Anyone have any old cache maps of Iowa?

welch

I was recently fliping threw an binder into which I used to clip all my page print outs and such. In the back I found a test print of the state map. And it got me wondering if anybody has anything similar? Or if anyone knows of way to re-create the maps? I think it would rather neat to be able to see 'snap shots' of the growth over the past few years, months even...

Heres the map I have, not sure of the date:

22008_3700.jpg

As I said, it must have been a test. It really poor (draft?) quality, and on lined paper. Wish I could find something better.

And now (as of 6-14-03) Iowa looks like this:

22008_3800.jpg

waypoint_link.gif22008_1700.gif37_gp_logo88x31.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by welch:

Heres the map I have, not sure of the date:

I think it's more recent than two years ago, for what that's worth.

Just about two years ago, we went to a wedding in either Creston or Afton, I forget which (the larger of the two). It was about two weeks after we'd started geocaching, and we were excited about caching in a different state. Unfortunately, at that time the pickings were very slim; everything was down in the SW corner of the state IIRC. I seem to recall the term Loess Hills, "4ST Cache", and a name that today reminds me of trailer hitches. (Maybe something like "Hitch Cache (Ranger Approved)"? I'm not looking any of these up before I type them.)

To add to the geocaching misfortune, while we did remember to bring the eTrex, we forgot to bring the printouts. Oh, well. We did get to see several of the bridges of Madison County, including the Cedar Bridge before it burned. We still haven't cached in Iowa, but it's on the list to do Real Soon Now.

quote:
Originally posted by cottingham:

I think it's more recent than two years ago, for what that's worth.

icon_biggrin.gif Well that would fit the time frame, as I've only be caching about 21months icon_wink.gif and its probly not even that old.

quote:
Just about two years ago, we went to a wedding in either Creston or Afton, I forget which (the larger of the two). It was about two weeks after we'd started geocaching, and we were excited about caching in a different state. Unfortunately, at that time the pickings were very slim; everything was down in the SW corner of the state IIRC. I seem to recall the term Loess Hills, "4ST Cache", and a name that today reminds me of trailer hitches. (Maybe something like "Hitch Cache (Ranger Approved)"? I'm not looking any of these up before I type them.)
Slim eh? icon_smile.gif Yes, Hitch Cache (Ranger Approved) and Loess Hills Cache Seminar were caches out in the SW part of the state (Never heard of the 4ST cache, but thats not surprizing).

So looking at the map, cache pages etc etc.

The map is after:

Sept 01- when I started caching

After the placement of Oakland Mills and Vine by Me, but that doesnt help

There looks to be two caches in the on in Buchanan counties, I assume these are Gobbler's Knob (placed 11-01-01), Tunnel Valley, and Tossed Salad. I visited them on 12-16-01, and IIRC a couple weeks later a new cache popped up(which are not on the map).

but before:

the Waterloo area got a few caches

any of the Tama county caches, You Otter see this 3-23.02

11-4-02 placement of really big pond

Ill look at this more later.

quote:
To add to the geocaching misfortune, while we did remember to bring the eTrex, we forgot to bring the printouts. Oh, well. We did get to see several of the bridges of Madison County, including the Cedar Bridge before it burned. We still haven't cached in Iowa, but it's on the list to do Real Soon Now.
Im glad it wasn't a total wash for you. Btw- did you get the newlyweds into caching or what? icon_razz.gif

Hi,

Cottingham is correct, that map isn't quite two years old. If I recall correctly, that was probably from around Fall/Winter 2001. I think I can identify the single caches in Marshall (Vine by Me) and Johnson (P's Hidden Cache) counties. One of the other caches South of Johnson County might be Oakland Mills Cache, and that also looks like your I-380 BugHotel as well. If I'm right on the caches, then it would have to be after P's Hidden Cache went up, so closer to November maybe.

I went back an scanned our logs from a couple of years ago, and remembered that Marshall County cache, from there I checked when the first cache went up in Johnson County (south of I-80), then took some guesses about a few other caches.

Hey Cottingham, we've made a few trips to KC, and you might enjoy some Iowa caches. KCmose comes through here caching sometimes.

Richard

quote:
_The map is after:_

Sept 01- when I started caching

After the placement of Oakland Mills and Vine by Me, but that doesnt help

There looks to be two caches in the on in Buchanan counties, I assume these are Gobbler's Knob (placed 11-01-01), Tunnel Valley, and Tossed Salad. I visited them on 12-16-01, and IIRC a couple weeks later a new cache popped up(which are not on the map).

_but before:_

the Waterloo area got a few caches

any of the Tama county caches, You Otter see this 3-23.02

11-4-02 placement of really big pond

Ill look at this more later

The map also looks to be before Bunger Bounty, shelley's Safari, and Roadman's Treasure (placed 3-22, 3-29, & 3-31 of 2002)

So far, the map is

11-01-01>>>(the map)<<<3-22-02, right?