positive light.

Thank you Tricia.

Don't take those remarks so personal.

It's a great video, and a lot of people have told you so.

Other people are just offering other feedback too. Just because some mention some things that might be improved doesn't mean there's anything wrong with your video. Every single thing on the planet can be improved; in the universe even!

It's good that people are writing about things that can be improved because there are many people reading this who may make videos themselves sometimes.

Don't discount feedback just because you consider it "negative."

No, you didn't make this video, but others will benefit from seeing how it can be improved.

You did a great job, you know that. Everyone is saying that.

Take the other feedback as it was meant to be: constructive to those who will be making videos in the future.

You've only been geocaching a year. Some of these people giving feedback have been caching for many years and have additional input. In another year you'll have things to add to your own video too. That is the nature of life. It doesn't mean there's something wrong with this. Don't take it that way.

It's important that we share information on these forums, not only pats on the back. You got those, now hear the info, or at least realize others reading this may need it.

Thank you Tricia.

The feedback and constructive criticism is less about you, personally, and I think more about what we can all think about if we are ever tapped to take part in a great outreach opportunity like this.

What should happen is for Geocaching.com to have generalized press releases available to us, and we should all know to use it when talking to the media. That way we sound like a united group, and less of our "opinion" gets broadcast as fact via media outlets. This thread serves as a display of how a media piece might go, and has evolved into praise and some suggestions about how we can improve on this opportunity.

You're on the Internet; give us links! :laughing:

I found the video well put together and honest. The selection of geocaches is typical of what you would find within an hour in an urban environment. Good or bad. Also to defend smartphones, they are a great way to introduce new people as almost everyone has one and they already understand how they work. If they get serious they can plunk down the change for a real gps later.

I found the video well put together and honest. The selection of geocaches is typical of what you would find within an hour in an urban environment. Good or bad. Also to defend smartphones, they are a great way to introduce new people as almost everyone has one and they already understand how they work. If they get serious they can plunk down the change for a real gps later.

Thanks! :)

I agree with some of the other comments, however, if you were talking for an hour straight, then you may have covered some of the topics like permission, CITO, maintenance, etc and through the magic of PR and editing may have been cut out of the final version. This would be for several reasons, but mainly because it does not fit the scope of the piece.

So even though other may be suggesting other points they didn't see in the video, they are not seeing the big picture that it is an edited piece to fit the reporting company's agenda. Who knows, in a couple of months, they may reuse that hours taping, reedit it and re-show the story with different info being covered, or it could be a one time thing, time will tell. Either way, dont take the comments personally, like already said, it was a great video, and you had no control or input on the editing process. If others cant see or understand that, that is on them. You know what you covered and talked about, the news editors did what they had to, to make the story fit their agenda and time limits.

Gotta say, it was indeed enjoyable :) I don't doubt, by the way you were describing what was included that you covered a lot of the issues critics here mentioned. Even talking about going out to the middle of nowhere implies that there's even more adventurous geocaches to go and find. I think you did great, you did what you could. Criticizing what you did really is pointless since you had no control of how they presented your 'tour', and you likely won't have another chance to do it 'better' :P I think if people have constructive criticism, it should be directed at the station and the editor, rather than you :)

But anyway, great job!